• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 P5 coaching jobs on the rise and Top 5 once elite but have fallen

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey ou and Texas fans.

What's fucking dumber-that rapelor is the most elite job in the country or that OKST was in the top 5 at one point? I'll homer the shit out of my school there is no way in hell we were a top 5 destination for a coach.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Insider Haney: Five Power 5 jobs trending up
By Travis Haney

Last week, ESPN Insider ranked the FBS coaching jobs 1-129. Here are the five Power 5 programs with the most momentum and some insight as to why they're upwardly mobile. Plus, we've added five more schools with the best chance to make a leap by 2017.

1. Baylor Bears
Overall job rank: 22

Coaches and agents agree that no job profile has improved faster than Baylor, which surely would have been in the bottom third of Power 5 jobs -- likely even the bottom 10 -- a decade ago.

"When Art Briles took [the Baylor head-coaching job in 2008], no one wanted to go there," an agent told Insider, adding that BU circa 2007 was akin to how we currently perceive Iowa State and Kansas in the Big 12.

How bad was it? In its first 14 seasons in the Big 12, Baylor had 14 losing seasons -- including 13 with four or fewer victories.

Compared to the agent's thought, it would be a remarkably different story if the job opened tomorrow. There's McLane Stadium, the 2-year-old gem of a riverside facility standing as the symbolic rise of Baylor football. The program now has in-state recruiting cachet and is on the radar of recruits, especially skill players, from the beginning of their recruitment. It has Oregon-style appeal, but it's located in the middle of a hotbed for prospects.

Following Briles would be a difficult task for any coach, but it would sure beat preceding him.

2. Ole Miss Rebels
Job rank: 26

At some point in the past two or three years, Ole Miss stopped merely keeping pace in the SEC West and started to carve its place in the most competitive division in the sport.

The West is as competitive off the field as on it, so seeing significant facilities upgrades and a coach now making about $5 million a year provides proof that the gap between the Rebels and Alabama and LSU is as narrow as it's been in this modern era. That's carrying over to the field, where the Rebels have consecutive wins over Tide teams that have twice been in the playoff -- and won it once.

The spending has accentuated and accelerated coach Hugh Freeze's plan, particularly in recruiting. Ole Miss has drawn a blueprint to become a sustainable contender in the conference most difficult to break through.

3. TCU Horned Frogs
Job rank: 25

In Insider's complete FBS rankings, a dozen Group of Five programs leapfrogged power conference schools to make the top 65. Prior to its inclusion in the Big 12 in 2012, TCU would have been one of those mid-major upstarts ranked somewhere in the 40s. Now it's in the top 25 and climbing.

The past three ADs (Eric Hyman, Danny Morrison and Chris Del Conte) undoubtedly played huge roles in terms of support and providing a long-range facilities plan. The conjoined football and hoops complexes are unrecognizable from five years ago.

But make no mistake, the football rise is most closely linked to coach Gary Patterson's influence, which a future staff could look to build upon.

The next step for Patterson is demonstrating that the move to the Big 12 is opening recruiting doors for a school located ideally in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. It seems to be happening. After finishing with an average recruiting ranking of 43rd according to ESPN's RecruitingNation the previous three years, the Frogs jumped to No. 23 in 2016.

4. Louisville Cardinals
Job rank: 32

Louisville's move to the ACC in 2013 was mutually beneficial for the league and the football program, which now has a proper path to the playoff. Sure, dealing with division foes and current national powers Clemson and Florida State isn't ideal, but it's a much better situation than having virtually no shot at the playoff as a Group of Five program.

The infrastructure has been historically strong at Louisville. The administration had the program ready for a jump in class, and more improvements are on the way. Papa John's Cardinal Stadium was way ahead of its time when it opened in 1998. It saw renovations in 2009, and $55 million more will be dedicated for expansion and updates.

Recruiting is and has always been the drawback, but previous staffs have consistently leveraged talent in Florida and Georgia well enough to believe Louisville can find players in the South.

5. Michigan Wolverines
Job rank: 12

This is a job rebounding leaps and bounds after plenty of turmoil in both the head coach's and AD's offices. The brand is no longer ailing.

As we mentioned last week, the work interim AD Jim Hackett did to steady the department -- including getting the deal done with Jim Harbaugh -- was vital to turning around Michigan. And he helped land a permanent leader with promise; Warde Manuel's stint as AD is set to begin later this month.

Harbaugh's year-plus on the job, however heavily covered it has been, has done wonders in terms of creating visibility and recognition with this generation of players. Michigan is cool again. The staff following him could leverage what he's building now.

Five promising programs to watch for the 2017 rankings

Tennessee Volunteers
Job rank:

If not for the current Title IX lawsuit, which coaches are monitoring carefully, this job would likely land in the top 5 listed above. It remains to be seen if missteps were made, but the allegations threaten the leadership that has been improving in recent years. If the case is resolved without major issues, the support and facilities have been trending up for a few years now. But the cloud hovering is too ominous to blithely ignore.

Washington Huskies
Job rank:

Washington's facilities and support are strong, and it's in an underrated recruiting city and state. If coaches wondering about Oregon's future are correct, there's room for UW to make a move in the Pac-12 North.

Miami Hurricanes
Job rank:

Coaches and agents took notice when the Hurricanes broke the bank for Mark Richt and his staff. With better commitment, The U really might be on the way back. But it has to make game days better somehow.

Duke Blue Devils
Job rank:

Is David Cutcliffe, who just signed the country's No. 28 recruiting class in February, figuring out how to create Stanford East? You'd better believe programs such as Vanderbilt are paying attention to this model.

Maryland Terrapins
Job rank:

With Under Armour backing it, Maryland is an intriguing job. There's good local talent, too. It's a shame that it has to share a division with Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan and Penn State.

I read down this list and found myself saying...

1. Baylor- Slimy borderline dirty program. Wont be surprised to see them be the focus of a NCAA investigation soon..

2. Ole Miss- They are already being exposed as a cheating/dirty program. Lost scholorships are in their future imo.

3. TCU- Not too bad now but recently had to suspend around 347 football players over a sting operation that netted a bunch of players for drugs.

4. Louisville- :laugh3: sweet baby Jesus where do I start here? Rick "coat hanger" hooker provider Pitino?
Harley Bob Petrino? Cheatin Charlie Strong and his rule breaking buddy Clint Hurtt? Just a matter of time, probation is in their future for sure.

5. Michigan- Ok Ill buy some of this, Michigan wont have to do THAT much to be "much improved". You Got Urban and Dantonio then.... They should be fine. Harbaugh is already stirring it up in the southeast recruiting grounds so.. Michigan prob WILL make a small move upward and do it relatively clean.

others:

UT- Love my EER brothers but, foul smell coming out of Knoxville recently.

Washington- ok...maybe

Miami- Oh my... is this the part where we are supposed to say that "The U is back"?:L
I admit, I am interested in seeing what Richt can do down there and I think he will run a clean program for Miami.

Duke- Cut is a fantastic coach but.. I think Duke has went about as high as they can go under him.

Maryland- I agree there is potential here but, imo they needed a coaching hire with a lot of "pop" to really tap into to it and.... they swung and missed again.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the point. Your pinnacle never reached the top and now it's all down hill from here.

Yeah, yeah, we get it. You don't see the handwriting on the wall. Wouldn't expect you to.
Pretty much everyone said that after harrington then again after Dixon then after Chip and Oregon kept coming back.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much everyone said that after harrington then again after Dixon then after Chip and Oregon kept coming back.
News Flash: Chip isn't there anymore. That's the point. I predicted the outcome of their last two seasons dead on and I'll give you a clue for my next season outlook, it's not good.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Dream job"
Dream Job doesn't always equate to the top of a particular field. The NFL is the top of the coaching profession. Many coaches want the chance to test themselves at that level. Does it mean it is their dream job? No.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska didn't get a single Texan in their recruiting class? LOL, Reilly was the final straw

It's not the coach. Texas was important to Nebraska for recruiting purposes, but once they left the B12, that was it......no more games in Texas that players and families can attend. Affordability of travel for inner city parents is a big deal. Once they lost those guaranteed games in state, that was the death knell for the program recruiting wise. They have to find a way to convince kids in other large recruiting states like Cali, Florida and Georgia to go all the way out to Nebraska to play. Tough sell.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
News Flash: Chip isn't there anymore. That's the point. I predicted the outcome of their last two seasons dead on and I'll give you a clue for my next season outlook, it's not good.
yeah i said chip was gone already. and Oregon kept going just fine. 9-4 isnt the end. and congrats on your predictions. do you want a cookie? It doesnt mean you are going to get it right every time.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah i said chip was gone already. and Oregon kept going just fine. 9-4 isnt the end. and congrats on your predictions. do you want a cookie? It doesnt mean you are going to get it right every time.
Well you assured us last year that you had the pulse on UW because of your past predictions and failed miserably. Not everyone is follow in those illustrious footsteps.

If you hadn't had Adams last year that team doesn't even make a bowl game and you know it. That's a hell of a lucky break and speaks volumes about that coaching staff. Arguably the most talent in the conf and wouldn't have made shit without a 5th year transfer QB. That team was a complete train wreck when he wasn't in the game. And he's a one and done. Now what? New defense with the same kids as last year and either a brand new QB or another one and done. Not buying into it. Oregon is done.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you assured us last year that you had the pulse on UW because of your past predictions and failed miserably. Not everyone is follow in those illustrious footsteps.

If you hadn't had Adams last year that team doesn't even make a bowl game and you know it. That's a hell of a lucky break and speaks volumes about that coaching staff. Arguably the most talent in the conf and wouldn't have made shit without a 5th year transfer QB. That team was a complete train wreck when he wasn't in the game. And he's a one and done. Now what? New defense with the same kids as last year and either a brand new QB or another one and done. Not buying into it. Oregon is done.
not really i said the over under set by whoever sets those said 4 wins I said I could see that but I could see them getting a bowl. barely. and if I remember correctly they had to beat WSU in the final game of the season to get to 6. I said their schedule set up horribly for them. and it was a tough one. Next year it sets up much better and I could see UW going 9 or 10 wins. I had Oregon at 10 or 11 wins and they were close as only one loss was a blow out. Next year I see Oregon at 10 again.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon doesn't reach double digits next year. Book it.

Even that road game early against WSU isn't a gimmie. Cougs are going to be fired up as hell for that game and have the veteran presence to pull off the upset.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first time in a very long time, I think this is the year Washington breaks the losing streak to Oregon. They look like a legitimate threat to the Pac 12 throne this year.

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to your second post I clearly have a different definition of the word elite than Travis Henley. Nebraska is the only elite coaching job/program on that list. Also, when were Kansas St and Missouri ever consider elite jobs?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to your second post I clearly have a different definition of the word elite than Travis Henley. Nebraska is the only elite coaching job/program on that list. Also, when were Kansas St and Missouri ever consider elite jobs?

Yeah, there were a few on there that I didn't understand either. I would put Auburn up there as well. at least for the article. Penn State would if...well, you know why. Yeah, K-State wasn't attracting any great coaches when Snyder took a break. Don't know why it is considered Once Elite. Clearly wasn't when he took over. I don't understand Mizzou either.

Agent Orange

Harbaugh's shrink
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there were a few on there that I didn't understand either. I would put Auburn up there as well. at least for the article. Penn State would if...well, you know why. Yeah, K-State wasn't attracting any great coaches when Snyder took a break. Don't know why it is considered Once Elite. Clearly wasn't when he took over. I don't understand Mizzou either.

Yeah Auburn would be my #2 on that list; however, I think Penn State is being overrated. Since joining the B1G they've won three conference titles which give them one more than Iowa, ties with Sparty, and one less than Wisconsin. They weren't doing anything on the field before Sandusky, Sparty was on the rise before the scandal, so that's not a valid excuse. All of their hype comes from a time when they were independent. Put them in the B1G and they are no better than fourth best team in the conference... that's not elite.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you are just looking through your maize and blue glasses and ignoring a decade of failure and wasted recruiting classes coming out of Ann Arbor. There has to be some significant decline when the AD is running buy two cokes get two free tickets promotion, fireworks, changing uniforms like your Oregon, hiring skywriters to fly over a rivals stadium and then lying about it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread was golden wasn't it? :pound:

Oly was still trying to hold down the fort.

047153d8f7d7dd3a70c8b7a78b1641dddc8108a885fc984d8a5860dfaaca75fc.jpg

Didn't end well for him though. :rip:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Good times..... Good times.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not really the first "decline"
remember the Joey Harrington years? #2 in the country and then they went down, much farther than they are now or will be any time soon. but then they came back up. and they had mini dips and rises. Oregon will be in the hunt for the Pac title again this year.
You bring up NC but if Oregon never won one before, how can it be a decline if they still havent?
e86aac3432c7e3fe1355aa141a057980.gif

DGeO7sWVoAE5owU.jpg