• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

too soon for an NFL thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of years ago, no, but Buddy Nix seems to be doing pretty good when it comes to the draft the past couple of years. I remember when everyone bashed him for taking Spiller with the 1st pick at #8, and look how that turned out.

They spent a looooong time looking at all the QB's, and they must have seen something that made them want to go with him over Smith, Barkley, and even Nassib. At least with Nassib, he would have the same coach and OC from Syracuse, so there has to be something about Manuel that impressed them.

I'm not going to hold my breath or anything, but crazier things have happened before in the NFL, why not this time?

Like I said, the ceiling is actually reasonably high, but he has a lot of work to get there, and he's going to need a very good coach.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm so glad I'm not a Bills fan. I feel bad for those of you who are.

Nassib was the biggest reason why Marrone got the Bills job & he passed on him. OUCH!!

Who better to know if Nassib is the right fit for the Bills than someone like Marrone? Nassib could have been a smoke screen this whole time just to take someone else like Manuel?

Either Marrone felt that Manuel was a better choice than Nassib, or he didn't get to have a say.

Manuel has the raw talent and the upside to be a franchise QB, but he's going to need some polishing first. Who cares if it takes a year or two, we have Kolb right now.

:gaah:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kolb's not as bad as you might think. He's a capable starter. He's just not a franchise quarterback. But you can win with him if you have some talent around him.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the plus side, the Bills drafted the QB they wanted while also picking up 2 more draft picks.

So there's that.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who better to know if Nassib is the right fit for the Bills than someone like Marrone? Nassib could have been a smoke screen this whole time just to take someone else like Manuel?

Either Marrone felt that Manuel was a better choice than Nassib, or he didn't get to have a say.

Manuel has the raw talent and the upside to be a franchise QB, but he's going to need some polishing first. Who cares if it takes a year or two, we have Kolb right now.

:gaah:

One thing that was mentioned about Manuel during the analysis was that he only used half the field. He looked at his first two reads & if nothing was their he ran with the ball. Their were so many good players still on the board. You guys could have had Tavon Austin. Johnson, Spiller & Austin would have been GREAT!

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kolb's not as bad as you might think. He's a capable starter. He's just not a franchise quarterback. But you can win with him if you have some talent around him.

The Cardinals gave up the most sacks in the league last year. It will be interesting to see how Kolb bounces back from an injury riddled season.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that was mentioned about Manuel during the analysis was that he only used half the field. He looked at his first two reads & if nothing was their he ran with the ball. Their were so many good players still on the board. You guys could have had Tavon Austin. Johnson, Spiller & Austin would have been GREAT!

Then just imagine how good he's going to be once a coach tells him there is another half to the field.

After 13 years, I guess I just have to Billeive they know what they're doing.

The one thing he has on Fitz is that he doesn't have the gunslinger mentality. He's at least a little more careful with the ball.

That just means he's going to get sacked more.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then just imagine how good he's going to be once a coach tells him there is another half to the field.

After 13 years, I guess I just have to Billeive they know what they're doing.

I just wonder if he has the pocket presence to look for his 3rd or 4th progression.

I hope it works out.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If we can develop this guy, he has the talent to take you to the dance," Nix said. "This guy was further along than most of them as far as his knowledge of the game. ... This guy, to us, has got leadership qualities. He's smart. And he's big."

Well, I guess that answers that.

2013 NFL draft -- Buffalo Bills select EJ Manuel of Florida State with 16th overall pick - ESPN

We're certainly going to find out. It's going to be interesting to see how he handles bad weather. Last I checked it doesn't snow in Florida.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not opposed to having Manuel as the new QB, but taking him at 16 was a waste. Not a single QB had been selected yet and every team behind them for the rest of the 1st round already has their franchise QB.

They could have taken Patterson at the 16 spot and still picked up a good QB prospect in the 2nd with either their own or STL's acquired pick. If they were set on it being Manuel they could have packaged one or both of those 2nds to move up in the 2nd or even back into the 1st.

Instead they drafted a guy way too early and failed to address their huge need at WR.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see Lacy in a Steelers uniform!!!!

Yeah, I'd love to see Lacy still on the board when Pittsburgh selects in the 2nd round. Something tells me that won't happen, though. I see him going in top 5-10 of rd 2.

If it ends up being a back, I think John Franklin from UCLA or Le'Veon Bell from MSU might be available for the Steelers in Rd. 2.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd love to see Lacy still on the board when Pittsburgh selects in the 2nd round. Something tells me that won't happen, though. I see him going in top 5-10 of rd 2.

If it ends up being a back, I think John Franklin from UCLA or Le'Veon Bell from MSU might be available for the Steelers in Rd. 2.

No way Lacy makes it to the Steelers. Too many teams with a need at RB for him to slide that far.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Lacy makes it to the Steelers. Too many teams with a need at RB for him to slide that far.

Those are my thoughts, as well. To be honest... considering that there were no running backs selected in the first round, the depth at the position is obviously very strong, and because of that it would not surprise me to see Pittsburgh go in another direction in round two (WR,TE,DB).

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt, I have to wonder what your boy Jerrah Jones was thinking last nite. He made the trade with San Fran to give up the 18th overall in exchange for SF's 31st overall, plus 2013 3rd rd pick (74th overall).

Ok, not a bad move on first glance. Dallas didn't see the value at their original slot, so they swapped it, and got an extra 3rd for their troubles.

Then New England trades away their 29th overall selection to Minny in exchange for Minny's 2013 second(52), third(83), fourth(102) and seventh.

I realize it wasn't a swap of firsts, like Dallas and SF exchanged... but how in the hell does the 29th overall land you four more picks, while the 18th overall only landed you a swapped 1st(31st), plus a 3rd(74)? :noidea:

Minny gave up way too much, and Dallas didn't get near enough back, in my humble opinion.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2013 first round by college conference:

SEC | 12
ACC | 6
PAC12 | 5
BIG12 | 3