• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

t'Official offseason thread

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really can't, but it's obvious that Stamkos in Toronto garners a lot more in marketing money than likely other places, seeing as it's probably national stuff not just one city. That said, it absolutely can't be said in contract negotiation..
If the sponsorships Sundin got during his time here (national campaigns with McDonalds, Nike and Campbell Soup, a fuck ton more local ones) is any indication, Stamkos might be able to pull half his salary annually in endorsements playing in Toronto.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the Leafs trading for Rychel either unless they're planning on including him in a second trade or planning to trade JVR.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind JVR as a potential Okposo replacement.
I don't think the Leafs would trade JVR for anything other than a good-to-great d-man. Which means Hamonic. Which means these two probably don't line up trade-wise.

But I was advocating JVR for the Isles for years. Much like I was advocating Kessel. Really think NYI missed a great opportunity on that one.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
regarding Stamkos and the marketing money ... i think that tweet i posted said that the idea has been vetted with the league and ok'ed ... Im guessing if he signs with the Leafs (owned by Rogers) ... Rogers says good bye to Mark Messier (they used to call him on his Rogers cellphone) and its "coast to coast coverage" of Stamkos thanks to the rogers network

He's gonna be everywhere

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
regarding Stamkos and the marketing money ... i think that tweet i posted said that the idea has been vetted with the league and ok'ed ... Im guessing if he signs with the Leafs (owned by Rogers) ... Rogers says good bye to Mark Messier (they used to call him on his Rogers cellphone) and its "coast to coast coverage" of Stamkos thanks to the rogers network

He's gonna be everywhere
That or Bobcat has been instantly infected by Damien Cox.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if its about the money for Stamkos ... he would probably stay in TBay, no? ... Florida is a no income tax state, no?

highest fed/prov tax rate in Ontario is 53.53% :think:

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Leafs would trade JVR for anything other than a good-to-great d-man. Which means Hamonic. Which means these two probably don't line up trade-wise.

But I was advocating JVR for the Isles for years. Much like I was advocating Kessel. Really think NYI missed a great opportunity on that one.

I wanted Kessel. I was all for it. The contract was intimidating but he's the winger that maybe JT needs. Problem is they are SO tight with money. And for whatever reason, never want to make another player on the team earn more than JT. It's insane.

I'm going to be a basketcase this offseason. Sounds like Frans if headed to FA and we all know Okposo is as good as gone. I hope they do something.....

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Kessel. I was all for it. The contract was intimidating but he's the winger that maybe JT needs. Problem is they are SO tight with money. And for whatever reason, never want to make another player on the team earn more than JT. It's insane.

I'm going to be a basketcase this offseason. Sounds like Frans if headed to FA and we all know Okposo is as good as gone. I hope they do something.....
Something's gotta give.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question....where would Darren Helm fit on a team? Is he just a speedy third liner with stone hands?

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe there is something to the Kekeleinen/Puljujarvi thing. There was a behind the scenes video that was briefly up on the Oil's site that showed Jesse talking with his family and his agent after the photos and autographs and stuff.

At one point someone in his family says (in Finnish, but someone translated it) "The jersey looks better than Columbus". (Apparently Finnish people have bad eyes)

Then his agent says "What did I tell you about that Kekeleinen? Remember Croatia?"

And Jesse says something the effect of "yes, but God Damn, Hall, McDavid, good players there." To which the agent responds with something like "bigger tradition".

The video has been taken down and the conversation with the agent edited out.

Either there is some bad blood there or Jarmo was honest and said he's taking a center, and the agent is trying to reassure his client. "I told you he wasn't picking you".

Dunno

I don't understand the Leafs trading for Rychel either unless they're planning on including him in a second trade or planning to trade JVR.

When he comes to camp and your skating coaches get a look at him, you will trade him. All the heart in the world, but apparently feet of lead.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed this the other day:

If Rychel even scores, like, 10 goals this year for Toronto this is one of the worst trades made. They didn't just sell low, they sold rock-bottom.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if its about the money for Stamkos ... he would probably stay in TBay, no? ... Florida is a no income tax state, no?

highest fed/prov tax rate in Ontario is 53.53% :think:

That is a combined rate, no? Including Federal?

In FL, he would be looking at 39.6% Federal plus 0% State.

And without trying to overcomplicate it, if Stamkos still has significant ties to Canada, he might still be a Canadian tax resident, regardless of where he plays.