• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial "Derek Jeter Retirement Circus" Thread

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A small piece from an article today

"Jeter was never MVP. Jeter never won a batting title. Jeter has 3,408 hits. But longevity helped, and he’s mostly a singles guy. Jeter won five Gold Gloves, but he’s no Ozzie Smith.

Nomar Garciaparra won two batting titles. His career batting average is .313. Jeter’s is .311. But not many would say Garciaparra is in the same class as Jeter. Garciaparra wasn’t a Yankee.

Joe Mauer has won three batting titles. His career batting average is .320. But he’s not a Yankee.

They couldn’t even say Gwynn’s name on TV last night. Gwynn wasn’t a Yankee.

You can be really, really good and still be overrated. That’s Derek Jeter.

:clap:

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A small piece from an article today

"Jeter was never MVP. Jeter never won a batting title. Jeter has 3,408 hits. But longevity helped, and he’s mostly a singles guy. Jeter won five Gold Gloves, but he’s no Ozzie Smith.

Nomar Garciaparra won two batting titles. His career batting average is .313. Jeter’s is .311. But not many would say Garciaparra is in the same class as Jeter. Garciaparra wasn’t a Yankee.

Joe Mauer has won three batting titles. His career batting average is .320. But he’s not a Yankee.

Link?

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll assume there is no link, a Google search of the above text revealed only…drum roll…this thread.

You obviously knew what you were typing was such idiocy that you tried to disassociate yourself from it by claiming was from “an article” , nice try.

Hammer bought it.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand corrected, sort of.

Thanks!

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll assume there is no link, a Google search of the above text revealed only…drum roll…this thread.

You obviously knew what you were typing was such idiocy that you tried to disassociate yourself from it by claiming was from “an article” , nice try.

Hammer bought it.

Why is it "idiocy?" Did you check the stats and find out they were untrue or what? You Yankee fans are so touchy about Jetes and his legacy.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it "idiocy?" Did you check the stats and find out they were untrue or what? You Yankee fans are so touchy about Jetes and his legacy.

Not 1/1000th as touchy as you guys are about him receiving accolades.

:suds:

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the full article/public opinion/column

Adam Wainwright tossed grapefruits to Derek Jeter to start the All-Star Game. Grooved pitches. Wainwright admitted it. Heck, he bragged about it.

But the best Jeter could do is double. What a has-been.

Luckily, it’s only the MLB All-Star Game. Nobody takes it seriously.

As Deadspin.com noted, Jeter’s name was mentioned 100 times during the All-Star Game telecast. If he played for San Diego, no one would give a crap about Jeter, or about this being his last season.

There’s proof. Tony Gwynn was an eight-time batting champ. Gwynn died recently. His name wasn’t mentioned once during the telecast. No tribute. Gwynn played for the Padres.

If Jeter played in a lesser media market, he’d be considered very good. But the national media takes a Yankee and adds that extra layer of gloss.

Jeter was never MVP. Jeter never won a batting title. Jeter has 3,408 hits. But longevity helped, and he’s mostly a singles guy. Jeter won five Gold Gloves, but he’s no Ozzie Smith.

Read more: NEW YORK GROOVE | Mark Madden on 105.9 The X

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,805.48
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for Jeter, the other players, Fox Sports, or why MLB/Selig didn't do more to give a little tribute to Gywnn at the midsummer classic....but have any of you considered that maybe the Gwynn Family, or even the Padres requested it and wanted it that way for whatever reason?

And yes ftr:...a little acknowledgement during the 7th inning stretch would have been fine by me.

btw: no one mentioned Bob Welch either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said I stood corrected.

I feel a lot better after reading up on the guy who wrote, he's a piece of work.

He is a piece of work.

A lifelong Pittsburgh guy who's been broadcasting for quite sometime. He calls it like he see's it. Doesn't kiss any of their teams asses other than the Penguins occasionally. He calls out Pirates ownership for being cheap fucks and Mike Tomlin's Steelers for letting the players walk all over him..etc..etc... Not looking for comped shit for being a kiss ass.

I'd rather hear that than those who always paint a rosey picture and make excuses.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do Yankee fans change a light bulb?

They don't, they just talk about how great the old one was.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for Jeter, the other players, Fox Sports, or why MLB/Selig didn't do more to give a little tribute to Gywnn at the midsummer classic....but have any of you considered that maybe the Gwynn Family, or even the Padres requested it and wanted it that way for whatever reason?

And yes ftr:...a little acknowledgement during the 7th inning stretch would have been fine by me.

btw: no one mentioned Bob Welch either.
I guess it's possible, but I doubt the Gwynn family asked MLB to completely forget abut their son/husband/father/brother while the league spent it's entire broadcast slurping on the prepuce of one of the most overrated players since Phil Rizzutto.

I do agree that Welch getting an honorable mention would have been appropriate, though for the purposes of this discussion (ie; HOFers) he didn't get slammed like Tony did.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you want to try to refute anything he posted or are you going to hang your hat on your own inability to search the web?

I'm going to hang my hat on my inability to search the web.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00