• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 30 QB Prospects of the Modern Era

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much hypocrisy with a taint of jealousy. You wet your shorts talking about Tuas long TD pass last season where the guy was ...... wait for it..... wide open. lol
And your line about Hurts is so off it's hilarious. He was literally replaced because he couldn't throw a pea in the ocean.

That wasn't even Tua's best throw that year, maybe it was a big deal because it came in OT at the end of a comeback to win a national championship?

And once again, the problem with Hurts is mostly mental. He struggles to see the wide open guys down the field and often bails on the pocket too early. If/when he learns to stay in the pocket, keep his eyes downfield he can become a great passer. If you think he was replaced because of arm accuracy, then you're an idiot.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Kelly, but have to disagree.

KB served as the face of the program to the best of his ability, but the change was necessary to get us over the hump.

You guys can think what you want, but from the other side I can tell you that you won because of your defense and because of Ross and others taking advantage of Savion Smith(#4). Obviously not saying KB compares, but I think you still would have won easily given the shit Alabama put on the field. Your coaching staff basically had it's way on both sides of the ball and made Saban pay dearly for thinking he could put recruiters in those kinds of positions.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sound like a jealous homer right now.

Btw, this is just stupid. I was extremely impressed with Clemson as a whole and it was probably the one time since Saban has been at Alabama that I saw a team that even remotely compared to Alabama in terms of coaching, players being ready etc. Clemson was everything Alabama fans normally expect to see from Alabama and Clemson shoved it down our throats.

Left me a bit like:
tenor.gif

But at no point in that entire game was I thinking "Well if not for this QB we'd be doing a hell of a lot better" or anything remotely like that. Sorry, that's the stone cold truth.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, are you suggesting Lawrence can make throws that Tua can't?

:lol:

Also: double :lol: for quoting ball speed numbers. Where does Brady or Manning rank there?

Im not suggesting anything — unless Tua can also throw with the same velocity and distance as Lawrence, which exactly one QB in the last decade has done so at the NFL combine. There are ALOT of passes he can make that Tua cannot. I should say — a lot of passes he can successfully make.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, this is just stupid. I was extremely impressed with Clemson as a whole and it was probably the one time since Saban has been at Alabama that I saw a team that even remotely compared to Alabama in terms of coaching, players being ready etc. Clemson was everything Alabama fans normally expect to see from Alabama and Clemson shoved it down our throats.

Left me a bit like:
tenor.gif

But at no point in that entire game was I thinking "Well if not for this QB we'd be doing a hell of a lot better" or anything remotely like that. Sorry, that's the stone cold truth.

Yeah — why would you think that while he throws for 325 yards and 3 tds?!?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not suggesting anything — unless Tua can also throw with the same velocity and distance as Lawrence, which exactly one QB in the last decade has done so at the NFL combine. There are ALOT of passes he can make that Tua cannot. I should say — a lot of passes he can successfully make.

Al Davis and Jamarcus Russell agree.

JohnstoneC8

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys can think what you want, but from the other side I can tell you that you won because of your defense and because of Ross and others taking advantage of Savion Smith(#4). Obviously not saying KB compares, but I think you still would have won easily given the shit Alabama put on the field. Your coaching staff basically had it's way on both sides of the ball and made Saban pay dearly for thinking he could put recruiters in those kinds of positions.

Fair enough man. It'll be interesting to see how TL does in the off-season with the training table and lifting. I'd love to see him come out 10-15 pounds heavier in the fall.

Yep, familiar with Savion. We were drooling over him before his LSU commit. Kind of disappointed in how he went out, no offense.

I do think TL had a few throws in the game where he threw the receiver open - but we'll always look at it through different lenses, no doubt.

That said, the late rollout to the left where Tua threw back shoulder to your RB (can't remember if it was Jacobs, think it was) was fuckin beautiful. Game was essentially over, but damn it was pretty.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah — why would you think that while he throws for 325 yards and 3 tds?!?

Because it wasn't him as much as it was the coaching and team.

When we played Clemson in 2016, they won that game because of Watson. That is an example of a QB who takes over the game and wins it.

Sorry you can't tell the difference.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough man. It'll be interesting to see how TL does in the off-season with the training table and lifting. I'd love to see him come out 10-15 pounds heavier in the fall.

Yep, familiar with Savion. We were drooling over him before his LSU commit. Kind of disappointed in how he went out, no offense.

I do think TL had a few throws in the game where he threw the receiver open - but we'll always look at it through different lenses, no doubt.

That said, the late rollout to the left where Tua threw back shoulder to your RB (can't remember if it was Jacobs, think it was) was fuckin beautiful. Game was essentially over, but damn it was pretty.

Lawrence is a great QB and you have him for 2 more years so he's going to get better and all that, don't get me wrong. I totally get Clemson fans excitement. But I mean his performance doesn't even remotely compare to Watson in 2016 for example, and yet people are acting like he's worlds better. I just don't see it that way.

I felt like Watson did all that in 2016, and I felt like omg this QB is killing us. He threw guys open in that game over and over. It was a hell of a performance.

I felt like this past one was a team/coaching effort. That's all.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn't even Tua's best throw that year, maybe it was a big deal because it came in OT at the end of a comeback to win a national championship?

And once again, the problem with Hurts is mostly mental. He struggles to see the wide open guys down the field and often bails on the pocket too early. If/when he learns to stay in the pocket, keep his eyes downfield he can become a great passer. If you think he was replaced because of arm accuracy, then you're an idiot.

Yeah, Hurts was removed even though he was such an accurate passer. lol

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Hurts was removed even though he was such an accurate passer. lol

It doesn't matter how accurate you are when you don't throw the ball because you bailed on the pocket before any pressure really hits and never see the open receivers.

Once again, his problems are mental and fixable. He wasn't just standing in the pocket missing open people with his passes and shit.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter how accurate you are when you don't throw the ball because you bailed on the pocket before any pressure really hits and never see the open receivers.

Once again, his problems are mental and fixable. He wasn't just standing in the pocket missing open people with his passes and shit.

He bails because he knows he can't get them the ball in the right spot. If he was as accurate as you say he would have the confidence to stay in there and deliver the ball. It's not like he's un athletic and a statue back there. His athleticism should buy him more time and allow him to find guys open. But he can't deliver a well placed ball unless the receivers open by five yards so he takes off.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He bails because he knows he can't get them the ball in the right spot. If he was as accurate as you say he would have the confidence to stay in there and deliver the ball. It's not like he's un athletic and a statue back there. His athleticism should buy him more time and allow him to find guys open. But he can't deliver a well placed ball unless the receivers open by five yards so he takes off.

Ok.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize Clemsons schedule was almost as bad as UCF's this past year right? Hurts never struggled until he played against top defenses. And for the record, Hurts can make the same throws - physically, that's not where he was lacking. His problem is that he bailed on the pocket to early and things like that. But it's not really the point here, as I'm not trying to compare the 2, just pointing out that "true freshman" doesn't mean anything - unless you are a Clemson fan, in which case you are excited because you get a great QB for 2 more years.

And it wasn't really just Ross, although he was pretty spectacular, but also on our coaching and Savion Smith - who was shit and literally quit on the team. Like that 70 something yard TD - sorry I do not really think "Oh what a great QB" even though it was a 70+ yard TD pass supposedly.

I saw a few great plays and that was it - something you can see from most all QBs at some point. You guys can keep on, but he didn't win that game for Clemson or anything.
I'd bet that Lawrence progresses even further next year into the Heisman winner. It's hard for you to understand, but from an outsider's perspective, doing that against an Alabama defense isn't something you ever expect to see.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd bet that Lawrence progresses even further next year into the Heisman winner. It's hard for you to understand, but from an outsider's perspective, doing that against an Alabama defense isn't something you ever expect to see.

What did he do again?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al Davis and Jamarcus Russell agree.

I simply answered your question. If you don’t think Lawrence can make throws Tua cannot — that isn’t my issue.

His size and arm strength says otherwise.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I saw, since you guys can't actually show anything he did that was great.

3rd and 14, he throws a 62 yard pass to Tee Higgins as Savion Smith(#4) just lets the guy run by him on bad coverage. He looks down the reciever the entire time, does nothing special other than hitting a wide open guy. Next play they run it in for a TD, but this was the big play on that drive from him.

Next scoring drive for Clemson. 1st play of the drive, he throws it to Higgens, but gets a PI because Savion Smith is covering. Once again he stares down the receiver the entire time.

Keep watching, as the next play he gets a 26 yard pass on a screen play, Mac Wilson takes a bad angle again.

Later on in the same drive after a few runs, 3rd and 5. 14 yard pass to Higgens because Savion Smith for some reason decides to drop man coverage on him and goes to zone. You don't even see him in the inital play because he just doesn't cover the guy. Clemson runs it in for a TD 2 plays later.

On to the next scoring drive for Clemson, lots of passing on this drive. Drive starts on their own side of the field after an interception.

2 quick passes for about 13 yards.
incomplete pass
pass behind the line of scrimmage gets tipped up high, but caught and carried a few yards.
next pass is a 26 yard pass to a wide up Amari Rodgers in the middle as guess who - Savion Smith, is a good 3 yards behind him.
Quick run up the middle for nothing, followed by a 5 yard TD shovel pass, his first TD of the night.

The score is now 28-16, almost halftime, they have 1 more drive where they go for a FG. It continues and I might go even further breaking it down. Haven't even got to the 76 yard TD pass to Ross as Savion Smith gets burned so bad he fakes an injury over it.

You see all that bolded shit? That's why I put this on Clemson's Coaches, not on the stats of a true freshman QB. I'm not cherry picking, I didn't even show his errors in the 3 and outs. You're only as strong as your weakest link and Clemson abused that fuck out of it. Good coaching, not great QB.