• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went back and watched more games he played and decided I got carried away with AR , he looks rough in many of games I watched. Guess I so want to find the QB of the future this year that I got carried away with him.
I know I don't want the Seahawks QB position dependent on Geno Smith for further success and that finding the future QB should be the #1 priority this draft. Yes they have other needs and some like stud DL are also hard to fill, but not as hard as finding a QB and no where near as important and you get lemons drafting DL as often as drafting a QB. You only have to look at the young DL the Seahawks have to realize that.
Someone posted the top 10 over the last 7 or 8 years a few days back, far more DL were successful than QBs, so I disagree with you on that one.
If the Seahawks don't find a QB this draft it will be like deja vu when the Seahawks had Travis Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst at QB but draft position meant they had no chance at the top rated QBs in the draft. Yes they found the answer to their prayers in RW, but that was SO lucky and such LONG ODDS that having to do that AGAIN seems near impossible, yet some here seem to think it won't be a problem. What a stroke of fortune that the Broncos crashed and burned and now the Seahawks have a top 3 pick. Seahawks will never have better odds to find a franchise QB then this draft. Ever other position can be addressed AFTER they take care of finding their QB of the future.
so who then? stroud or levis?

its a HUGE risk and would put the franchise back several years if they swing and miss, which honestly with both those guys seems greater than 50%.

stroud comes from a long line of OSU QBs that have looked great in college but crashed and burned in the pros, I dont see anything about him that makes me think he can step in, start day 1 and lead the team to the playoffs. he has huge advantages playing on a completely stacked team with literally days and days of time to throw. he will not have those advantages and I think he will bust hard

levis is talented but raw and had a pretty average college career.

Like many here I've always believed that winning in the trench's is where games are won or loss often, but even that is less important than having a QB that can win games for the team. The trenches are made up of a unit, no one player will make it top notch by himself. QB on the other hand is one player and that one player means much more than any one player in the trenches and it's not even close. I do not want to go forward with Travis Jackson/Geno Smith when there is this golden opportunity to find that QB of the future. It's true this draft doesn't have any slam dunk elite QB but this draft class is miles better than last year draft at QB and has several QBs that could/should be starters for teams. Brady, Rodgers, RW, Matt Ryan are old war horse that will need to be replaced soon and there is a slew of failed QBs who were given their chance and showed they are not the answer and teams will be looking to replace them also in a draft also, so now is the time to find a QB while the opportunity exists. If the Seahawks punt the QB position this draft, it will be the single most egregious draft mistake in Seahawks draft history IMO, it will be like expecting to hit on the mega million a second time.
so lets say young goes 1 and the bears trade down and stroud goes 2, then what do they do? take a huge risk and reach badly on the next QB?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone posted the top 10 over the last 7 or 8 years a few days back, far more DL were successful than QBs, so I disagree with you on that one.

its a HUGE risk and would put the franchise back several years if they swing and miss, which honestly with both those guys seems greater than 50%.

stroud comes from a long line of OSU QBs that have looked great in college but crashed and burned in the pros, I dont see anything about him that makes me think he can step in, start day 1 and lead the team to the playoffs. he has huge advantages playing on a completely stacked team with literally days and days of time to throw. he will not have those advantages and I think he will bust hard

levis is talented but raw and had a pretty average college career.

so lets say young goes 1 and the bears trade down and stroud goes 2, then what do they do? take a huge risk and reach badly on the next QB?

That’s why I’m down to nab a guy at QB but later in the draft, our first couple picks need to bolster up our defense… We’ve been SO bad vs the run and that’s a lack of toughness upfront …

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it showed few DL were a difference maker, his point was to show the QBs who were duds while over looking the fact that at least one QB drafted in the first was an success.

Maybe

its a HUGE risk and would put the franchise back several years if they swing and miss,
See this is where you have it backwards. Not taking a swing is what would set the franchise back. That that's like a batter that won't swing the bat ( because he might miss) and ends up striking out without even taking a swing.
There are more than two QBs worth taking in this draft. The real risk is not trying to hit on a QB. QBs taken late in the draft 90% of the time are practice squad QBs.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it showed few DL were a difference maker, his point was to show the QBs who were duds while over looking the fact that at least one QB drafted in the first was an success.
I still think you're wrong but im not going to dig into it
You're not convincing me
See this is where you have it backwards. Not taking a swing is what would set the franchise back. That that's like a batter that won't swing the bat ( because he might miss) and ends up striking out without even taking a swing.
We could keep geno and stack the DL and have have a shot at going deep.

If we bust on a rookie QB have no shot of going anywhere.
There are more than two QBs worth taking in this draft. The real risk is not trying to hit on a QB. QBs taken late in the draft 90% of the time are practice squad QBs.
Not in the top three there aren't.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could keep geno and stack the DL and have have a shot at going deep.

If we bust on a rookie QB have no shot of going anywhere.

What happens if the DL drafted is a bust and Geno doesn't ever have a season close to this one ever again ? Because that's just as likely as a rookie QB busting. Geno is just a version of Travis Jackson who had a fluke seaon except Geno is 32 already and I'd bet a large sum of money we never see this version of Geno again.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if the DL drafted is a bust and Geno doesn't ever have a season close to this one ever again ? Because that's just as likely as a rookie QB busting. Geno is just a version of Travis Jackson who had a fluke seaon except Geno is 32 already and I'd bet a large sum of money we never see this version of Geno again.
you could be right, but I think right now the best move is to stick with whats working and fix what isnt. the quickest way to do that is draft DL early and often. thats my opinion.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,740.48
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn't my point at all... Showed that other players success rate in the top 10 were higher than that of QB's... Basically showed that the odds of getting a difference maker at a position other than QB in the top 10 were higher than that of drafting a QB in the top 10 - especially at the DL position...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn't my point at all... Showed that other players success rate in the top 10 were higher than that of QB's... Basically showed that the odds of getting a difference maker at a position other than QB in the top 10 were higher than that of drafting a QB in the top 10 - especially at the DL position...
We are going to have to agree to disagree on what your chart showed. For me the chart showed that more elite QBs been drafted in the top ten than any other position, go ahead and pick any position you want and name the ones drafted top ten that are elite and I'll name the QBs, lets see how the numbers stack up. QBs get picked top ten because they are THAT IMPORTANT and some get picked top ten when maybe they shouldn't because teams need a QB. QBs are like gasoline for your car, no matter how perfect the car is with out gas it's going nowhere ( do not mention electric cars LOL).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are going to have to agree to disagree on what your chart showed. For me the chart showed that more elite QBs been drafted in the top ten than any other position, go ahead and pick any position you want and name the ones drafted top ten that are elite and I'll name the QBs, lets see how the numbers stack up. QBs get picked top ten because they are THAT IMPORTANT and some get picked top ten when maybe they shouldn't because teams need a QB. QBs are like gasoline for your car, no matter how perfect the car is with out gas it's going nowhere ( do not mention electric cars LOL).

DBs drafted in the top 10..

Patrick Surtain
Jaycee Horn
Jeff Okudak
CJ Henderson
Denzel Ward
Jamal Adams
Jalen Ramey
Eli Apple
Justing Filbert
Dee Milliner
Morris Claiborne
Mark Barron
Stephon Gilmore

QBs drafted in the top 10.

Blake Bortles
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Mitch Trubisky
Pat Mahomes
Mayfield
SamDarnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Kyler Murray
Daniel Jones
Joe Burrow
Tua
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance

17 QBs. 4 top flight QBs(Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert) with Lawrence maybe sneaking in there. 6 QBs that are barely in the NFL still(Wentz, Trubisky, Rosen, Wilson, Darnold, Mayfield, Bortles)

I'm fine with the Seahawks drafting a QB. If they feel one of them is truly elite. However, if they are just throwing a dart at the board, then I would much rather they rebuilt the defense. And unless they see one of these guys as a Mahomes level talent, I would be shocked if they don't rebuild the defense.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DBs drafted in the top 10..

Patrick Surtain
Jaycee Horn
Jeff Okudak
CJ Henderson
Denzel Ward
Jamal Adams
Jalen Ramey
Eli Apple
Justing Filbert
Dee Milliner
Morris Claiborne
Mark Barron
Stephon Gilmore

QBs drafted in the top 10.

Blake Bortles
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Mitch Trubisky
Pat Mahomes
Mayfield
SamDarnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Kyler Murray
Daniel Jones
Joe Burrow
Tua
Justin Herbert
Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance

17 QBs. 4 top flight QBs(Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert) with Lawrence maybe sneaking in there. 6 QBs that are barely in the NFL still(Wentz, Trubisky, Rosen, Wilson, Darnold, Mayfield, Bortles)

I'm fine with the Seahawks drafting a QB. If they feel one of them is truly elite. However, if they are just throwing a dart at the board, then I would much rather they rebuilt the defense. And unless they see one of these guys as a Mahomes level talent, I would be shocked if they don't rebuild the defense.
And you play 4 DBs and 4 DLs at one time (give or take, of course). If you draft a CB thinking they'll be a shut down LCB but they don't quite fit that bill, you can do other stuff with them and retain value from the pick. You play 1 QB and cannot do anything else with them in the event they don't turn out to be a capable starter. They just sit the bench and you get nothing. To me that is one of the things that sets a risk at that position apart from all others. Every pick is "risky" but QB is boom or bust. You have a really good player or someone who ends up doing absolutely nothing for your team.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you play 4 DBs and 4 DLs at one time (give or take, of course). If you draft a CB thinking they'll be a shut down LCB but they don't quite fit that bill, you can do other stuff with them and retain value from the pick. You play 1 QB and cannot do anything else with them in the event they don't turn out to be a capable starter. They just sit the bench and you get nothing. To me that is one of the things that sets a risk at that position apart from all others. Every pick is "risky" but QB is boom or bust. You have a really good player or someone who ends up doing absolutely nothing for your team.

Yup. Sometimes it's worth taking the risk. But the one thing that has been abundantly clear for several years is our defense has been not good. QB is the most important position of course, but a great defense can really help elevate a QB.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,740.48
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Sometimes it's worth taking the risk. But the one thing that has been abundantly clear for several years is our defense has been not good. QB is the most important position of course, but a great defense can really help elevate a QB.

Great defense AND run game can help elevate a QB to the point of being SB contenders...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great defense AND run game can help elevate a QB to the point of being SB contenders...
It can, but it's difficult also, for one thing hard to keep a great defense together, players who perform want to be shown the money. 49ers are a example of what your talking about, but they have fell just short a couple of time and the QB was the prime reason they fell short, thus spending a lot of draft capitol to move UP in the draft to pick a QB. Hard to find a quality QB when your team has a strong roster, goes to the playoffs and your drafting like pick 28-31. That's the trap I want the Seahawks to avoid. Now I don't think Lance is good QB, but drafting him didn't hamstring the 49ers per say, but without a better QB they may miss their window to win it all.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can, but it's difficult also, for one thing hard to keep a great defense together, players who perform want to be shown the money. 49ers are a example of what your talking about, but they have fell just short a couple of time and the QB was the prime reason they fell short, thus spending a lot of draft capitol to move UP in the draft to pick a QB. Hard to find a quality QB when your team has a strong roster, goes to the playoffs and your drafting like pick 28-31. That's the trap I want the Seahawks to avoid. Now I don't think Lance is good QB, but drafting him didn't hamstring the 49ers per say, but without a better QB they may miss there window to win it all.

They wanted to move on from Jimmy G in large part because he can't stay healthy. He's only had 2 healthy seasons in his career.

You build your team based on what you have. We have a top 5 offense in the league this year. We need a defense. We will never win without one.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current landscape of the NFC is a pretty good example of how teams can contend without using a top pick on a QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current landscape of the NFC is a pretty good example of how teams can contend without using a top pick on a QB.

Certainly having a top flight QB is far more preferable. But you work with what ya got.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly having a top flight QB is far more preferable. But you work with what ya got.
It's tough to have it all. Most of the time, the resources you must spend to find a franchise QB in the draft prevent you from also being able to build the rest of the team like you want. You essentially have to get lucky with multiple late round picks, which isn't really a strategy you can count on to work.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to have it all. Most of the time, the resources you must spend to find a franchise QB in the draft prevent you from also being able to build the rest of the team like you want. You essentially have to get lucky with multiple late round picks, which isn't really a strategy you can count on to work.

Yeah. It's great to hit on a QB that turns into a stud for you immediately so you can reap the benefit of their rookie contract.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,740.48
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN 710 Sports - Geno Smith currently has 4,069 passing yards. He needs 151 passing yards to pass Russell Wilson who has the franchise record of 4,219 passing yards set in 2016...

Wow... That's crazy