• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial B1G basketball thread.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting MSU in Duke's orbit is a compliment...thanks. Personally though, I think Duke is everybody's Duke...don't even get me going on UNC (might sound nuts, but imo UNC is MSU's Duke.) Michigan State's met Maryland twice in the dance (2003 & 2010) - both games decided by 2 points in Sparty's favor - both games ended by last second 3-point shots - MSU's dropped, Maryland's didn't.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL We're still trying to figure out who will be our Duke. MSU is a natural due to the tourney heartbreaks you guys delivered. March Madness buzzer beaters are great fun. Until someone drops one on your team, then they pretty much suck.

It will never feel right to me to be out of the ACC. This has nothing to do with the B1G or the great programs in it. I go back to the Buck Williams / Albert King days of Maryland. That's 35 years of history and tradition.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this was seen here or not but it was pretty cool. MD fans can be a bit crude but they also have a lot of passion and it's a program with a rich history. I hope the BIG is happy with Maryland's move, I know we are.

:eek:

Don't tell that to Nebraska fans. They'll bombard your newspapers and try to get everyone associated with your athletic department to apologize or be fired.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting MSU in Duke's orbit is a compliment...thanks. Personally though, I think Duke is everybody's Duke...don't even get me going on UNC (might sound nuts, but imo UNC is MSU's Duke.) Michigan State's met Maryland twice in the dance (2003 & 2010) - both games decided by 2 points in Sparty's favor - both games ended by last second 3-point shots - MSU's dropped, Maryland's didn't.

Yep that's what I mean by tourney heartbreaks (plural). The hate for Duke was very very real. That sniveling little rat baster Coach K wasn't fooling anyone. He got so butthurt when we left, saying how we were traitors and he would never schedule MD again. What a little bitch, he didn't see anything wrong when the league stole Big East teams like Syracuse. And of course any team out of the state of North Carolina was a red headed stepchild in that league.

So most MD fans, after getting over the loss of the traditional rivals, are cool with the move. But it's going to be a while for us to develop that amount of hate for anyone in this league. MD fans tend to like Michigan State for some reason, maybe because we have mad respect for your coach who is good friends with Gary Williams. As for me my parents as well as a cousin went there so no hate here either.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will never feel right to me to be out of the ACC. This has nothing to do with the B1G or the great programs in it. I go back to the Buck Williams / Albert King days of Maryland. That's 35 years of history and tradition.

meh...keep your play up and you can pretty well count on meeting 3 or 4 ACC opponents per year (State seems to play enough of those fuckrs to keep me thoroughly aggravated) - with at least 1 or 2 games during ooc & the B1G/ACC challenge plus 1 or 2 in the Tourney...s'kinda nice because you don't usually meet up with the ACC's basement dwellers. Plus, a major bonus for the school is that it can start building a history & tradition with real football now too.

:D

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go back to John Lucas and Tom McMillan, so yeah when I first heard they were leaving the ACC I didn't like it one bit. And if I was one of the hard cores who travel with the team I'd be pretty pissed that I'm going to Iowa, not Florida, in Feb. But I won't miss Duke and all the BS that comes with being a second class citizen in your own league. As for football I don't buy how it will improve Maryland Football. Being in the BIG does not automatically mean you get better players. How's it working out for Minnesota? I don't ever see Maryland as a good football program.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back on topic why is Purdue still being considered a bubble team? They've been near the top of the BIG all year, tied for second before yesterday, and 11-4/19-9 certainly looks good enough to me to date.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back on topic why is Purdue still being considered a bubble team? They've been near the top of the BIG all year, tied for second before yesterday, and 11-4/19-9 certainly looks good enough to me to date.

A non conf SOS of 225 and home losses to North Florida and Gardner Webb are the main reasons why they are on the bubble at this point. Plus their RPI of 58 isn't all that great either.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Congrats to Kaminsky and crew. Frank was absurd today...31 and 8 (plus 5 or 6 tips to teammates), 3 Assists, 3 Blocks, and 2 Steals. Great way to send the Seniors away from their last game at the Kohl Center.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
game, ya fuckn badgers ya.

:suds:

btw wtf happened in the last 6 minutes? I went outside to cut down a tree or something when Bucky was 20 ahead...MSU made up 13 points in that time?...can't imagine Bo ever telling his guise to ease up (especially on Izzo.)

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
game, ya fuckn badgers ya.

:suds:

btw wtf happened in the last 6 minutes? I went outside to cut down a tree or something when Bucky was 20 ahead...MSU made up 13 points in that time?...can't imagine Bo ever telling his guise to ease up (especially on Izzo.)
student athletes....

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaminsky, No. 5 Wisconsin beat Michigan State 68-61 - Yahoo News

Kaminsky is "no question the best player in the country this year," Izzo said.

He called Kaminsky the best player that he had seen in the league since Glenn Robinson starred Purdue in the 1990s.

"He's the most versatile kid that our league has seen in a long, long time," Izzo said about Kaminsky

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best player since Glenn Robinson? Wow.

Congrats to Wisconsin, the class of the league.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaminsky, No. 5 Wisconsin beat Michigan State 68-61 - Yahoo News

Kaminsky is "no question the best player in the country this year," Izzo said.

He called Kaminsky the best player that he had seen in the league since Glenn Robinson starred Purdue in the 1990s.

"He's the most versatile kid that our league has seen in a long, long time," Izzo said about Kaminsky

Best player in the league since Glenn Robinson??

Did he forget about Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Jason Richardson, Zach Randolph, Devin Harris, Deron Williams, Evan Turner, Jared Sullinger, Victor Oladipo, Cody Zeller, Trey Burke, Nik Stauskas, Michael Redd, Michael Finley??

Kaminsky is a great player, but best player the B1G has seen since the mid 90's?? That's absurd IMO.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best player in the league since Glenn Robinson??

Did he forget about Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Jason Richardson, Zach Randolph, Devin Harris, Deron Williams, Evan Turner, Jared Sullinger, Victor Oladipo, Cody Zeller, Trey Burke, Nik Stauskas, Michael Redd, Michael Finley??

Kaminsky is a great player, but best player the B1G has seen since the mid 90's?? That's absurd IMO.

Frank has a PER of 36.21. Seth Tuttle is #2 with a PER of 32.18. Syracuse's Rakeem Christmas is #27 with 28.16. In other words, the gap between Frank and #2 is bigger than the gap between #2 and #27. That's insane!

He is better than the vast majority of those listed. It's not just the scoring (although he scores 18 points per game in one of the slowest offenses in America). It's the passing, as he is easily the best passing big man there. It's the defense, as he has one of the highest defensive rebound percentages in America, and is a top 30 defender on most metrics. It's the team chemistry, as this team respects him and looks sadly lost when isn't on the floor. For the season, this team is barely up on the +/- when he isn't in the game. They lost to Rutgers without him. With him, they are 26-2.

The only guy on that list who strikes me as better than Frank was the hyper-efficient Trey Burke, although even he wasn't half the defender Frank is. And if Frank leads this team to the title (as I suspect he will), it'll be tough to rank Burke ahead of him anymore.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank has a PER of 36.21. Seth Tuttle is #2 with a PER of 32.18. Syracuse's Rakeem Christmas is #27 with 28.16. In other words, the gap between Frank and #2 is bigger than the gap between #2 and #27. That's insane!

He is better than the vast majority of those listed. It's not just the scoring (although he scores 18 points per game in one of the slowest offenses in America). It's the passing, as he is easily the best passing big man there. It's the defense, as he has one of the highest defensive rebound percentages in America, and is a top 30 defender on most metrics. It's the team chemistry, as this team respects him and looks sadly lost when isn't on the floor. For the season, this team is barely up on the +/- when he isn't in the game. They lost to Rutgers without him. With him, they are 26-2.

The only guy on that list who strikes me as better than Frank was the hyper-efficient Trey Burke, although even he wasn't half the defender Frank is. And if Frank leads this team to the title (as I suspect he will), it'll be tough to rank Burke ahead of him anymore.

Yeah, I know all the stats. He's a great player, and he's having a great season(he'd be my front runner for national Player of the Year). But he's also benefited from this being the worst B1G he's played in. He's also benefited that the league lost a lot of great and good players last year to graduation and kids leaving early to the draft. He'd be going up against Trey Burke, Nik Stauskas, Mitch McGary, Glenn Robinson III, Gary Harris, LaQuinton Ross, Cody Zeller, Noah Vonleh if those guys hadn't left, just to name a few.

And I totally disagree, that Frank is better than everybody I mentioned. Oden dominated the league as a freshman, same with Conley. I mean it's hard to compare because by the time Conley would have been a senior he was in his 3rd year in the NBA averaging 12ppg and 5.5 assists.

Frank, like I said, is great and having a great season, but best player in the B1G since the mid 90's?? That's really pushing it, considering who has come through the league, and given the lack of competition this year.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know all the stats. He's a great player, and he's having a great season(he'd be my front runner for national Player of the Year). But he's also benefited from this being the worst B1G he's played in. He's also benefited that the league lost a lot of great and good players last year to graduation and kids leaving early to the draft. He'd be going up against Trey Burke, Nik Stauskas, Mitch McGary, Glenn Robinson III, Gary Harris, LaQuinton Ross, Cody Zeller, Noah Vonleh if those guys hadn't left, just to name a few.

And I totally disagree, that Frank is better than everybody I mentioned. Oden dominated the league as a freshman, same with Conley. I mean it's hard to compare because by the time Conley would have been a senior he was in his 3rd year in the NBA averaging 12ppg and 5.5 assists.

Frank, like I said, is great and having a great season, but best player in the B1G since the mid 90's?? That's really pushing it, considering who has come through the league, and given the lack of competition this year.

Not sure what this means. Several of the guys would have been better had they stayed four years, but they didn't. That's the point.

If you adjust Frank's possessions to Oden's, you get:
Kaminsky: 20.1 PPG, 9 RPG, 2.8 APG, 1.8 BPG, 1 SPG
Oden: 15.7 PPG, 9.6 RPG, .7 APG, 3.3 BPG, .6 SPG

The numbers favor Frank. He just does more than Oden does. He passes much better. He is a more versatile scorer. If you consider his tendency to tip offensive rebounds to open teammates, he might even have more rebounds accounted for. And with Frank on the floor, all metrics suggest this team is as good as Oden's team. You can go through your list...the combo of stats and results will be unmatched besides Burke.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what this means. Several of the guys would have been better had they stayed four years, but they didn't. That's the point.

If you adjust Frank's possessions to Oden's, you get:
Kaminsky: 20.1 PPG, 9 RPG, 2.8 APG, 1.8 BPG, 1 SPG
Oden: 15.7 PPG, 9.6 RPG, .7 APG, 3.3 BPG, .6 SPG

The numbers favor Frank. He just does more than Oden does. He passes much better. He is a more versatile scorer. If you consider his tendency to tip offensive rebounds to open teammates, he might even have more rebounds accounted for. And with Frank on the floor, all metrics suggest this team is as good as Oden's team. You can go through your list...the combo of stats and results will be unmatched besides Burke.

Yeah and that's also part of the point I'm trying to make. All those guys I mentioned were talented enough to leave early, and some even several years early. And yeah, Frank is more versatile than Oden was but Frank's also more versatile than Shaq was too, not that I'm comparing Oden to Shaq, but you get my point.

Frank is having a great season, and putting up great stats, he does have better stats than most the guys I mentioned, but is he more talented than those guys? You can argue he might be more talented than Turner on that list, but that's about it IMO.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yall go ahead and argue...
St. Izzo, he say FK be best since big dog?
fuck it, that's good enough for me.
kid is fun to watch...confident, in control, creative...smooth