• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 30 QB Prospects of the Modern Era

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Vince Young literally got a perfect rating coming out of High School? Interesting. National title or not, Wow.

247 is basically showing how bad they are at rating players.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like i feel he was a bigger prospect than #5.......that make sense?
I was confused because you said he should've been higher and he's high. Wasn't sure if that was a double entendre.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Vince Young literally got a perfect rating coming out of High School? Interesting. National title or not, Wow.

247 is basically showing how bad they are at rating players.
Consider the timeframe. It'd been a long time, if ever, that there had been a QB his size who was an elite athlete that could also pass. They're not rating them on how good they'll be in the pros, so I'd say 247 got that one pretty spot on. In 2005 he was 3rd in the nation in QB rating but was also arguably the best weapon at QB on the ground.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As college QBs, I think the only misses in the top 10 were Berlin, Croyle, and Shepard. However the rest of them had at least decent college success. As NFL arms? Absolute misses, save for Lawrence and Fields as they're TBD.

You OBVIOUSLY didn't watch Croyle in 2005, his only real season as a starter where he wasn't injured. Dude was amazing. He was a true pocket passer, unfortunately we didn't always have a great offensive line during the Shula years, which resulted in him getting injured not once, but twice for a full season. He was not a miss, just heavily undercoached by Shula, like most of our best players in that era.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You OBVIOUSLY didn't watch Croyle in 2005, his only real season as a starter where he wasn't injured. Dude was amazing. He was a true pocket passer, unfortunately we didn't always have a great offensive line during the Shula years, which resulted in him getting injured not once, but twice for a full season. He was not a miss, just heavily undercoached by Shula, like most of our best players in that era.

It's fair that he was better than several in the top 10 but certainly underperformed given the results that would be expected of that kind of rating. As you said the team and coach were a factor

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why all of you are bitching so much. As far as I can tell, 247 is rating QBs for their college potential. How they did in the pros is irrelevant.

1. Vince Young was one of the great college football players of all time, who played one of the best games ever in the championship. He was a definite win.
2. Trevor Lawrence just had the best freshman season for a quarterback in history, and maybe the best freshman season ever (Hershel probably beats him).
3. Justin Fields might have been a miss, but we don't know yet.
4. Berlin wasn't a superstar, but was a really good quarterback playing right as the U collapsed, and he did single-handedly pull off their biggest comeback ever against the Gators, won the Orange bowl, and was first team QB for the Big East and the ACC.
5. Pryor won 2 Big Ten championships and was Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl MVP
6. Barkley broke all kinds of USC records and was like #6 in the Heisman voting his junior season.
7. Clausen was decent in 2009 but overall a bit of a miss
8. Sanchez was the second best quarterback in USC history statistically, and they may well have been the best team in the country in 2008 because of his excellent play.
9. Croyle was really good before his injury, but spent most of his college career with terrible shoulder and ligament injuries. After recovering, he took a really bad Bama team to a 10-2 record and was a Unitas finalist.
10. Russel Shepard was a major miss, though there would have been no way of knowing he'd be incapable of playing QB in college

I could keep going, but I think the list shows 247, on the whole, is a decent judge of talent. No, they're not all Heisman contenders. But most took their teams to championships, setting records and at least winning conference MVP awards along the way. Plus, the Heisman is basically a joke now, so what they actually did on the field is what matters. And most of them were definite hits.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fair that he was better than several in the top 10 but certainly underperformed given the results that would be expected of that kind of rating. As you said the team and coach were a factor
As a total career, agreed it wasn't as expected. But to say he was a flop, as ATF did, is just flat out wrong. A 10-2 season amidst a bunch of 6-6s with other scrubs at QB is not a flop.

I remember when Dee Hart was at Alabama, he was expected to be the second coming of Chris Johnson. He got injured two years in a row, transferred to Colorado State... and when he was fully healthy, absolutely balled out and the Rams went 10-2.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No shit he underperformed. How about you let me tear your ACL and separate your shoulder and see how well you can play football? Football is a risky game, and players are like thoroughbreds. One part that's messed up in their body can make the entire machine fail. I feel bad for the guy, as he was incredibly accurate and composed (and still has the fewest picks in Bama history). But his body just failed him. That's irrelevant to his talent.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why all of you are bitching so much. As far as I can tell, 247 is rating QBs for their college potential. How they did in the pros is irrelevant.

1. Vince Young was one of the great college football players of all time, who played one of the best games ever in the championship. He was a definite win.
2. Trevor Lawrence just had the best freshman season for a quarterback in history, and maybe the best freshman season ever (Hershel probably beats him).
3. Justin Fields might have been a miss, but we don't know yet.
4. Berlin wasn't a superstar, but was a really good quarterback playing right as the U collapsed, and he did single-handedly pull off their biggest comeback ever against the Gators, won the Orange bowl, and was first team QB for the Big East and the ACC.
5. Pryor won 2 Big Ten championships and was Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl MVP
6. Barkley broke all kinds of USC records and was like #6 in the Heisman voting his junior season.
7. Clausen was decent in 2009 but overall a bit of a miss
8. Sanchez was the second best quarterback in USC history statistically, and they may well have been the best team in the country in 2008 because of his excellent play.
9. Croyle was really good before his injury, but spent most of his college career with terrible shoulder and ligament injuries. After recovering, he took a really bad Bama team to a 10-2 record and was a Unitas finalist.
10. Russel Shepard was a major miss, though there would have been no way of knowing he'd be incapable of playing QB in college

I could keep going, but I think the list shows 247, on the whole, is a decent judge of talent. No, they're not all Heisman contenders. But most took their teams to championships, setting records and at least winning conference MVP awards along the way. Plus, the Heisman is basically a joke now, so what they actually did on the field is what matters. And most of them were definite hits.

I think it's fair to say most are basing that on how they projected out to the NFL.

Lawrence seems like a shoe in to break that mold however

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a miss as a top 10 talent. In his best college season, he threw 14 TDs and was 43rd in QB rating with a sub-60% completion percentage. He was an absolute miss.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit he underperformed. How about you let me tear your ACL and separate your shoulder and see how well you can play football? Football is a risky game, and players are like thoroughbreds. One part that's messed up in their body can make the entire machine fail. I feel bad for the guy, as he was incredibly accurate and composed (and still has the fewest picks in Bama history). But his body just failed him. That's irrelevant to his talent.
Career 56.2% completion percentage. Injury or not, this is not an accurate statement.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

I guess I will remain the only one not that impressed by him.

A lot of guys can look the part in college too though.

Even though Haskins as an example has a strong arm he is able to make very easy throws about 85 percent of the time. We will see how adjusts to the NFL

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford yes, but Vince was crap from Day 1. His "Rookie of the Year" award is the biggest sham in the history of the award.

Yeah vastly overrated bc he had CJ2K alongside him as well but we saw glimpses of what he could have been, but mostly saw what he really was. A great runner in college than didn't translate (no surprise), very inconsistent with his accuracy.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider the timeframe. It'd been a long time, if ever, that there had been a QB his size who was an elite athlete that could also pass. They're not rating them on how good they'll be in the pros, so I'd say 247 got that one pretty spot on. In 2005 he was 3rd in the nation in QB rating but was also arguably the best weapon at QB on the ground.

Yep, it's all college. Some have him as the best college QB of all-time. I wouldn't agree but he was one of the most dynamic athletes at QB, especially when he played, we ever saw play the game. He didn't have the career most college QB's did bc of the short time frame but still one of the best. The perfect rating makes sense.