• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

t'Official offseason thread

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what just occurred to me? This Matt Martin deal is basically poor man's Clarkson. Lesser player, less money and a lesser mistake but the same kind of mistake, too much money and too many years for too little offense.

The role he fills can easily be filled by an ex-Marlie looking for a job at this stage. 4 fucking years man.

On the positive side, maybe this means they're out on Russell, which would be an awesome side effect. Id rather make a mistake signing Martin than make one signing Russell I think.
I don't get signing Martin for four years either, but it doesn't bother me as much as t seems to be bothering other Leaf fans. He's a fourth liner and nothing more. It's not like his money will prevent other deals.

Just keep praying they don't sign Kris Russell.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol - How did I miss BBB's post above? I'm going to blame it on my crappy work PC and IE 11.

Last edited:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get signing Martin for four years either, but it doesn't bother me as much as t seems to be bothering other Leaf fans. He's a fourth liner and nothing more. It's not like his money will prevent other deals.

Just keep praying they don't sign Kris Russell.

If they don't have a plan to move some of this salary currently taking up roster space they're not going to have to worry about signing Russell. Hell, depending on what the RFAs get they may have to dip into LTIR just to pay what they've got.

"It's not like his money will prevent other deals." You see now how this shit can add up though, right? Between Martin and the retained Kessel money that's almost $4 million (for each of the next 4 years) you're dismissing as completely insignificant.

This is pretty much a toy to appease Babcock. Big picture I'm fine with that, he's pretty much always had one on his rosters and it's not like Martin is a useless player. But ultimately I don't think that a rebuilding team should be paying a premium and giving term to a veteran guy who's going to play 10 minutes on the 4th line. That's a non-core piece. I suppose I'd prefer to make a mistake signing a 4th liner I shouldn't rather than signing a 1st or 2nd liner I shouldn't, but why accept mistakes at all?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't have a plan to move some of this salary currently taking up roster space they're not going to have to worry about signing Russell. Hell, depending on what the RFAs get they may have to dip into LTIR just to pay what they've got.

"It's not like his money will prevent other deals." You see now how this shit can add up though, right? Between Martin and the retained Kessel money that's almost $4 million (for each of the next 4 years) you're dismissing as completely insignificant.

This is pretty much a toy to appease Babcock. Big picture I'm fine with that, he's pretty much always had one on his rosters and it's not like Martin is a useless player. But ultimately I don't think that a rebuilding team should be paying a premium and giving term to a veteran guy who's going to play 10 minutes on the 4th line. That's a non-core piece. I suppose I'd prefer to make a mistake signing a 4th liner I shouldn't rather than signing a 1st or 2nd liner I shouldn't, but why accept mistakes at all?
That eaten Kessel money got them a #1 goalie (hopefully) and a pretty good prospect in Kapanen for a player almost nobody wanted at the time. I'm fine with it.

Like you said, it's definitely a Babcock appeaser but I'm not going to shit on them because they blew $2.something mil in cap space lol. Talk to me if they're dumb enough to get Russell.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That eaten Kessel money got them a #1 goalie (hopefully) and a pretty good prospect in Kapanen for a player almost nobody wanted at the time. I'm fine with it.

Like you said, it's definitely a Babcock appeaser but I'm not going to shit on them because they blew $2.something mil in cap space lol. Talk to me if they're dumb enough to get Russell.

I'm a little confused about something.

This was the Kessel deal

Kessel
2016 2nd (Kasper Bjorkqvist)
$1.2 million × 8 years

For

Spaling
Kapanen
Harrington
2016 3rd (JD Greenway)
2016 1st

This was the Andersen deal

Andersen

For
2016 1st
2017 2nd

In the Kessel deal the Leafs basically got only one of those Andersen picks and then traded down on top of that. If the difference between retaining the salary and not doing so actually had a value difference equal to Andersen (let alone Andersen+Kapanen) I shudder to think how stupid that hypothetical trade would have looked. I mean, it would then basically be Kessel and two 2nds for Kapanen et al plus a 3rd, no? Yeesh.

People seem to forget that 1st rounder wasn't just naked. If the deal had actually been Kapanen, Harrington and a 1st for Kessel with no salary retention like the media seems to want to pretend it was I'd have been much closer to OK with it.

Last edited:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was the Kessel deal

Kessel
$1.2 million × 8 years

For

Spaling
Kapanen
Harrington
2016 3rd (JD Greenway)
2016 1st

Andersen

For
2016 1st
2017 2nd

In the Kessel deal the Leafs basically got only one of those Andersen picks and then traded down on top of that. If the difference between retaining the salary and not doing so actually had a value difference equal to Andersen (let alone Andersen+Kapanen) I shudder to think how stupid that hypothetical trade would have looked. I mean, it would then basically be Kessel and two 2nds for Kapanen et al plus a 3rd, no? Yeesh.

People seem to forget that 1st rounder wasn't just naked. If the deal had actually been Kapanen, Harrington and a 1st for Kessel with no salary retention like the media seems to want to pretend it was I'd have been much closer to OK with it.

But the problem that I had with the way the Kessel deal went down is more or less the same problem I have with the Martin signing. Why? Why are we bending over on every little detail? Why are we locking in a guy who plays 10 minutes a game to longer term than almost everyone in the organization? Why are we paying $2.5 million per for something that's freely available for less? Hell, is there really that much difference between Matt Martin and Daniel Winnik? Or any one of the other 4th line guys that are freely available every year without having to commit to term? I'm not really as worried about the Martin deal itself as I am about what it tells us about the decision makers here.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good deal. Florida is one of few teams doing well at this whole offseason thing.

Reminds me a little of the Stralman signing a couple of years ago, which didn't knock anyone's socks off but has probably ended up being the best UFA signing of that offseason.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
The #leafs have signed Roman Polak.

TnQRX6vh.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was the Kessel deal

Kessel
$1.2 million × 8 years

For

Spaling
Kapanen
Harrington
2016 3rd (JD Greenway)
2016 1st

Andersen

For
2016 1st
2017 2nd

Like I said, these things bother some more than others. I'm fine with how everything went down.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what just occurred to me? This Matt Martin deal is basically poor man's Clarkson. Lesser player, less money and a lesser mistake but the same kind of mistake, too much money and too many years for too little offense.

The role he fills can easily be filled by an ex-Marlie looking for a job at this stage. 4 fucking years man.

On the positive side, maybe this means they're out on Russell, which would be an awesome side effect. Id rather make a mistake signing Martin than make one signing Russell I think.

Oh my god, it just occurred to me exactly who this signing reminds me of. Only it's even more money!

:dhd: