• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

t'Official offseason thread

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an odd decision to me.

Jumping straight into a contender like Chicago would make sense. He also had a chance to sign with a team on the verge of contention in Nashville. Or several rebuilding teams.

So I don't understand going for the one that seems to be on the downswing.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, at least we know Benning didn't tamper with this one.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jumping straight into a contender like Chicago would make sense. He also had a chance to sign with a team on the verge of contention in Nashville. Or several rebuilding teams.

It's a really big (read:rich) market close to home where guys who are in the spots he wants right now will be gone in 1-2 years.

He could be looking at his role when that happens. And how he'll cash in. Not a lot of pressure to carry them now, he could be the savio(u)r then.

Sure, he'd win now in Chicago, until he gets traded for spare parts because they will never, ever, trade Keith, Kane or Toews and they make a big chunk of the team's money. Like Brandon Saad. Byfuglien a few years ago. Sharp. Not a stable place for a kid to play.

I think it's a good choice. And I hope he displaces Nash so he can hurry home.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

Rags haven't had a first round pick since christ was a cowboy.
Leaves little competition in the talent pool in his age group, so he's presumably more likely to get that top 6 spot instead of having to battle for it with 8 other 20-22 year olds.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was inclined to agree with this, although puck and 43 made some solid counter points. That said, it's funny that he said the biggest reason he chose them was because they "really wanted" him. Buffalo, a young team on the upswing, is looking at him with a WTF face right now. Yeah, just traded that 3rd rounder for shits an gigs.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rags haven't had a first round pick since christ was a cowboy.
Leaves little competition in the talent pool in his age group, so he's presumably more likely to get that top 6 spot instead of having to battle for it with 8 other 20-22 year olds.

If that was his thought process, he is a loser.

As the wisest man of the 20th century often said

To be the best, ya gotta beat the best !

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was his thought process, he is a loser.

As the wisest man of the 20th century often said

To be the best, ya gotta beat the best !
200.gif

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call. Sorry about the horrible feeling.

I understand the appeal in playing for the Ranger$...I do. But isn't the consensus that they are a team that's trending in the opposite direction?

Looking at the Isles roster, I don't know where he would have fit. Maybe they didn't have a good answer for him because in order for him to fit in the line up, they would have had to make a trade. Isles have so many friggen fringe top6/bottom 6 guys it's ridiculous.

BTW BBB, if Strome doesn't makes strides this year, the Isles missed their trading opportunity with him. He'll be about as valuable as Josh Bare-ly.

Did you think TO had a shot at Vesey? Where would he have fit? I honestly didn't think the Isles did, more wishful thinking....

Lastly, fuck this Vesey guy, I hope he sucks. Eat shit.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the appeal in playing for the Ranger$...I do. But isn't the consensus that they are a team that's trending in the opposite direction?

Looking at the Isles roster, I don't know where he would have fit. Maybe they didn't have a good answer for him because in order for him to fit in the line up, they would have had to make a trade. Isles have so many friggen fringe top6/bottom 6 guys it's ridiculous.

BTW BBB, if Strome doesn't makes strides this year, the Isles missed their trading opportunity with him. He'll be about as valuable as Josh Bare-ly.

Did you think TO had a shot at Vesey? Where would he have fit? I honestly didn't think the Isles did, more wishful thinking....

Lastly, fuck this Vesey guy, I hope he sucks. Eat shit.
The fringe thing is why I'm always in favour of moving prospects, especially when you've been drafting high forever like the Isles were. Gotta pounce when teams are being stupid and moving quality talent - in situations like that, you're almost always guaranteed to win the deal no matter what you're giving up. If they don't

I think Toronto likely gave him a tough choice - he could've fit behind JVR as a 2nd line LW with the potential of moving to the top line if JVR leaves either via trade or UFA in 2 years. We're not insiders and the people who call themselves insiders usually don't know shit either so we'll never know what went into his thinking here but here's hoping he never smells the playoffs (of course, if that was what he was after he coulda just signed here).

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, him going to the Rangers seems a bit off. Team on the downward swing is not where I'd go.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that makes me scratch my head is essentially that the Rags hardly seem like the leader in any possible category.

If he wants to be able to jump straight into a top 6 role, I would think Toronto or Buffalo. Close to home obviously Boston. Win now would be Chicago. Play in a huge market that has a ton of money would be Toronto.

He could have signed a two year ELC with Chicago, hope to pad his stats by playing alongside some immensely talented players and sign a huge RFA deal after being traded (as @forty_three mentioned above).

I've got no ill-will to the guy. I hope he does well. I still just don't get it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Rangers try
The thing that makes me scratch my head is essentially that the Rags hardly seem like the leader in any possible category.

If he wants to be able to jump straight into a top 6 role, I would think Toronto or Buffalo. Close to home obviously Boston. Win now would be Chicago. Play in a huge market that has a ton of money would be Toronto.

He could have signed a two year ELC with Chicago, hope to pad his stats by playing alongside some immensely talented players and sign a huge RFA deal after being traded (as @forty_three mentioned above).

I've got no ill-will to the guy. I hope he does well. I still just don't get it.
Living in Manhattan has its perks.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more of a West Coast guy, but I can definitely see the appeal that NYC would have for a young single guy with money in his pocket.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean like having to have a roommate to afford anything better than a studio apartment?

(And yes, I know how much he's getting on a rookie max contract. My remark stands.)
Meh. You live the life you want to live. If people want to be in NYC and that's what they have to do to do so, I won't hold it against them.