• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 Movies of 2014 (So Far)

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have seen a fair share of really good movies this year. Here are my top 5 so far

1) Interstellar
- A magnificent visual display (very 2001: a space odyssey esque) strung together by a transcending sense of love. It's not Nolan's absolute best, but still great and my favorite so far this year because it's such a thrilling ride.

2) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- The CGI and body suit acting for the Apes was as realistic as I've ever seen it. The job they're doing with the visuals and the camera work is amazing. The story is also well done and the audience is drawn in to the characters to sympathize for them.

3) Guardians of the Galaxy
- No other movie is as fun to watch as Guardians of the Galaxy. Not only does it offer thrills and laughs, but the characters draw the audience in and become attached to them. Not as epic as The Avengers, but arguably more fun to watch

4) Gone Gilr
- The book will always be better because it details who each character are and you get to know more as the reader. However, the movie was very well done and visually David Fincher captured the true essence of Gone Girl. The acting was incredible from Rosamund Pike and surprisingly Ben Affleck made a good Nick Dunne with just the right amount of smug and cockiness contrasted with being weak and unreliable

5) X-Men: Days of Future Past
- It's so incredible seeing that entire stellar cast all together in one movie contributing to the war in some way. Magneto and Prof X continue to be the best story for a duo. Quicksilver was a scene stealer and a runaway favorite from the fans. Just an overall really well done film.

Honorable Mentions
- Edge of Tomorrow, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Lego Movie

What are your guy's top 5 this year?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Lego Movie
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Captain America 2

Need to see: Birdman, Snowpiercer, Boyhood

Overrated: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Nightcrawler

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen all the big ones that I want to yet, but...

1. Interstellar - I don't know if it's actually the best film I saw but it was visually amazing and has me thinking through it still. I'll be seeing it again soon.

2. X-Men: Days of Future Past - Everything about this film was great.

3. Guardians of the Galaxy - Could be #2. Awesome space adventure with great characters and the humor was the kicker.

4. Lego Movie - Way beyond expectations

5. Captain America 2

Edge of Tomorrow was great as well. Probably #6. Still want to see Gone Girl, Nightcrawler, Big Hero 6, Foxcatcher, Hunger Games 3.1, Horrible Bosses 2, and The Imitation Game (Not out yet)

Snowpiercer was absolute garbage. So many plot holes!

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll wait till [2015] for = ''fast-n-furious/7'',...''hot-tub/time-machine/2''.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Lego Movie
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Captain America 2

Need to see: Birdman, Snowpiercer, Boyhood

Overrated: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Nightcrawler

Forgot about Snowpiercer. It was a hell of a sci fi. Very great story and an amazing depiction of the dystopian future. 9/10

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, 2014 stunk as far as movies go huh?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, 2014 stunk as far as movies go huh?
I think its been sneaky good, actually. Best picture winner will almost undoubtedly be better than the Kings Speech or Hurt Locker or Slumdog Millionaire

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lego Movie was AWESOME!!!

Guardians of the Galaxy was cool.

Gone girl was ridiculous IMHO and too effing long.

Haven't seen Interstellar yet.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have seen a fair share of really good movies this year. Here are my top 5 so far

1) Interstellar
- A magnificent visual display (very 2001: a space odyssey esque) strung together by a transcending sense of love. It's not Nolan's absolute best, but still great and my favorite so far this year because it's such a thrilling ride.

- The CGI and body suit acting for the Apes was as realistic as I've ever seen it. The job they're doing with the visuals and the camera work is amazing. The story is also well done and the audience is drawn in to the characters to sympathize for them.

- No other movie is as fun to watch as Guardians of the Galaxy. Not only does it offer thrills and laughs, but the characters draw the audience in and become attached to them. Not as epic as The Avengers, but arguably more fun to watch

4) Gone Gilr
- The book will always be better because it details who each character are and you get to know more as the reader. However, the movie was very well done and visually David Fincher captured the true essence of Gone Girl. The acting was incredible from Rosamund Pike and surprisingly Ben Affleck made a good Nick Dunne with just the right amount of smug and cockiness contrasted with being weak and unreliable

- It's so incredible seeing that entire stellar cast all together in one movie contributing to the war in some way. Magneto and Prof X continue to be the best story for a duo. Quicksilver was a scene stealer and a runaway favorite from the fans. Just an overall really well done film.

Honorable Mentions

I just came in to say that Interstellar was one of the worst movies I've seen in a LONG time. Absolutely awful. How can anybody have enjoyed that, especially considering it absolutely was NOT a magnificent visual display even though it could have easily been.

Just can't get over how disappointed I was by that boring-ass, way too long movie considering how much I love Nolan's work.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've not seen enough of 2014's films to tally up a top five (after all, the holiday season is choked with releases), but, presently holding one of the top five slots is The Grand Budapest Hotel.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its been sneaky good, actually. Best picture winner will almost undoubtedly be better than the Kings Speech or Hurt Locker or Slumdog Millionaire

There have only been a few movies over the past 4 or 5 years I've been excited to see. Hollywood has been slacking lately IMO. Either they're dropping overdone comic book movies, kids animation, remakes, CGIfests, or romcoms.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 5 would be the pron spoofs of all those.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.Maleficent
2.The Lego Movie
3.Captain America 2 :The Winter Soldier
4.When the Game Stands Tall

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Birdman
2. Lego Movie
3. Captain America
4. Guardians of the Galaxy

Still need to see Boyhood and Unbroken

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Birdman
2. Lego Movie
3. Captain America
4. Guardians of the Galaxy

Still need to see Boyhood and Unbroken

Boyhood confused the shit out of me because I watched it without knowing the background on the filming (I researched it afterwards because it was freaking me out a little), but other than that, the story itself was just okay for me. I wonder if I watch it again, knowing what I know about the making of the film, I might enjoy it more. :noidea:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Interstellar

4) Gone Gilr

Honorable Mentions

I like your list. Haven't seen Gone Girl or Interstellar yet, but have seen the rest including your honorable mentions.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was amazing. I think I liked Rise a little tiny bit better. Dawn is certainly in my top 5 this year, though.

Guardians of the Galaxy was fine. Love those comics, loved the cast, but the movie was just fine for me. Fun, but no desire to see it again. I think it was about as overrated as The Avengers, but yeah, fine. I liked The Lego Movie a lot more.

Keaton was great in Birdman, and I'd like to see him win the SAG. Fuck the Oscars. I didn't think the movie as a whole was all that great, but worth paying to see for Keaton.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keaton was great in Birdman, and I'd like to see him win the SAG. Fuck the Oscars. I didn't think the movie as a whole was all that great, but worth paying to see for Keaton.
The movie works on many levels, imo. Its the only movie that Ive actually thought about much after leaving the film.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie works on many levels, imo. Its the only movie that Ive actually thought about much after leaving the film.

yeah, it was very good. i'll watch it again. wish i had gotten to see it in the theater, but it wasn't playing anywhere around here.

i think i just ended up comparing every drama i saw this year to Whiplash, which is my favorite i've seen this year.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen all of those movies listed.
I know I'll be in the minority, but I rather liked "Saving Mr. Banks" and "Jersey Boys". But because both lack any computer generated anything, I suspect they didn't keep many of the little pea brains activated for very long.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, it was very good. i'll watch it again. wish i had gotten to see it in the theater, but it wasn't playing anywhere around here.

i think i just ended up comparing every drama i saw this year to Whiplash, which is my favorite i've seen this year.

Whiplash got nominated for best picture. I'm happy.