• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Eastern Conference Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, none of this has anything to do with whether or not Whiteside is the better player right now. He simply is. You can bring up all of the past nonsense you want, but it won't change that fact.

Either Whiteside has learned from his past and will go on to have a good career, or he hasn't and will at some point have another meltdown or series of them that will result in him being out of the league again. As of now, it looks like the former, but given his past, there is certainly reason to speculate on the latter.

However, none of that changes the fact that right now, today, he is in the NBA and he's a better player than Thompson.

It's also funny how the Cavs take on a known malcontent and cancer like JR Smith and you were 100% on board and arguing that he'll be a solid citizen in Cleveland (which, thus far, he has been), but you're so sure that Whiteside won't be able to do the same. Something tells me that it has more to do with the uniform each player is wearing than any real insight into either of them.
how do you define "better player" though? is it who has the most potential? Who has the best inidvidual games? Who helps their team win the most?

as I have said- i measure the "better" player- and who i would rather have by weighing a number of different factors--- Talent of course #1, but also work ethic, leadership, health, contract status, fit, position importance/scarcity, playoff experience, etc.

When I weigh all those factors- I simply cannot come to any other conclusion that if I was an NBA GM trying to build a winner i would take Tristan Thompson over Whiteside and let the risk that im commiting a quarter of my payroll to a nut to some other GM.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet you support JR Smith who's thrown a cheap shot at someone on the court. And has another case where he was suspected to assault someone. The irony.

...not to mention that he caused the death of another human being.

Turd city.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, none of this has anything to do with whether or not Whiteside is the better player right now. He simply is. You can bring up all of the past nonsense you want, but it won't change that fact.

Either Whiteside has learned from his past and will go on to have a good career, or he hasn't and will at some point have another meltdown or series of them that will result in him being out of the league again. As of now, it looks like the former, but given his past, there is certainly reason to speculate on the latter.

However, none of that changes the fact that right now, today, he is in the NBA and he's a better player than Thompson.

It's also funny how the Cavs take on a known malcontent and cancer like JR Smith and you were 100% on board and arguing that he'll be a solid citizen in Cleveland (which, thus far, he has been), but you're so sure that Whiteside won't be able to do the same. Something tells me that it has more to do with the uniform each player is wearing than any real insight into either of them.
Jr Smith makes 5 million a year and if he really screwed up the Cavs could cut him without a second thought. Thats a very LOW risk investment.

Whiteside is going to command 4 years about 90 million this offseason. that is a SUBSTANTIALLY bigger risk obviously.

That- and im not trying to compare Jr Smith to the best players at his positioni n the league and saying hes better than Andre freaking Drummond..HUUUUUGE difference there of course.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do you define "better player" though? is it who has the most potential? Who has the best inidvidual games? Who helps their team win the most?

as I have said- i measure the "better" player- and who i would rather have by weighing a number of different factors--- Talent of course #1, but also work ethic, leadership, health, contract status, fit, position importance/scarcity, playoff experience, etc.

When I weigh all those factors- I simply cannot come to any other conclusion that if I was an NBA GM trying to build a winner i would take Tristan Thompson over Whiteside and let the risk that im commiting a quarter of my payroll to a nut to some other GM.

You have got to be kidding me :L

Wiggy, prepare to get laughed at BIG TIME!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet you support JR Smith who's thrown a cheap shot at someone on the court. And has another case where he was suspected to assault someone. The irony.
im not saying Smith is "the most dominant" shooting guard in the game and worth max money.

Smith is probably between the 5th and 7th most important Cav. and his contract is nothing. If they needed to cut him tomorrow it would hurt- but it certainly wouldn't tank them. HUGELY different.

If you guys were telling me Whiteside should get 8 million a year and was around a league average center- similar to where I believe JR is at- ya think i would be saying how poor of a risk he is?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have got to be kidding me :L

Wiggy, prepare to get laughed at BIG TIME!
whats your definition then of the better player for your team? When you look at 2 different players- how do you determine which one you would rather have helping the Lakers try and win again? Stats alone?

if you dont think that criteria such as - "Talent of course #1, but also work ethic, leadership, health, contract status, fit, position importance/scarcity, playoff experience, etc" - isnt the same or strikingly similar criteria that GM's and front office personnel, and owners and coaches and scouts use i dont know what to tell ya.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats your definition then of the better player for your team? When you look at 2 different players- how do you determine which one you would rather have helping the Lakers try and win again? Stats alone?

if you dont think that criteria such as - "Talent of course #1, but also work ethic, leadership, health, contract status, fit, position importance/scarcity, playoff experience, etc" - isnt the same or strikingly similar criteria that GM's and front office personnel, and owners and coaches and scouts use i dont know what to tell ya.

I found this site pretty interesting.

According to their comparison, it's not even close.

Start Hassan Whiteside or Tristan Thompson?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whiteside is more athletically gifted, a better scorer, better rebounder and better defender. Now that he has apparently figured shit out and grown up a little, his work ethic has been fine as well. You don't improve as dramatically as he has without putting in work. Neither of them are called upon at this point to be leaders, so that is a moot point. His health is fine and he has a better contract than Thompson, but will likely be making at least as much, if not more than Thompson once free agency is over.

As for taking Whiteside over Thompson, I'd wager that the majority of NBA GM's would take him over Thompson. Especially at the salary Thompson is getting. There really isn't anything that Thompson brings to the table that can't be replicated with a less expensive player. For example, Julius Randle averages more points and more rebounds than Thompson, plays the exact same minutes and makes a whole lot less money.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By your logic Derek Fisher would have to be considered one of the best PGs of all time.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All I took from this is bull shit, bull shit, and more bull shit.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i saw that Vuvevic abused Whiteside in that game...do you have a point? Just like the Blancote killer- Alex Ajinca did at one time.....you raelly think that ONE game either way means anything at all? LOL

You're right.
Whiteside's season numbers DESTROY
Tristan and near every other C.
That's why he became in 1 year a player who multiple teams will offer a max to vs the player
nobody heard of a year ago

And, he really wasn't destroyed by any of your examples, but u wouldn't really know because u didn't watch the games.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jr Smith makes 5 million a year and if he really screwed up the Cavs could cut him without a second thought. Thats a very LOW risk investment.

Whiteside is going to command 4 years about 90 million this offseason. that is a SUBSTANTIALLY bigger risk obviously.

That- and im not trying to compare Jr Smith to the best players at his positioni n the league and saying hes better than Andre freaking Drummond..HUUUUUGE difference there of course.

As of now, if Whiteside fucks up in the playoffs, or before he signs a contract, he can be cut loose just as easily. I would also expect that a Whiteside contract will have some kind of incentives/behavior clauses.

JR Smith isn't being compared to the best players at his position because he isn't playing like one of the best at his position, Whiteside is.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Hassan Whiteside

• Experts rank this player at 10th among C's. Based on his stats from the past 30 days, he is currently ranked 7th with2079 total points (29.28 avg).
  • He is currently 600 points behind the leader: Andre Drummond
  • He is putting up slightly better numbers than the experts expected him to.
  • His average points in the past two weeks have increased by 2.3 PPG.
Performance Stats
  • Shooting 61.54% from the field this month. Very impressive for a big man.
  • Assists per game numbers are 0.47 apg.
  • Rebounds per game numbers are impressive for a center / power forward with 12.33 rpg this month.
  • Great inside presence and is ranked in the top 5 in rebounds.
Bonus Qualities
  • Played in 21 more games this year than last year.
  • At this point in the season his numbers compared to last years: PPG: +3.14, APG: +0.3, RPG: +2.67, MPG: +7.37

Tristan Thompson
C | Cleveland Cavaliers
  • Experts rank this player at 100th among C's. Based on his stats from the past 30 days, he is currently ranked 19th with1508 total points (18.85 avg).
  • He is currently 1171 points behind the leader: Andre Drummond
  • Phenominal stats in the past 30 days. If he can keep it up, then keep him. . otherwise think trade.
Performance Stats
  • Shooting 60.29% from the field this month. Very impressive for a big man.
  • Assists per game numbers are 0.94 apg.
  • Rebounds per game numbers are pretty good for a center / power forward with 7.63 rpg this month.
Bonus Qualities
  • Played in 83 less games this year than last year.
  • At this point in the season his numbers compared to last years: PPG: -3.45, APG: -0.25, RPG: +0.12, MPG: --1.95 STLS: --0.09 BLKS: +0.01

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd take Whiteside to the Lakers over Thompson without a second thought for 2 reasons.

1.) The Lakers need a center.
2.) The Lakers already have a power forward who is better than Thompson.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Whiteside to the Lakers over Thompson without a second thought for 2 reasons.

I'm almost inclined to say I'd take Nance Jr. over Thompson too

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of now, if Whiteside fucks up in the playoffs, or before he signs a contract, he can be cut loose just as easily. I would also expect that a Whiteside contract will have some kind of incentives/behavior clauses.

JR Smith isn't being compared to the best players at his position because he isn't playing like one of the best at his position, Whiteside is.
i would highly doubt it- in a competitive market place- if he is offered 3 deals- and 17 teams have enough room to offer a max- isnt it just easy to say- take this out or im going here?- plus- as far as the CBA is concerned im not sure exactly what you could do--- contracts are guaranteed in the NBA....i suppose you could try and set something up like the CAvs did with Bynum- but of course he would have to agree to it.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What would you give Hibbert to remain in a backup capacity?

His numbers are dreadful.

But, is it because he sucks or he's taking a backseat to the farewell tour and the Julius Randle show?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why do you say that?

Leadership, health, court vision, wins, experience, clutch.

I mean of course, talent is #1 but isn't this the exact reason why you're picking Thompson over Whiteside?

Status
Not open for further replies.