• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson, Carter, or Anderson should be there at #5. And if for some reason they're not (let's say Bears take Anderson, Cards take Carter, and Indy takes Wilson, then whoever Houston doesn't pick leaves Young or Stroud. If Stroud is there I'd grab him. If Young is there trade down and get a haul because someone will massively overpay for that tradeup (like the Panthers or Raiders).

If the Bears trade Fields to any team not drafting in the top 5, then both QBs are gone. Indy may take Levis which means Carter or Anderson is at 5 and you definitely snag whichever is there.

It'll be interesting if Seattle does draft a QB.... because Pete is OLD and Schneider is getting up there too... to start all over with a new QB when you've got YES MAN Geno.... I'd love Stroud if he's there, but even if he is and Schneider likes the guy, I dunno if they'd pull the trigger. Most of the holes are all on the front 7 of the D (excluding RG and C which you wouldn't draft top 5) so trading out of #5 is certainly a possibility given this draft has a LOT of talent at EDGE/LB/DT. I see Carter/Anderson and MAYBE Wilson as a cut above everyone else, so if they're gone or we just don't like Wilson and don't want a QB, there's zero reason to stay at #5.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson, Carter, or Anderson should be there at #5. And if for some reason they're not (let's say Bears take Anderson, Cards take Carter, and Indy takes Wilson, then whoever Houston doesn't pick leaves Young or Stroud. If Stroud is there I'd grab him. If Young is there trade down and get a haul because someone will massively overpay for that tradeup (like the Panthers or Raiders).

If the Bears trade Fields to any team not drafting in the top 5, then both QBs are gone. Indy may take Levis which means Carter or Anderson is at 5 and you definitely snag whichever is there.

It'll be interesting if Seattle does draft a QB.... because Pete is OLD and Schneider is getting up there too... to start all over with a new QB when you've got YES MAN Geno.... I'd love Stroud if he's there, but even if he is and Schneider likes the guy, I dunno if they'd pull the trigger. Most of the holes are all on the front 7 of the D (excluding RG and C which you wouldn't draft top 5) so trading out of #5 is certainly a possibility given this draft has a LOT of talent at EDGE/LB/DT. I see Carter/Anderson and MAYBE Wilson as a cut above everyone else, so if they're gone or we just don't like Wilson and don't want a QB, there's zero reason to stay at #5.
When Pete traded RW he must of figured on drafting his next franchise QB, because it is safe to say he didn't see Geno as that guy otherwise he would of been signed to a multiple year contract.

The question is does he now see Geno as the QB he is staking his career on or will he draft a QB as he originally intended? Ideally they could sign Geno to contract that reflects their intent to draft a starting QB, but Geno can sign elsewhere for more.....I think. Not a slam dunk though as bad teams that have cap space are not looking for a 33 year old QB to be their QB going forward and teams like the Saints and Bucs need to find a cheap QB due to being in cap hell, so despite 2022 Geno's market is limited to a good team with cap space that feels they can be SB team now with Geno. Very few of teams in that sitution.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Pete traded RW he must of figured on drafting his next franchise QB, because it is safe to say he didn't see Geno as that guy otherwise he would of been signed to a multiple year contract.
Too be honest, I don't believe that is "safe to say"... Sounds to me, listening to Pete/John since the season started, that they had confidence in Geno being the starting QB... Why would you have signed him to a multi-year deal when he was already under a contract w/ 1 year remaining?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too be honest, I don't believe that is "safe to say"... Sounds to me, listening to Pete/John since the season started, that they had confidence in Geno being the starting QB... Why would you have signed him to a multi-year deal when he was already under a contract w/ 1 year remaining?

I think the bigger reason why I don't buy the whole "they were planning to draft a QB" theory is that there is no way they thought that the Seahawks or the Broncos were going to be really bad teams that put them in line to potentially draft a top QB.

I think they saw Geno as a QB that could do the job now and Drew Lock could be the future QB. They might still think that.

Of course they may be rethinking everything given that they got lucky with the Broncos pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno was a UFA in 2022 until the Seahawks resigned him to a one year deal.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1676925918066.png

Over 16 million needed for the draft. Looking at the depth chart:

1676926502522.png

So Blythe, P. Ford, Barton and Goodwin, Geno, Lock are FA and RFA only R. Neal, exclusive FA Mike Jackson. So 6 starters have to be replaced or resigned. It's been suggested that S. Harris and G. Jackson get released but that leaves 8 starters to be replaced in a draft with 9 picks and J. Brooks being injured likely means they need someone available if he isn't ready at the start of the season, so 9 starting spots to fix with 9 picks and cap space. Important depth players will also need to be resigned or replaced.

At this point I feel it is going to take another draft after the 2023 to get the roster ready for a push to the SB and build a foundation will give the Seahawks a window of 3-5 years to be a SB contender/winner. A rookie QB would greatly enhance the ability to sign quality players to start and /or resign Seahawks own FAs during that window. Course a rookie QB can't just be any old rookie QB, gotta be one with the tools to develop into a franchise QB, those are usually found at the top of the draft.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 321736

View attachment 321738

So Blythe, P. Ford, Barton and Goodwin, Geno, Lock are FA and RFA only R. Neal, exclusive FA Mike Jackson. So 6 starters have to be replaced or resigned. It's been suggested that S. Harris and G. Jackson get released but that leaves 8 starters to be replaced in a draft with 9 picks and J. Brooks being injured likely means they need someone available if he isn't ready at the start of the season, so 9 starting spots to fix with 9 picks and cap space. Important depth players will also need to be resigned or replaced.

At this point I feel it is going to take another draft after the 2023 to get the roster ready for a push to the SB and build a foundation will give the Seahawks a window of 3-5 years to be a SB contender/winner. A rookie QB would greatly enhance the ability to sign quality players to start and /or resign Seahawks own FAs during that window. Course a rookie QB can't just be any old rookie QB, gotta be one with the tools to develop into a franchise QB, those are usually found at the top of the draft.

I always felt it was going to also take the 2024 draft to get us back into position and is one of the main reasons I would let Geno walk.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 321736

View attachment 321738

Blythe and Ford are likely to move on. Barton is unlikely to cost a ton to resign, if we choose to resign him. Goodwin and Neal are quasi starters. Jackson probably won't be a starter next year no matter what. Jackson and Harris will either redo their contracts or let go. I would imagine we could find super value for both of them based on the 14 million in savings if we do cut them. Quinton Jefferson is also a high target cap casualty that could save us 4 million.

Great. So which one is going to be the one that develops into a franchise QB?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great. So which one is going to be the one that develops into a franchise QB?
How many times are you going ask me that question? I've already answered it. They didn't trade RW just so they could turn around and spend on Geno. Don't let Geno brief success fool you into thinking he's the future at QB, he's a bridge or insurance for which ever rookie the Seahawks decide to go with and be foolish waste future cap space you been touting to sign him because he's not part of the future and it's debatable how Geno will play in 2023 even , much less after 2023.

As much as we all want the Seahawks back in the SB, it's going to take another draft after the 2023 draft at best. This desire for instant gratification needs to held in check.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times are you going ask me that question? I've already answered it. They didn't trade RW just so they could turn around and spend on Geno. Don't let Geno brief success fool you into thinking he's the future at QB, he's a bridge or insurance for which ever rookie the Seahawks decide to go with and be foolish waste future cap space you been touting to sign him because he's not part of the future and it's debatable how Geno will play in 2023 even , much less after 2023.

I don't think he's the future at QB. He's the QB for 2023. And everytime you pretend that simply drafting whatever QB is available at 5 is the answer, I'll keep asking you that question.

It's entirely possible that Will Levis is the best QB of the bunch. If he is, it would be almost criminal to have be the starter on Day 1.

You tend to portray drafting a QB at #5 as a low risk move when, in fact, it is a high risk move. Because you HAVE to start him either year 1 or year 2 and if he flames out you are in the Jets situation.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Greg Olson hired as QB coach, interesting. Obviously you need a QB coach but I wonder if this early signing means Seattle is targeting a QB at #5. Carroll has always seemed to prefer promoting within, so the fact they went outside on this one is interesting. That also said, Waldron very much ran the offense last year, and given Olson and him have worked together, makes sense.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's the future at QB. He's the QB for 2023.
Not at the cost you want to pay.

1676931725597.png

You propose 45 MILLION SIGNING BONUS plus salary and likely incentives for a player that at best is on the Seahawks for 2 seasons ( even pro signing Geno posters want an out after 2 years) that amount of money for someone who is no sure bet for 2023 is not sound planning for a SB run, which is what I want.

At some point in the next couple of years a rookie QB will need to be drafted rather than try to get by with a expensive retread. Makes more sense to take a shot this year than having to trade away a bunch of draft capitol next year or the year after. Yes it's too bad the answer at QB isn't obvious to the average joe Seahawk fan like myself or you or others here, but we don't make the big bucks to make that decision, Pete and John will have to make that call, and this year the Seahawks are in the best position to take a shot that has reasonable odds of hitting.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Greg Olson hired as QB coach, interesting. Obviously you need a QB coach but I wonder if this early signing means Seattle is targeting a QB at #5. Carroll has always seemed to prefer promoting within, so the fact they went outside on this one is interesting. That also said, Waldron very much ran the offense last year, and given Olson and him have worked together, makes sense.
Seems like a strange hire to me, but I've always though Olsen had some viewpoints that far off base IMO.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 321745

You propose 45 MILLION SIGNING BONUS plus salary and likely incentives for a player that at best is on the Seahawks for 2 seasons ( even pro signing Geno posters want an out after 2 years) that amount of money for someone who is no sure bet for 2023 is not sound planning for a SB run, which is what I want.

At some point in the next couple of years a rookie QB will need to be drafted rather than try to get by with a expensive retread. Makes more sense to take a shot this year than having to trade away a bunch of draft capitol next year or the year after. Yes it's too bad the answer at QB isn't obvious to the average joe Seahawk fan like myself or you or others here, but we don't make the big bucks to make that decision, Pete and John will have to make that call, and this year the Seahawks are in the best position to take a shot that has reasonable odds of hitting.

$45M signing bonus...

austin-powers-good-god.gif

I'm hoping with our signing of Olson that Waldron is sticking around.... he's 43 so would be around 45-46 by the time Pete retires. And Schneider is a great judge of QBs... IF Waldron stays and Schneider, him, and Olson like a QB at 5... you pull that trigger asap and march them out there, and can Geno.

I don't mind what Geno did for us, he was fantastic... but so would most QBs be with Lockett, Metcalf, the TE roster we have, Walker doing his thing, and two rookie tackles that to everyone's surprise were slightly above to normally above average across all OTs in the league. And then we get 5 years of el cheapo QB.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno was a UFA in 2022 until the Seahawks resigned him to a one year deal.
Ok... You're right... But why would they give him a multi year contract when he was good with having 1 year? I just don't think it was, "safe to say" as you suggested...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly he's okay in some situational plays... where I really started losing it throughout the season was when we had him on the field for 50+ snaps. I get when Brooks was out it's all ya got (and Brooks can't pass rush or cover for shit so that in and of itself is a problem). Keep Barton to about 25 snaps a game, and it's fine...

And Barton was a piece of the problem.. the other was that ridiculous 2-4-5 bullshit and 3-4 switch. Maybe Seattle thought Mone could step up as a NT or something.

Either way, if Barton resigns for close to the league minimum and his contract states "can only play 25 snaps a game or Seattle will be fined $50K for each instance, owed to Sharkonabicycle at Sportshoopla within 30 days." then I'm 100% fine with that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No one is a sure bet. But Geno is unlikely to fall off a cliff in 2023. We all agree that he isn't an elite QB but I also think he could perform on par with 2022. His two 2 tackles will have a year of experience now. His RB will as well. Presumably we can improve the interior of the line some.

I'm fine with drafting a rookie. I don't thin we need to draft a QB high just because we have a high draft pick. That is a really bad strategy.

As I've said from the outset I'm ok wth them drafting a QB at 5 if they think that is the right move. However, I would be VERY surprised if they don't resign Geno even if they draft a rookie QB at 5.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The QB market is absolutely broken if jones gets 45m