• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analyst Mike Blowers, the former Mariner third baseman, said during pre-game workouts he saw Domingo Santana taking grounds at third base though he didn’t make any throws he looked good at the position.
The talk around was to make him DH some as he is doing now because of his elbow. It does make me wonder whether Santana could play some third base well as well as first base when he is back to full strength. I believe it shows how much the Mariners should look at versatility amongst their players.

:L:L:L

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think juicing the ball is one of the dumbest mistakes made in sports history.

I said this in a previous post but I get more excited over an infield hit, bunt for a base hit, stolen base/hit and run than I do from a home run. The increase in home runs has put a serious limit on the balls put in play which sort of ruins the fun of the game and actually makes it slower.

I don’t mind juicing the balls because without Selig doing it and allowing steroids into the game I think baseball would be a shell of itself after the strike. But when Bud did it, baseball games were still being played. Now it’s a math equation and a huge portion of the games are just boring with teams trying to out analytics each other. At least when McGwire and Co were on the juice we still had steals, hit and runs and all those other things you said but now a hit and run is the worst thing you can do in this era of baseball.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t mind juicing the balls because without Selig doing it and allowing steroids into the game I think baseball would be a shell of itself after the strike. But when Bud did it, baseball games were still being played. Now it’s a math equation and a huge portion of the games are just boring with teams trying to out analytics each other. At least when McGwire and Co were on the juice we still had steals, hit and runs and all those other things you said but now a hit and run is the worst thing you can do in this era of baseball.

Not to mention now 2/3rds of the teams don't attempt to win when the season starts because it is cheaper and more profitable just to go cheap and lose than try and build a winner.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention now 2/3rds of the teams don't attempt to win when the season starts because it is cheaper and more profitable just to go cheap and lose than try and build a winner.

Well that too. I get the theory behind tanking but baseball prospects are so hit and miss. Outside of the few exceptions like say the Astros then more team would be successful at it. The Marlins of the 90’s and early 2000’s don’t count but how many other organizations have sucked donkey balls but have won a WS because of it?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that too. I get the theory behind tanking but baseball prospects are so hit and miss. Outside of the few exceptions like say the Astros then more team would be successful at it. The Marlins of the 90’s and early 2000’s don’t count but how many other organizations have sucked donkey balls but have won a WS because of it?

Kansas City 2015?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City 2015?

Eh, that is actually a good example but I don’t think their “tanking” really fits. But ok, ya. But for every one of those there are the A’s, Padres, Rays, Blue Jays, too early to tell on the Orioles etc. I’m just saying at best going full on rebuild is 50/50 at best IMO.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've mentioned this before but Sabermetrics values "outs" above all and for whatever reason the analytics people seem to believe that more "value" is lost by trying to steal bases, even if it's successful.

Obviously I'm probably more into the analytics stuff/support it more than most on here, but I disagree with devaluing steals/hit and runs/bunting. In addition to steals, speed is important if you want to see a guy go from first to third on a single/double. I do think there is a lot of value in having a guy who can turn a single into a double by stealing second.

Don't know why but I've always had an affinity for those speed guys, probably why I appreciate Mallex Smith and Dee Gordon more than most. If franchises had the same mentality they did 4-5 years ago, Dee Gordon wouldn't have been difficult to move IMO.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but he is a disaster defensively at SS and a disaster defensively in the OF so he really has no value over Moore, Nola, or even Court. His bat to me is a big swing and miss. I have zero doubt he will be elsewhere next year...or maybe even in the next month or so this year.

Fair enough and I can't strongly disagree with you. The early season errors he had were impressively awful.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've mentioned this before but Sabermetrics values "outs" above all and for whatever reason the analytics people seem to believe that more "value" is lost by trying to steal bases, even if it's successful.

Obviously I'm probably more into the analytics stuff/support it more than most on here, but I disagree with devaluing steals/hit and runs/bunting. In addition to steals, speed is important if you want to see a guy go from first to third on a single/double. I do think there is a lot of value in having a guy who can turn a single into a double by stealing second.

Don't know why but I've always had an affinity for those speed guys, probably why I appreciate Mallex Smith and Dee Gordon more than most. If franchises had the same mentality they did 4-5 years ago, Dee Gordon wouldn't have been difficult to move IMO.

Most people have an affection for guys like Smith and Dee because when someone steals a bag it is the second most exciting individual play outside of a home run IMO. A stolen base or legging out a double or triple energizing the crowd. On the same note a guy from the outfielder throwing a rope to nail a guy does too. I get the philosophy of the analytics but playing it safe to me isn’t sports.

Edgar’s double does not happen in today’s baseball because Cora would not be allowed to bunt for a hit.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people have an affection for guys like Smith and Dee because when someone steals a bag it is the second most exciting individual play outside of a home run IMO. A stolen base or legging out a double or triple energizing the crowd. On the same note a guy from the outfielder throwing a rope to nail a guy does too. I get the philosophy of the analytics but playing it safe to me isn’t sports.

Edgar’s double does not happen in today’s baseball because Cora would not be allowed to bunt for a hit.

I actually think I get more excited over a triple/SB or throwing a runner out at at the plate than anything else. I wish they still allowed home plate collisions. Just a personal preference though.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome the Mariners no hit again. Has any team been no hit twice After the All-Star break?

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome the Mariners no hit again. Has any team been no hit twice After the All-Star break?
:pound::pound:I doubt it. Only the M's organization could accomplish something like that :pound::pound: