• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too soon for an NFL thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a scientist (where's Darkstone) I wonder how much the mile high air really means. Didn't Jason Elam tie the old record when he played for Denver and the game was in Denver?

Seriously, does it make the ball carry an extra 2 yards...three yards? Just wondering and not taking anything away from that record 64 yards is a long fucking way.

Like dash said, there's a notable difference in carry in Denver over other American sports cities. Lower atmospheric pressure means less drag. The reality is that a ball traveling through air is interacting with particles the whole time, and the collisions slow the ball down. There are fewer particles where there are lower pressures. Fewer collisions mean less of a slowing effect on the ball.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the History of the NFL, only 13 FG's have been made from 60+ yards.

Of those 13, only 3 have been in Denver.

Hmmmm Interesting. All I know is I was standing on a football field one day and was 60 yards from the goal post and though Holy fuck that's a long way. It makes you appreciate what a strong leg these kickers have.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm Interesting. All I know is I was standing on a football field one day and was 60 yards from the goal post and though Holy fuck that's a long way. It makes you appreciate what a strong leg these kickers have.

I did some kicking the day after Thanksgiving. The leg wasn't my problem, it's keeping it between the uprights from those distances.

20-25, no problem. 30-35, though, even though I always had the leg, it was so hard to keep the ball straight. And I was setting up in the middle of the field. Tried a few from 40, too. That's where the leg started to fail. Got one far enough, but none of them were on target.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like dash said, there's a notable difference in carry in Denver over other American sports cities. Lower atmospheric pressure means less drag. The reality is that a ball traveling through air is interacting with particles the whole time, and the collisions slow the ball down. There are fewer particles where there are lower pressures. Fewer collisions mean less of a slowing effect on the ball.

Thanks, It would be difficult to calculate the actual distance because of the possible variables from a mile high city vs a city at sea level though correct? Still a pretty impressive kick.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did some kicking the day after Thanksgiving. The leg wasn't my problem, it's keeping it between the uprights from those distances.

20-25, no problem. 30-35, though, even though I always had the leg, it was so hard to keep the ball straight. And I was setting up in the middle of the field. Tried a few from 40, too. That's where the leg started to fail. Got one far enough, but none of them were on target.

Soccer style or straight away? 40 is still pretty good.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, It would be difficult to calculate the actual distance because of the possible variables from a mile high city vs a city at sea level though correct? Still a pretty impressive kick.

I don't know the equations, but you could calculate net travel distance assuming the same initial trajectory and velocity as a function of pressure.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soccer style or straight away? 40 is still pretty good.

Soccer style.

I always used to take some kicks after football practice in high school. I was the long snapper, and we had a really good kicker, so I wasn't going to get a shot in the game, but I just enjoyed doing it.

Before rugby practices, I would take a bunch of drop kicks. I got really good at those. I was consistent from upwards of 44 meters, assuming I took my time and all. But only kicking around once a year now, I just don't have the timing anymore.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone watching this Seattle SF game? This is a good game !!!!!

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Shit! Last I saw, the Broncos were losing 21-20 at halftime, and now they are winning 44-28 with 9 minutes left in the 4th.

Manning having another big day. 36-54, 373 yards, 4TD's.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The zebras seem to be having a tough day in a few of the games today.

That 15 yards total punt return yard by the Hawks this year is insane !!!!!

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaaaanndd the Giants season is officially over.

They really need to address their secondary and their LB core. O-line could use a re-tool too. Maybe a gamebreaking back who can hold on to the ball. Ohh and a tight end would be useful. That's it though.

Should be an easy off-season. :L

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times has Jack Buck said that the 49ers desperately need this game?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers celebrating like they're going to the Super Bowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.