• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial B1G basketball thread.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao @ this coaching staff. Good stuff in that loss to NORTHWESTERN, in what was a neutral site game. Do they encourage the team not to play defense? Fucking pathetic.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao @ this coaching staff. Good stuff in that loss to NORTHWESTERN, in what was a neutral site game. Do they encourage the team not to play defense? Fucking pathetic.

Not sure why Cream waited til 3 minutes left to start pressing. Should have started much sooner IMO. I mean they were down 12 playing zone with 4 minutes left. Bad coaching.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win for Iowa. Now we need to take care of business vs Penn state. Top 4 finish looks unlikely but 5th would be ok

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice and needed win for Iowa last night. That will keep them on the right side of the bubble for now. Illinois now falls to the wrong side.

One team in the B1G that I think should be worried is Ohio State. They only have 2 wins against teams projected to make the tournament(and one of them is sliding closer to the bubble in IU), they played a terrible OOC schedule, got swept by Iowa and lost @ Michigan. If they finish 2-2, which I think is a possibility, they will have to do some damage in the B1G tournament. The closer you examine their resume the worse it looks.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice and needed win for Iowa last night. That will keep them on the right side of the bubble for now. Illinois now falls to the wrong side.

One team in the B1G that I think should be worried is Ohio State. They only have 2 wins against teams projected to make the tournament(and one of them is sliding closer to the bubble in IU), they played a terrible OOC schedule, got swept by Iowa and lost @ Michigan. If they finish 2-2, which I think is a possibility, they will have to do some damage in the B1G tournament. The closer you examine their resume the worse it looks.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think you're placing too much emphasis on the pre-season schedule. Where OSU stands in the conf is what we need to be concerned about. The imaginary cut-off line seems to be between Mich. and Minn. Win or lose, if we stay ahead of Mich, IU & Ill, I think we're in. But this is just speculation based on the fact that the BIG should have 7 teams in there.

On a side note.. I don't totally discredit the pre-season schedule. Let's say OSU finishes the season 1 game ahead of MSU. I'd take MSU over OSU for the tourney... but as it turns out, they didn't need to worry.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably most entertaining game of BIG10 season of all the games. Man did MSU choke though.

Both teams suck so much ass at free throws.

Just makes northwestern loss sting more.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
game...ya fuckn gophers ya.

:suds:

SpartyNash13

Spartan Dawg
Hoopla Cash
$ 963.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
game...ya fuckn gophers ya.

:suds:

Pathetic all around. Trice so clutch on 3s late in the 2nd half but can't make a free throw if his life depended on it. Dawson a no show and a beyond idiotic foul on the 3 point attempt late in regulation. Schilling with the worst foul of the year due to horrible positioning, and he did the same shit earlier in the half. And Izzo again too god damn stubborn to foul late and gets burned by it for the 2nd time this season. One of the shittiest losses of the season, and just like that we are back on the bubble. This team drives me to drink more and more.

Reactions: H2S

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agonizing reappraisals are agonizing.

Sparty's been flying first class so long...it's pretty humbling to find ourselves consigned to center seat steerage two rows off the fuckn loos.

we suck...
might not even make the Dance; and if we do we'll be leaving early...
it's just so fuckn strange thinking like that

:mad2:

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pathetic all around. Trice so clutch on 3s late in the 2nd half but can't make a free throw if his life depended on it. Dawson a no show and a beyond idiotic foul on the 3 point attempt late in regulation. Schilling with the worst foul of the year due to horrible positioning, and he did the same shit earlier in the half. And Izzo again too god damn stubborn to foul late and gets burned by it for the 2nd time this season. One of the shittiest losses of the season, and just like that we are back on the bubble. This team drives me to drink more and more.

You don't foul with 12 seconds left lol. Izzo played that right. Schilling was just a dumbass and Morris made the shot

SpartyNash13

Spartan Dawg
Hoopla Cash
$ 963.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't foul with 12 seconds left lol. Izzo played that right. Schilling was just a dumbass and Morris made the shot

I'm not saying you foul the second the ball is inbounded, but there were a few opportunities to foul once the ball was past half court. Dawson had a chance to foul King with about 5 seconds left before he passed to Morris who hit the 3 and the foul.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think you're placing too much emphasis on the pre-season schedule. Where OSU stands in the conf is what we need to be concerned about. The imaginary cut-off line seems to be between Mich. and Minn. Win or lose, if we stay ahead of Mich, IU & Ill, I think we're in. But this is just speculation based on the fact that the BIG should have 7 teams in there.

On a side note.. I don't totally discredit the pre-season schedule. Let's say OSU finishes the season 1 game ahead of MSU. I'd take MSU over OSU for the tourney... but as it turns out, they didn't need to worry.

Couldn't disagree more with the bolded. OOC resume and SoS is just as important as conference performance is. Take the American Conference last year. Memphis, Uconn and SMU all tied with the same record of 12-6. Uconn was a #7 seed, Memphis was a #8 seed, and SMU was in the NIT. Why was that? Because of their horrendous OOC SoS. Ohio State's Non Conf. SoS is in the 220's, not quite as bad as SMU's was last year, but it certainly is horrible. Also, Ohio State benefited from the league giving them a game against Louisville who is a top 20 RPI team, what if they would have gotten a team like Pitt, Syracuse or Miami? I don't think it will go unnoticed they scheduled next to nobody. They scheduled UNC and that was it. There next best OOC game that they actually scheduled was against High Point.

It may not matter because I think they'll finish at worse 2-1, but if they finished 1-2, they will be sweating it out going into the Big 10 Tournament at 21-10(10-8), with a SOS that will be in the 80ish range and an RPI in the 45ish range.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably most entertaining game of BIG10 season of all the games. Man did MSU choke though.

Both teams suck so much ass at free throws.

Just makes northwestern loss sting more.

So, I didn't watch the Gophers against Purdue, Iowa or Michigan State because of plans and they win all 3 of those games? 3 of their 4 best wins on the season? Maybe I should stop watching altogether. :L

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't disagree more with the bolded. OOC resume and SoS is just as important as conference performance is. Take the American Conference last year. Memphis, Uconn and SMU all tied with the same record of 12-6. Uconn was a #7 seed, Memphis was a #8 seed, and SMU was in the NIT. Why was that? Because of their horrendous OOC SoS. Ohio State's Non Conf. SoS is in the 220's, not quite as bad as SMU's was last year, but it certainly is horrible. Also, Ohio State benefited from the league giving them a game against Louisville who is a top 20 RPI team, what if they would have gotten a team like Pitt, Syracuse or Miami? I don't think it will go unnoticed they scheduled next to nobody. They scheduled UNC and that was it. There next best OOC game that they actually scheduled was against High Point.

It may not matter because I think they'll finish at worse 2-1, but if they finished 1-2, they will be sweating it out going into the Big 10 Tournament at 21-10(10-8), with a SOS that will be in the 80ish range and an RPI in the 45ish range.

couldn't agree more, Eric. And I think a big part of it is that the Big 10 is down this year compared to most years. 10-8 in the conference is almost always good enough, but this year it's just not the same. That record in a weak Big 10 (I'm still amazed they are projected to have the most teams in the tournament, but I guess it doesn't matter when all of them are like 7-11 seeds except for 1) without a strong OOC SOS to back it up could leave them sweating big-time.

It would be a shame if we didn't get to see DRuss in the tournament, would love to see if he can carry them for a round or two

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
couldn't agree more, Eric. And I think a big part of it is that the Big 10 is down this year compared to most years. 10-8 in the conference is almost always good enough, but this year it's just not the same. That record in a weak Big 10 (I'm still amazed they are projected to have the most teams in the tournament, but I guess it doesn't matter when all of them are like 7-11 seeds except for 1) without a strong OOC SOS to back it up could leave them sweating big-time.

It would be a shame if we didn't get to see DRuss in the tournament, would love to see if he can carry them for a round or two

The Big 10 is extremely down this year compared to the last 3-4 years. The main reason why there are some projecting 6-8 teams is because the Mountain West, A-10, American and to a lesser extent the Pac 12 are down as well. Just look at last year, the A-10 got 6 bids, this year it looks like 3 at the most.

But your other point is also a great one, especially in regards to Ohio State. A 10-8 record the last 3-4 years would have been perfectly fine. Taking Ohio State for example, in 2013 they also had a bad Non Conf. SoS, but the league was such that year they ended with an overall SoS of 15. Same thing in 2012, they ended with an overall SoS of 11. They have benefited SoS wise from the B1G being a top 1/2 conference the last 3-4 years. I think the strength of the B1G was the main reason why Nebraska got in last year. They performed similar to what Purdue is doing this year, but if they would have been 2nd in the conference at this point a year ago, as Purdue is this year, they would have been much more secure than what Purdue is now.

Ohio State needs to win 2 of it's final 3 to feel somewhat safe IMO.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State has the nation's #8 adjusted scoring margin. They win big and they lose close. They don't have a double-digit loss this year. Michigan is likely their only loss to a non-tourney team. They have a 24 point win over Maryland (a likely 3 seed). They are #14 in KenPom.

As long as Ohio State doesn't go 1-2 with a major blowout or 0-3, they will be fine. The committee doesn't want to pick bubble teams which might embarrass them. Ohio State won't embarrass them.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this was seen here or not but it was pretty cool. MD fans can be a bit crude but they also have a lot of passion and it's a program with a rich history. I hope the BIG is happy with Maryland's move, I know we are.

Last edited:

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am too, but is there any other choice? This is one of the most down years for everyone that I've seen in a long time.

Eric, I"m not at all saying pre-conf SOS has no value, but I'm looking at Michigan and Illinois, and I don't see anything on their schedule that sets them leaps and bounds ahead of OSU. If the committee takes either one of them over us because of that, then I'm fine with it. But I fail to see why adding 3 or 4 more top tier teams to our schedule would help.. because we would have lost to all of them. Here it is nearly the end of the season and we're still fucking around w/our lineup trying to find something that works. Trust me when I say this team wasn't ready for big time competition earlier this year.

So I guess my question is, why does having a big name on your schedule help if you didn't beat them?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh...we hate yer monkey vomit guts, ya fuckn terps ya...:suds:
LOL We're still trying to figure out who will be our Duke. MSU is a natural due to the tourney heartbreaks you guys delivered. March Madness buzzer beaters are great fun. Until someone drops one on your team, then they pretty much suck.