• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial top 100 country acts of all time

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Garth's pre-Chris Gaines music is just "country music". It's twangy, and country, but without the edge. I think in the late 90's is when the pop country really began. The Neo Traditional country music (The "Hat Acts" was probably the bridge from the 80's to the 2000's Rascal Flatts crap and Kenny/Tim's "bro country" from the early/mid 2000's.

It was pop country. There were some great acts during the same time period that made my list. Keith Whitley, Dwight Yoakam, Alan Jackson, Mark Chesnutt, Tracy Lawrence, Joe Diffie, Pam Tillis, Lorrie Morgan, Patty Loveless, etc. I just don't like Garth, I don't like his music, I don't like the singers he influenced. He'll never be redeemed in my eyes.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Chet Atkins?

He gets a lot of credit for Merle Travis's work, and Waylon and Willie kinda told him where to shove it when he was a record head. They did to Roy Acuff too, but Roy Acuff was a major influence on Hank Williams Sr, who is by far the most influential artist in the genre, and arguably any genre.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also notice you didn't include the Canadian crooner, Hank Snow...or the yodeling Slim Whitman on your list.

Both of them, along with the 3 or 4 others I listed prior could easily replace some of yours...and it would be totally justified....imho.

But hey...this genre is allegedly your forté....so whatever...it's all good.

Ain't no thang.

:thumb:

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also notice you didn't include the Canadian crooner, Hank Snow...or the yodeling Slim Whitman on your list.

Both of them, along with the 3 or 4 others I listed could easily replace some of yours...and it would be totally justified.

But hey...this genre is allegedly your forté....so whatever...it's all good.

I never have been a big Hank Snow fan. He's not bad, I just never really go out of my way to listen to him, but his version of "I've Been Everywhere" is the only version IMO.

I mostly ranked my personal 100 favorites. When you rank 100 off the top of your head, you're gonna forget a couple. But Vern Gosdin and Ray Price are the only two suggestions I've seen that I'd add.

I've thought of a few that I should have included that slipped my mind.

Jim Ed Brown
Cowboy Jack Clement
Jimmy Martin
Doc Watson