• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Dallas/Refs/Lions/NFL/Roger/Pete suck thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were not complaining about missed calls. Were mad that the penalty flag was thrown. Call was announced. Marked it off. Let players walk downfield. Then let some ref 45 yds away over rule the call. Thats why were mad
As you should be.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really should issue statements about not calling running into the Dallas kicker then. Then there is Williams getting called for OPI when he got shoved into the defender.

I have seen a number of posts, IIRC one on ESPN, where they point out the difference between the Dallas penalty, and the situation you refer to. Primary difference being (a) arguably being pushed/guided into the kicker, (b) the Detroit player did NOT make it impossible for the kicker to put is plant foot on the ground (the actual turf) or take it out, and (c) the Detroit player is actually making an effort to keep the kicker upright.

Pretty much the difference - as a pash rusher - between being slightly late and wiping out the QB, and not being able to completely pull off, making contact, but trying to minimize it/keeping him upright.

And as far as the Williams call goes... not too sure whether Williams did not let himself get shoved into the Lions defender, though this is one that gets called rarely.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions blew it on multiple plays and the PI, defensive holding errrrr non PI, defensive holding, Dez storming the field without his helmet just added to it. I wasn't 100% sure the Lions were gonna score a td anyway on that drive and a fg would've had the same impact to the end. Needless to say you can't blow a 21-7 lead in the playoffs. This is what separates teams like Detroit and yes Dallas to Seattle, NE, GB, Pittsburgh, etc. I'm more pissed their OC went into full ultra conservative mode in the 2nd half and Sam Martin had yet another shank punt in a big game. The only way to avoid these questionable calls especially when you're playing a "league favorite" is to bury them so officials decisions don't come into play.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the penalty sticks, Detroit is on the Dallas 30 and in FG range. If they don't gain another yard Detroit kicks the FG and goes up by 6 instead of just 3.

The kickoff, more than likely, comes out to the 20 - give or take a few yards. Dallas has to now go 80 for the win.

And even if they get the TD, all Detroit has to do is get a FG in return as Dallas would have been up by just 1 point.

Yeah - the call was HUGE.

Dallas got away with one - and I'm hoping the Packers humiliate them in GB.

Couldnt had said it better than that myself.

Yes dallas deserves it. They pay better. Time for the lions to get a party bus

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel bad for Detroit because of all the threads created by not Lion fans that keep reminding them and adding salt. Let it go

The Lion fans on these boards are big boys. They can handle it.

IMO- The most entertaining threads have come from this subject. The officiating has been a atrocious this year and it seems to be getting worse.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I suppose you are? :L

Kinda hard to find many non dallas fans that agree with you but yet millions agree with lions fans. Take out the cowboys and the lions fans out of this argument and the dallas side loses hands down.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't change anything now. Proves what many football fans believed they witnessed. Can't be undone though.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda hard to find many non dallas fans that agree with you but yet millions agree with lions fans. Take out the cowboys and the lions fans out of this argument and the dallas side loses hands down.

If the roles were reversed I have a very hard time believing they'd be ho hum. :whistle:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, Christie is a born and raised Garden Stater.

Regardless, as I said earlier in this thread. It isn't so much that he supports the Cowboys. Mike Bloomberg is a Red Sox fan and no one really cared.

It's that he is flaunting it.

When it's all said and done this isn't that big a deal. But I can tell you that every Giant fan friend of mine is pretty pissed off at him right now.

Because he is sitting in an owners box? What Mayor hasn't done that with a sports team?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that Eagle fans who live in South Jersey are probably too keen on hearing Christie call them the worst fans in America.

I say if the shoe fits, wear it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I ask this question: "If the media didn't constantly show Christie in the owners box and you weren't actually in the stadium would you even know he was there? Shouldn't you be blaming the media for "hyping/fapping" this up?

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you dont lose a game on one call. Never, ever.

to think otherwise is to disregard the other 99% of the game: all the sweat, effort, and skill means nothing.

Detroit lost because they only scored 3 points in the second half; because they turned the ball over, because Stafford did not make the throws when needed, and because of poor decisions.

Dallas won the game, because of a big 4th and 6, because of turnovers, and because Romo made the passes when they needed them.

Maybe just maybe Detroit wold have scored more than three if not for the bogus call..... If memory serves me correctly,Detoit was driving.....

But I also thought they should have tried to run the ball on 3rd and 1.......

But they didn't and still does not right the ship on the blown call.

aar000n

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well according to some butt hurt fans, Dallas got all the calls.

You know fans of teams that do not root for Dallas. I guess that includes the NFL as they apologized today. Must be nice to dismiss any argument that doesnt kiss Dallas's ass as but hurt fans. :doh:

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that no one ref in football really has that much influence. Look at it at more broadly.

Say I am Tommy Bones a big time organized crime guy looking to get the fix in on a game. How would I even go about it? Pay the head ref off? Pay one of the judges? How could I have a realistic expectation that the ref could actually affect the outcome of the game in any meaningful way? Not to mention that the NFL isn't some random event that is sparsely viewed with limited camera exposure. 70,000 fans watching live. Millions watching TV. Cameras everywhere.

The risks far outweigh the potential gains.

Even basketball only has limited potential for refs to alter the outcome and that is by far the most easily affected game by the refs.

If you want to fix a match, go after the players.

I think you underestimate the influence of one ref (the reversal non-call of the Detroit game is one example, and there have been quite a few in the past). The more adamant tends to win these kinds or arguments... And on amateur level I have seen a number of stupendous reversals by one ref having influence...

To the point of deciding who wins a game? Probably not... but score wise... But it will not be too hard, just looking at these four examples:

1) Bad spotting of the ball. Half a yard here or there might make the difference between going for it, and punting, or a 1st down. And in goal line situations deciding whether a player was in or not. Odds are the ruling will stand. Again, could well be the difference between FG and TD. The truly blatant ones have become harder with the arrival of instant replay.

2) Holding. Ignore the holds by an O-line, or call them. Ignore the RB/TE being tackled when crossing the line going out on a route, or call it (situations like the one - rightly - called on the Lions on the final Dallas scoring drive). With the atrocious way holding is being called, as well as the attitude of many fans, also openly displayed on this board: "who cares, since there is holding on every play, and therefore we cannot be strict or complain about non-enforcement" this is an easy one.

3) Calling defensive holding/DPI. Not only are the rules wishy washy, but by (non)calling a few early, you can seriously affect the way the defense will play the pass.

4) To some extent even with penalties like PF's vs QB's, or even facemasks of RB's and tackling OOB, again, since enforcement seems to be somewhat haphazard.