• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Western Movies Thread

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My faves are probably Good/Bad/Ugly and Unforgiven. Two AMAZING movies that can be watched and re-watched at will.

While I love QT, Django Unchained just didn't do a whole hell of a lot for me.

Young Guns was good, but too "young" for classic status, IMHO.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked The Searchers but there are other Duke movies I like way more. I did list Tombstone and I forgot about Butch and Sundance, there are many others I could have listed but my point was to maybe find some I haven't seen.

Sorry. Missed that in the first paragraph.

Have you seen Once Upon a Time in the West? Henry Fonda as a bad guy was certainly interesting.

When you refer to western I assume you mean 19th century horseback type stuff?

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a huge fan of westerns and just wanted to find out if there are some out there that are real good that I haven't seen. So, what are your favorite westerns?

I personally really like John Wayne, Clint Eastwood & Jimmy Stewart westerns, I also like westerns that include Lee Van Cleef, Kirk Douglas, Walter Brennan, Henry Fonda, William Holden, Robert Duvall & Lee Marvin. I am also a big fan of Tombstone and Jeremiah Johnson and enjoyed Young Guns.

If I had to pick just one western, I would probably have to go with Outlaw Josey Wales but that could change on any given day. Others include not in any particular order, War Wagon, Unforgiven, Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter, Rio Bravo, The Far Country, The Naked Spur, Good, Bad & Ugly, The Comancheros. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, North to Alaska, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, My Darling Clementine & Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

What are some of your favorites?

A lot of good one's there.

I'd go with The Good, the Bad and the Ugly as a favorite..

The Searchers with John Wayne in maybe his best acting role is a really good western.

One of my personal favorites is a movie called the Long Riders. A movie of the James-Younger gang. David Carradine is superb as Cole Younger and many of the action scenes are outstanding. Some of the best I've ever seen. The music by Ry Cooder is nice too. Lot of authentic Western music.

The Wild Bunch is good.

As a kid I saw "How the West was Won" and while it may be kind of sappy I still like it. A nice 3 hr summary of the opening of the West.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry. Missed that in the first paragraph.

Have you seen Once Upon a Time in the West? Henry Fonda as a bad guy was certainly interesting.

When you refer to western I assume you mean 19th century horseback type stuff?

Yeah, liked it a great deal.

Yes...

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of good one's there.

I'd go with The Good, the Bad and the Ugly as a favorite..

The Searchers with John Wayne in maybe his best acting role is a really good western.

One of my personal favorites is a movie called the Long Riders. A movie of the James-Younger gang. David Carradine is superb as Cole Younger and many of the action scenes are outstanding. Some of the best I've ever seen. The music by Ry Cooder is nice too. Lot of authentic Western music.

The Wild Bunch is good.

As a kid I saw "How the West was Won" and while it may be kind of sappy I still like it. A nice 3 hr summary of the opening of the West.

Agreed.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just stopped by Redbox and picked up one called Brokeback Mountain. Definitely looks like a real man's movie. I'll post the review in a few hours.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3:10 to Yuma/Russell crowe,......searchers,........unforgiven,.....dances with wolves,........kevin Costner made three other westerns [one in the 80's,two in the 2000's/with r. duvall].,.....red river,......and don't forget the all time ~classic~ = ~Blazing-Saddles~...!!!

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen The Wild Bunch?
great flick...!,....that western changed the way westerns were usually [pg/sugar-coated] filmed,...I read john wayne was offered a [lead?/] role in it and said it was too = ~bloody-n-gory~....*turned it down*.

LvilleSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big Kevin Costner fan, but Open Range is a must see for cowboy movie fans - and probably Costner's best work. Didn't hurt to have Rober Duvall in as well & you'll love Annett Benning.

Last edited by a moderator:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Top 3 Western Comedies:
1) Support your local Sheriff
2) Support your local Gunfighter
3) Shakiest Gun in the West

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen open range, good movie. I'm not really a Costner fan but he does have some movies I have really liked, Field of Dreams, Dances with Wolves, Bull Durham, Tin Cup, JFK & A Perfect World.

On second thought maybe I am a Costner fan... :noidea:

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how can this thread go this long without mentioning the Long Riders

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the movies in your first post were excellent choices...though I'm not sure that "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" is a true western...great film, though. :thumb:

I'll have to think about my favorites over lunch, and post afterwards.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen open range, good movie. I'm not really a Costner fan but he does have some movies I have really liked, Field of Dreams, Dances with Wolves, Bull Durham, Tin Cup, JFK & A Perfect World.

On second thought maybe I am a Costner fan... :noidea:

Off topic, but Mr Brooks was a very good, under-rated flick. Although it was basically just a Dexter clone...

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the movies in your first post were excellent choices...though I'm not sure that "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" is a true western...great film, though. :thumb:

I'll have to think about my favorites over lunch, and post afterwards.

Agreed but I am a huge Bogart fan and didn't want anyone saying hey you forgot treasure of the sierra madre.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, here are some of my favorites.....

Modern:
Unforgiven
Silverado
Open Range
Broken Trail

Classic:
The Cowboys
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Spaghetti:
Once Upon a Time in the West
For a Few Dollars More

Weird:
WestWorld (OK, maybe not really a western, but I liked it)
Purgatory (Great ending...if it doesn't bring a tear to your eye, you ain't human).

And I gotta give an Honorable Mention to Blazing Saddles. :yo: