• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial B1G basketball thread.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't worry about how much you follow cbb, even devotees will admit they don't know shizzle, DEPT...

I don't follow basketball as much as most of you guys here, has the B1G honestly been that bad this year?

Watching all day today and it seems like the unanimous consensus is that MSU is likely a #2 seed. But they went undefeated ooc and played a pretty monster schedule, including beating Kansas. Then they lost 5 games in conference, the same or less losses than the other teams everyone is penciling as a #1. Then to make it even sillier I have heard 4 different "experts" today say that Valentine has been the better player, but Hield will win PotY because Denzel missed and then wasn't 100% for almost a fifth of the season. But they don't seem to give MSU any credit for only losing 4 of their 5 games when their best player missed the game or wasn't 100%.

I'm looking at it like they should already have a #1 seed locked up, maybe even the top seed locked up before conference tournies. But all I'm hearing all day is that they might be able to sneak into a 1 seed if they do well in their conference tournament and those other 4 teams all don't.

What am I missing?

~ the conference is fine...s'been a pretty normal year...couple of real stinkers, several works in progress, several dangerous teams and several genuine national championship run possibilities.
~ Valentine won't be fazed when Hield cops the poy - he'll be gracious and congratulatory...as should we all be.
~ Don't worry about the pundits and professional prognosticators (few of whom do any better than my wife when it comes to filling out brackets) and tourney seed worriers...all that matters is that you believe that this Izzo squad (like no other I've ever seen) is 100% focused on cutting nets on 04APR in Houston.

go green!

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Gophers fan, I never agreed with the firing of Tubby. Minnesota has been to a total of SEVEN NCAA Tournaments(they have 5 more that have been vacated, smh), but Tubby went to three tournaments, which almost matched Minnesota's history of him prior with 4. His last season with the Gophers resulted in Minnesota FOURTH best season in the NCAA Tournament era(since 1936).

Also, it should be noted, the guy who fired Tubby, Norwood Teague, subsequently was fired this past summer for sexual harassment(sweet hire, prez). Pitino has been absolutely atrocious since taking over. For being known for a recruiter, he really hasn't done jack shit until this upcoming 2016 class. We have a top 100 guy coming in, which is good for us. Pitino better show some type of improvement next season, or his ass better be canned, by whoever the hell the AD is going to be.

Pitino has done fine recruiting. It's his coaching that sucks complete ass.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His 2016 class looks to be good, and 2015 has Murphy, but not much else. Konate and Dhiedeu are wasted scholarships at this point. I really wish Jarvis Johnson didn't have a medical issue, I think he'd be our best PG, ahead of the three dumbasses.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well...

He's like Boeheim. He's a system guy. He's recruits the horses to fit his pressing system and just kind of has it on autopilot.

I wouldn't call him a bad X&Os guy, but not the best either.

I'll also think he's in reality, a pretty unscrupulous dude.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win for the Hawks. I'm hoping for a 5 seed instead of a 4 in the B10 tourney. Getting another win under our belt before the quarters should pretty much erase the losing streak in their minds. The 4 seed is fine too but I'd really like to get another win in before we hit the meat of the tourney. Either way we are going to avoid MSU which is good. I think if Iowa makes the semis they'll be a 5 seed in tourney worst case, maybe a 4. Anything better than that locks in a 4 and,even potentially a 3 if they win the tourney

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan was widely considered in before today, but with this debacle, it's much more in doubt. That was the type of "huge game" that sort of feels like a must-win, and if Michigan can't beat a struggling 6ish seed at home now, it's tough for the committee to give them another chance in two weeks.

Right now, they are probably heading for Dayton. With some upsets in the conference tourneys, that will denigrate into a tourney miss. They'll probably have to make the BTT semis to feel good and the BTT finals to feel like a lock.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan was widely considered in before today, but with this debacle, it's much more in doubt. That was the type of "huge game" that sort of feels like a must-win, and if Michigan can't beat a struggling 6ish seed at home now, it's tough for the committee to give them another chance in two weeks.

Right now, they are probably heading for Dayton. With some upsets in the conference tourneys, that will denigrate into a tourney miss. They'll probably have to make the BTT semis to feel good and the BTT finals to feel like a lock.
Tough call. I get your premise but I'm not sure the committee looks at how a team is playing when you beat/lose to them anymore ( I could be wrong ) a loss to Iowa isn't a bad loss but you could say a home loss to Iowa RIGHT NOW isn't good. That actually an interesting point because does a team that beat Indiana OOC not get cre d it because they weren't playing well then? Do MSU and Purdue get no love for beating Maryland because they've lost 3 of 4? I honestly don't know how that works. If Iowa rolls to the B10 finals does Mixhigan benefit from that? I know they used to look at how a team finished but I thought they got rid of that criteria

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough call. I get your premise but I'm not sure the committee looks at how a team is playing when you beat/lose to them anymore ( I could be wrong ) a loss to Iowa isn't a bad loss but you could say a home loss to Iowa RIGHT NOW isn't good. That actually an interesting point because does a team that beat Indiana OOC not get cre d it because they weren't playing well then? Do MSU and Purdue get no love for beating Maryland because they've lost 3 of 4? I honestly don't know how that works. If Iowa rolls to the B10 finals does Mixhigan benefit from that? I know they used to look at how a team finished but I thought they got rid of that criteria

I think this one matters because we know that the committee wants to pick bubble teams that are competitive. When a team on the bubble loses big, it makes people second guess the committee. When the team they pick goes on a run, like 2011 VCU, it makes them look good. We can hope that they only consider merit, but we all know it's in the back of their minds.

Michigan just had a game against the type of team they will play in the dance. The game is on their home court. The oponent is slumping as much as any 5-6 seed could be. Outside of one decent run in each half, the Wolverine were dominated. If I'm on that committee, I can't feel comfortable about Michigan.

And yes, I think teams should get more credit for beating a team when they are hot than when they are not. If a team goes from winning games by a few to losing close, it is not a big deal. But if a team gets better because players gain experience (like Us) or gets worse because of injury, it should be a large consideration.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the home teams win tomorrow how do seeds 3-6 breakout. Youd have 4 teams at 12-6. Anyone know how it'd look?

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the home teams win tomorrow how do seeds 3-6 breakout. Youd have 4 teams at 12-6. Anyone know how it'd look?

@BTNStatsGuys: Here's a look at teams' Big Ten tourney scenarios

1. Indiana (14-3)
Clinched #1 seed and double-bye

2. Michigan State (13-5)
Clinched #2 seed and double-bye

3. Wisconsin (12-5)
Clinches double-bye and #3 seed with win at Purdue
Clinches #6 seed with a loss
Range of seeds: 3 or 6

4. Maryland (12-5)
Clinched double-bye
Clinches #3 seed with Wisconsin loss
Clinches #4 seed if Wisconsin beats Purdue
Range of seeds: 3-4

5. Iowa (12-6)
Clinches double-bye and #4 seed with Maryland AND Purdue wins
Clinches #5 seed with any other results
Range of seeds: 4 or 5

6. Purdue (11-6)
Clinches double-bye and #4 seed with win vs Wisconsin + Maryland loss
Clinches #5 seed with win + Maryland win
Clinches #6 seed with loss
Range of seeds: 4-6

7. Ohio State (11-7)
Clinched #7 seed and single-bye

8. Michigan (10-8)
Clinched #8 seed and single-bye

9. Northwestern (7-10)
Will clinch #9 seed and single-bye with a win vs Nebraska
Can also clinch single-bye even with a loss if Penn State loses vs Illinois
Will not clinch a single-bye with a loss + Penn State win + Maryland loss + Wisconsin win
Range of seeds: 9-11

10. Penn State (6-11)
Will clinch single-bye with a win vs Illinois
Can clinch #9 seed with win vs Illinois + Northwestern loss vs Nebraska
Can clinch #10 seed with win + Northwestern win
Will clinch #12 seed with a loss
Range of seeds: 9-10, 12

11. Nebraska (6-11)
Will clinch single-bye with a win at Northwestern OR a Penn State loss vs Illinois
Can clinch #9 seed with win at Northwestern + Penn State loss + Wisconsin loss
Will clinch #10 seed with loss at Northwestern + Penn State loss
Guaranteed the #11 seed and opening on Wednesday with a loss + Penn State win
Range of seeds: 9-11

12. Illinois (5-12)
Will play on Wednesday no matter what.
Will clinch #11 seed with a win at Penn State
Will clinch #12 seed with a loss
Range of seeds: 11-12

13. Minnesota (2-16)
Clinched #13 seed

14. Rutgers (1-17)
Clinched #14 seed

- See more at: @BTNStatsGuys: Here's a look at teams' Big Ten tourney scenarios

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe this is how it is

So, if Maryland and Purdue (both home teams) win

3. Maryland
4. Purdue
5. Iowa
6. Wisconsin

If Maryland and Wisconsin win

3. Wisconsin
4. Maryland
5. Iowa
6. Purdue

If Indiana and Purdue win

3. Maryland
4. Purdue
5. Iowa
6. Wisconsin

If Indiana and Wisconsin (both visiting teams) win

3. Wisconsin
4. Iowa
5. Maryland
6. Purdue

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Northwestern wins

9. Northwestern
10. Penn State
11. Nebraska

If Nebraska

9. Penn State
10. Nebraska
11. Northwestern

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great way to end the half. Keep it up.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome regular season. Undefeated at home. Outright B1G championship. Need to heal up for a run in March.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome regular season. Undefeated at home. Outright B1G championship. Need to heal up for a run in March.
Great season for the Hoosiers. Hopefully we see you in the semis. First two games were great. I'd love to see round 3

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all seeds are locked other than 3,4,6. Purdue win leaves Maryland 3, Purdue 4, Wisky 6

Wisky win leaves them 3, Maryland 4 and Purdue 6

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Purdue, no way UW can compete while committing triple the TO's and fouls and some guy making 5 three pointers for your team.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This must be the best 3 pt shooting display for the season for Purdue with one guy going 5/6 and another guy is 3/3 and both are normally sub .400 shooters. Hopefully they cool off in the second half.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This must be the best 3 pt shooting display for the season for Purdue with one guy going 5/6 and another guy is 3/3 and both are normally sub .400 shooters. Hopefully they cool off in the second half.

Nobody was beating Purdue today. I don't know if they'll be able to do it outside of Mackey and with refs that are more aggressive on their big guy's pushing, but if they can, that team is a title threat.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdue is one of the toughest teams in the country when they shoot well. They would have been a legit title contender last year if they could make simple 15 foot open jumpers.