• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tOfficial Mariners 2019 Season Thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally wouldn't worry too much about Cal Raleigh turning out to be a stud primarily due to the fact that I'm really comfortable with Omar Narvaez being the every day catcher and if Tom Murphy continues hitting the way he has, I think that's a great combo.

Haniger does have his injury concerns but I really can't blame him for the testicle injury or the fastball he took to the face. That's just some freak of nature shit. Paxton on the other hand just doesn't seem to be able to hold up and injury issues with pitchers are more concerning than a position player IMO.

I love Vogelbach but he may be best off in a platoon role. Obviously he hasn't had a whole lot of experience at the major league level, but his splits in 2019 are somewhat concerning. He's hitting .281/.421/.607 with 18 HRs against RHPs in 247 PAs but he's hitting .129/.229/.242 with 2 HRs in 70 PAs against lefties.

I’m mostly using Raleigh as a catching prospect in the system that if he does hit, he cheap and a core option.

I can’t or am not blaming Haniger but it is similar to Paxton where weird injuries happen. So it’s not his fault but reliability is huge in a rebuild.

I’ll always be against the thought that a LH can’t hit LHP. I will always contend that coaches allowed lefties to hit lefties from a younger age and in professional baseball, the averages would not be that dissimilar.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m mostly using Raleigh as a catching prospect in the system that if he does hit, he cheap and a core option.

I can’t or am not blaming Haniger but it is similar to Paxton where weird injuries happen. So it’s not his fault but reliability is huge in a rebuild.

I’ll always be against the thought that a LH can’t hit LHP. I will always contend that coaches allowed lefties to hit lefties from a younger age and in professional baseball, the averages would not be that dissimilar.

The nice thing with Cal Raleigh is that he is hitting pretty well right now. He has 14 HRs and 18 doubles in 72 games. Tom Murphy has started to regress, but I do really like Narvaez as a long-term starter.

Hard to say with Haniger regarding his reliability. The testicle injury and the fastball he took to the face are just random and has nothing to do with his body. Those are just random freak of nature injuries. On the other hand he has had other injury concerns, but I wouldn't knock him for the time he lost for those two.

I find your last point interesting. I don't really know if that would be the case, but you could be right. Just going by the numbers it appears Vogelbach is better suited to hit righties. Throughout his minor and major league career he has been excellent against righties but his numbers against lefties are abysmal to put it nicely. Hard to say if he would improve if he faced lefties more often, but the sample size we have isn't pretty.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good to hear about Strickland and Tuivailala.

Unfortunately they probably won't get enough playing time to show enough before the trade deadline, but they could both be trade assets in the offseason.

Welcome to the Seattle Mariners, where a player returning from an injury is viewed as a positive because they can be traded. God I hate that I'm stuck with this team. I should've gone to New York and become converted to a Yankees fan.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!

Looks like the M's are hanging in there today. Just came in and checked the score. 4-3 M's :thumb:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!

Looks like the M's are hanging in there today. Just came in and checked the score. 4-3 M's :thumb:

Happy Fourth, buddy.

I'm about ready to head out to a friend's BBQ and day drink until I'm able to sleep through all the fireworks then come on here tomorrow and preface every post I make with "I'm hungover so I might not make any sense."

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nice thing with Cal Raleigh is that he is hitting pretty well right now. He has 14 HRs and 18 doubles in 72 games. Tom Murphy has started to regress, but I do really like Narvaez as a long-term starter.

Hard to say with Haniger regarding his reliability. The testicle injury and the fastball he took to the face are just random and has nothing to do with his body. Those are just random freak of nature injuries. On the other hand he has had other injury concerns, but I wouldn't knock him for the time he lost for those two.

I find your last point interesting. I don't really know if that would be the case, but you could be right. Just going by the numbers it appears Vogelbach is better suited to hit righties. Throughout his minor and major league career he has been excellent against righties but his numbers against lefties are abysmal to put it nicely. Hard to say if he would improve if he faced lefties more often, but the sample size we have isn't pretty.

I have just always thought this since I was a child. 2 of the best 3 pitchers on my HS team were lefties so we saw them all the time. We played Bellermine Prep and destroyed Lester and essentially every lefty we faced because we practiced against them. We didn’t sit all of our lefty hitters in practice just because one of them was on the mound.

To me it is just data is that is skewed. Lefty vs lefty to me is no different than judging the entire Mariners season based off of their 13-2 start. Since the advent of the bullpen, lefties just don’t face lefties as much, but when a righty goes on a slump against a righty you don’t write him off as he can’t hit. Splits are great but, just to me, the data isn’t truthful. Give Vogelbach or any lefty in general the same or close to the AB’s against a lefty and the numbers IMO will be just like every other normal stat in baseball where averages will play out, not a small sample size.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Fourth, buddy.

I'm about ready to head out to a friend's BBQ and day drink until I'm able to sleep through all the fireworks then come on here tomorrow and preface every post I make with "I'm hungover so I might not make any sense."

OK- looking forward to trying to figure out what your saying in today's "hungover" posts :pound:
No doubt yesterday/last night was worth it :noidea:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I was hungover from last night. Instead I woke up an hour after going to bed soaked and shaky. My blood sugar dropped to 59 which is low for most people but extremely low for me. 100-110 is my normal low. My wife was texting me instructions and the phone screen looked like it had smudges all over it. It is weird what your body does when you drop.

Yes, a hangover would have been much preferred. Okay back to talking Mariners and ruptured nut sacks and such.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK- looking forward to trying to figure out what your saying in today's "hungover" posts :pound:
No doubt yesterday/last night was worth it :noidea:

Yup I'm hungover. Thank God for the long weekend.

My friend invited me out for mimosas this morning and it made my liver hurt almost as badly as Haniger's ruptured testicle.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I was hungover from last night. Instead I woke up an hour after going to bed soaked and shaky. My blood sugar dropped to 59 which is low for most people but extremely low for me. 100-110 is my normal low. My wife was texting me instructions and the phone screen looked like it had smudges all over it. It is weird what your body does when you drop.

Yes, a hangover would have been much preferred. Okay back to talking Mariners and ruptured nut sacks and such.

Do you have diabetes? I literally know nothing about this stuff but it goes without saying that perhaps you should talk to a doctor or go to an urgent care clinic.

Hope you're feeling better.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have diabetes? I literally know nothing about this stuff but it goes without saying that perhaps you should talk to a doctor or go to an urgent care clinic.

Hope you're feeling better.

I am diabetic. I actually found out when I first moved to AZ. I would be at the gym for like 20 minutes and then just almost fall to the floor with no ability to stand. It was kind of scary.

The problem I have is I take 1 pills and 2 shots a day which does a number on your stomach which sometimes makes you not hungry. If you don't eat, you crash. I crashed. I ate two ice cream bars and two hotdogs at 11:30 last night to get my sugar back up. It worked, but if it drops much lower you can bottom out so bad you won't be able to make it to the kitchen to eat. The scariest part is when I started seeing things on my phone screen. Pardon my French, but it can really fuck you up if you are not careful. Oh and remember that drinking can do a lot to your blood sugars if not careful.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am diabetic. I actually found out when I first moved to AZ. I would be at the gym for like 20 minutes and then just almost fall to the floor with no ability to stand. It was kind of scary.

The problem I have is I take 1 pills and 2 shots a day which does a number on your stomach which sometimes makes you not hungry. If you don't eat, you crash. I crashed. I ate two ice cream bars and two hotdogs at 11:30 last night to get my sugar back up. It worked, but if it drops much lower you can bottom out so bad you won't be able to make it to the kitchen to eat. The scariest part is when I started seeing things on my phone screen. Pardon my French, but it can really fuck you up if you are not careful. Oh and remember that drinking can do a lot to your blood sugars if not careful.

Gawd, that is terrible!! How often do you have to check your blood each day? I had an aunt who had diabetes and she had to check it every day to determine if she needed to give herself a shot. I don't know anything about diabetes though. Obviously you must know what you need to do but why did you have the prob last night? Does that happen very often?

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My friend invited me out for mimosas this morning and it made my liver hurt almost as badly as Haniger's ruptured testicle.

Dude, you must be a gluten for punishment. :pound:I'm surprised you even bothered to post today. I would have probably just stayed in the rack all day if I felt like that. :nod:

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, at least you were probably a bit more tame than these dudes back in the day.

drinks.png

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t think of anything more painful to watch than a Kyle Seagar AB. And it’s been that way for 3 years now. Just sad that he’s just a lost cause now after he looked to be one of the few guys this organization developed a little bit

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t think of anything more painful to watch than a Kyle Seagar AB. And it’s been that way for 3 years now. Just sad that he’s just a lost cause now after he looked to be one of the few guys this organization developed a little bit

I agree about Kyle. I'm back to saying "oh gawd, it's Seager batting now". What is he now? something like 0 for 22? Sure can't depend on him at all with guys on the bases. Love his defense but can't stand his offense. Sad......but unfortunately true.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gawd, that is terrible!! How often do you have to check your blood each day? I had an aunt who had diabetes and she had to check it every day to determine if she needed to give herself a shot. I don't know anything about diabetes though. Obviously you must know what you need to do but why did you have the prob last night? Does that happen very often?

I am suppose to check it twice a day but I never do. Regardless of what it is, and it is always high, I have to take shots in the morning and before bed. I don't wish that on anyone. It usually doesn't hurt, but not all needles are created the same and sometimes it is just pushing it through your skin with a dull one. Those can be a bitch. Best thing to do is not get it in the first place. Everybody should get checked and then do what it takes to prevent it. I didn't and now I live with it forever. Be smarter than me...which isn't hard.