• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ Davis :L:L:L

Though I am going to throw this out there cause its come up with the Lou talk, we need to remember Dan Wilson came over from the Reds where Lou came from, as much as I would love to blame the front office on every crappy move, I think this one might be on Lou, since he already had "his" catcher the Posada deal never came to life

Could very well be on Lou though when Lou wanted to add talent they wouldn't listen to him. Cheap as team. And I get the Wilson issue with Posada, but you never have enough potential catchers as the M's should now better than anyone.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Future Mariners News...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the other day. Posting it only because I don't remember having a SS playing the defense he has been playing in some time.

Crawford's insane defensive play | 07/27/2019

I like this kid a lot! Every now and then you see a trade and the guy settles into a role of being “ thee guy” Dipoto might have just hit a homerun on the trade for this kid

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this kid a lot! Every now and then you see a trade and the guy settles into a role of being “ thee guy” Dipoto might have just hit a homerun on the trade for this kid

I still think the return for an All-Star SS who had a team friendly contract and playing in his prime years should have been more, but I am liking JP a lot. I was getting so tired of watching our SS's take one step and miss the groudballs by 3 feet.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't look overwhelmed in the majors which I love. After watching Romine last year and Moore this year try and play the utility role, Nola looks legit. And to have a utility guy (or maybe more) play catcher, that is huge to me on what you can do with your roster. I hope he sticks.

I also hope it works out well. Not all starters in the majors come up as heralded prospects and it would be great if we found a guy like him who could just be a late bloomer.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the return for an All-Star SS who had a team friendly contract and playing in his prime years should have been more, but I am liking JP a lot. I was getting so tired of watching our SS's take one step and miss the groudballs by 3 feet.

Agreed on the return for Segura. I do partially believe it's because it was known he's a cancer in the clubhouse. I was kinda 'meh' on J.P. Crawford, but he has impressed me defensively and offensively. He has 17 doubles and 3 triples in 52 games this season which is really impressive. Over 162 games that would be roughly 50+ doubles and 9ish triples. Also if he continues to develop, those doubles and triples could become homers.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it was just me dreaming of being on the other side of making the right trade after watching years of asking for Pettitte and getting Hitchcock, or turning down Posada and getting Russ Davis. It would have been nice to have another Buhner-esque trade which is talked about positively decades later. I mean what IF we added Paxto to that deal and got McNeil and Alonso instead of the Yankee deal? Oh what it would be like to see things through the eyes of a winning franchise just once. :)

Those are things that wet dreams are made of. I got a semi just thinking about such a deal, no homo.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on the return for Segura. I do partially believe it's because it was known he's a cancer in the clubhouse. I was kinda 'meh' on J.P. Crawford, but he has impressed me defensively and offensively. He has 17 doubles and 3 triples in 52 games this season which is really impressive. Over 162 games that would be roughly 50+ doubles and 9ish triples. Also if he continues to develop, those doubles and triples could become homers.

I’ll trade the HRs for great defense and an average hitting, we got spoiled with Jean and the offense but his defense was pedestrian at best

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll trade the HRs for great defense and an average hitting, we got spoiled with Jean and the offense but his defense was pedestrian at best

I thought of Segura as a plus defender - Baseball-Reference's metrics also grade him pretty well - but if J.P. Crawford continues to play this way I think it's a better deal than expected. I would've liked to see Segura be a piece of the rebuild, but with his clubhouse issues I don't think we had a choice but to trade him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought of Segura as a plus defender - Baseball-Reference's metrics also grade him pretty well - but if J.P. Crawford continues to play this way I think it's a better deal than expected. I would've liked to see Segura be a piece of the rebuild, but with his clubhouse issues I don't think we had a choice but to trade him.

I didn't think Segura had the good first step. I saw a lot of balls hit look like outs that made it to the outfield. JP has made those plays in my opinion. I like the change, but wanted more in the deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Santana stock just went up. :)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Non Mariners:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think Segura had the good first step. I saw a lot of balls hit look like outs that made it to the outfield. JP has made those plays in my opinion. I like the change, but wanted more in the deal.

Since I don't watch all of the games - and when I do I'm generally not paying all that close of attention - I generally defer to how they're graded with dWAR and Segura ranked 11th in MLB per Fangraphs. Obviously that has its limitations but it's at least one metric that seems to indicate Segura was above average defensively.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know Dee Gordon's contract is a constraint but if someone is looking for a utility player I think he'd be a better option. He can play SS, 2B and OF. Additionally he's still a threat on the bases. Bummer for him (and us) that he has had a lot of minor injuries that seem to be taking a toll.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I don't watch all of the games - and when I do I'm generally not paying all that close of attention - I generally defer to how they're graded with dWAR and Segura ranked 11th in MLB per Fangraphs. Obviously that has its limitations but it's at least one metric that seems to indicate Segura was above average defensively.

I don't buy defensive metric ratings. I will keep with the eye test. Segura had limited range in my opinion.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy defensive metric ratings. I will keep with the eye test. Segura had limited range in my opinion.

Yeah his body mass slows him down...... ( that's me being politically correct in not calling him the fat guy at short)

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners Baseball summed up in one tweet