• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial all things Johnny Manziel related thread

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once the video goes viral (tonight or tomorrow), ESPN will loop it and they probably wont have to pay the broker's fees.

Brings me a question, if you any of you can answer it.

I have a video of Johnny Football signing autographs...CBS buys it for x amount and puts it on their website. Does ESPN have to pay CBS to put it on their website?

Or does buying the video make the buyer just as liable as the seller. The broker shot video of someone with out their knowledge and is trying to make money off of it. There are a lot of legal stuff surrounding this tape.

My guess is "Hey check out this video!" "He wants new rims!"
ESPN watches video...
"you better have something better than this if you want money."

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Similar situation to Cam.

Everyone knows or thinks they know but no one can prove it.
With all the pressure surrounding how NCAA Players are being exploited and all the people that make billions off them this might be what starts a rule change. If you can make money with your signature then more power to you.

They're not being exploited. Nobody is holding a gun to their head to sign a scholarship. If these players do not like the rules, don't sign on the dotted line to play college football, period. They are already receiving a $150K scholarship for free, they eat and are treated like kings, they have access to some of the best facilities in the nation, they stay in the best hotels when traveling and already receive those $100-$500 handshakes. What more do you want to give them? I like what Stanford's coach said the other day when the question was posed to him about paying college athletes and he flat out said no, b/c the universities are already giving them a way to make money (meaning free tuition, room, board, etc). It's the equivalent of telling your CEO that you should be making his kind of money b/c you have your degree, too. Why not pay the average student who isn't on scholarship to play football, but is just there to attend school? In the long run, that student will more than likely donate to the university's endowment and give back much more than your average football player will.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not being exploited. Nobody is holding a gun to their head to sign a scholarship. If these players do not like the rules, don't sign on the dotted line to play college football, period. They are already receiving a $150K scholarship for free, they eat and are treated like kings, they have access to some of the best facilities in the nation, they stay in the best hotels when traveling and already receive those $100-$500 handshakes. What more do you want to give them? I like what Stanford's coach said the other day when the question was posed to him about paying college athletes and he flat out said no, b/c the universities are already giving them a way to make money (meaning free tuition, room, board, etc). It's the equivalent of telling your CEO that you should be making his kind of money b/c you have your degree, too. Why not pay the average student who isn't on scholarship to play football, but is just there to attend school? In the long run, that student will more than likely donate to the university's endowment and give back much more than your average football player will.

Understand. However if it's your talent that earns the university it's $500 hand shakes, ticket sales, merch etc etc. and your constantly being hounded with merch brokers everywhere you go what's wrong with saying "Fuck you. Pay Me" to these brokers.

Hell, I'm 40, have a good career, and a fat bank account and if some come up to me and offers $7,500 to sign some shit I'll video myself doing it!

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
question is WHY would Manziel take money for autographs? He is from a very wealthy family. The dude drives a Benz, If he took the money, that means he did it, just to do it and dare the NCAA to find out.

He wanted new rims for his car..why he didn't ask his parents I know not

I can make it to the gate in 2.6 seconds... can you

BoSelecta

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HEAR HEAR

“Young athletes can spend hours perfecting their autograph, only to arrive in college and discover that the NCAA owns it. I’m just surprised the NCAA didn’t make Johnny Manziel sign a check made out to the NCAA. That’s basically what Manziel does every Saturday in the fall, anyway.” Michael Rosenberg - S.I.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't have him on video. A broker claims to have a video, showed it to one guy at ESPiN in an attempt to make money off of it. If it was such a damming video it would be looped all day on sports center and our broker could afford to move his merch stand a little closer to the food court.

University not covering up. They lawyered up. When the NCAA launches an investigation that would be a good idea.

Secret hotel location? :laugh3: come on hizzle, for one of the biggest haters even you can't buy into this horse hockey.

The broker tried to sell the vid to espn. Esp didn't buy it, that is y we haven't seen it go viral. Esp doesn't have rights to show it

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTHOtu:

1) It does not matter if the broker's did something wrong as well. It does not matter if this is a shakedown. All that matters, relevant to what we are talking about, is whether johnny hollywood knowingly broke a rule.

2) I understand that now that your beloved qb (even though he hates you guys) is in deep water - you don't like the rule prohibiting him from profiting off his signature. Again, so what? He doesn't get to play by whatever rules he wants just because he doesn't like it. That's the spoiled brat attitude that most people hate him for.

Just like it doesn't matter that I disagree with you on the rule. I was a college athlete, and obviously knew most of the other athletes. We all knew the rules and most follow them. Period. A college athlete on scholarship gets a free education, gets free training and use of facilities to play a sport they love, and gets a free job interview to potentially become a millionaire. I see no problem here. Internships happen in the real world all the time, and employees work for free with bigger and better goals in mind. In the NCAA guys are on a 3-4 year internship, but getting a free education in the process. Now that I've said all that - again - So What?

* He has broken the law on more than one occasion;
* He puts himself in the spotlight, and but hates the attention;
* He realizes he made some mistakes, but he is not going to change anything;
* He is enrolled at school, but he doesn't want to go to class;
* He is going to stop tweeting, but he still tweets;
* He is an aggie, but he goes to UT parties and he hates College Station;
* He knows the NCAA rules, but he doesn't want to follow them.

That about sum up your hero?

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because that average student is allowed to get an off-campus job to pay bills, buy clothes, take a girl out for a date etc... student athletes are not allowed to have a paying job to have extra money to do what I just mentioned. You may think football players like wearing their jersey around campus but in truth some probably do out of necessity.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) It does not matter if the broker's did something wrong as well. It does not matter if this is a shakedown. All that matters, relevant to what we are talking about, is whether johnny hollywood knowingly broke a rule.

2) I understand that now that your beloved qb (even though he hates you guys) is in deep water - you don't like the rule prohibiting him from profiting off his signature. Again, so what? He doesn't get to play by whatever rules he wants just because he doesn't like it. That's the spoiled brat attitude that most people hate him for.

Just like it doesn't matter that I disagree with you on the rule. I was a college athlete, and obviously knew most of the other athletes. We all knew the rules and most follow them. Period. A college athlete on scholarship gets a free education, gets free training and use of facilities to play a sport they love, and gets a free job interview to potentially become a millionaire. I see no problem here. Internships happen in the real world all the time, and employees work for free with bigger and better goals in mind. In the NCAA guys are on a 3-4 year internship, but getting a free education in the process. Now that I've said all that - again - So What?

* He has broken the law on more than one occasion;
* He puts himself in the spotlight, and but hates the attention;
* He realizes he made some mistakes, but he is not going to change anything;
* He is enrolled at school, but he doesn't want to go to class;
* He is going to stop tweeting, but he still tweets;
* He is an aggie, but he goes to UT parties and he hates College Station;
* He knows the NCAA rules, but he doesn't want to follow them.

That about sum up your hero?

Nope. Most of what you wrote is bull shit. But we understand how much Shizzle Licker hates A&M. You probably fap at every Johnny in trouble story.

But go ahead and suspend the dude. Can't stop him on the field might as well do it off. And we got some pretty decent QBs behind him and a soft schedule. A&M can get 9-10 wins with out him.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if this is a :badmin: ...but Colin Cowherd had some words about Manziel for a caller. I agree with some of the things me mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broker in talks with tmz to sell video

Last edited by a moderator:

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured TMZ would get it.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because that average student is allowed to get an off-campus job to pay bills, buy clothes, take a girl out for a date etc... student athletes are not allowed to have a paying job to have extra money to do what I just mentioned. You may think football players like wearing their jersey around campus but in truth some probably do out of necessity.

Actually students-athletes are allowed to have a paying job, they just need to work the hours at the job to earn the money.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that ESPN didn't buy the video is just stupid. Why not buy the video and exploit this? IF you want to break this story go ahead.

Question....Is the BAMA/TAMU game on ABC/ESPN or CBS? Because if it is on CBS is this an ESPN big ol FUCK YOU to CBS for their mega rating game?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Media outlets can only broadcast video where they have the rights. If TMZ buys the 'rights', it does not necessarily mean that they can allow others to broadcast the video. The broker could choose to allow TMZ to broadcast it, while keeping the control over other distribution.

ie: If a TV station buys a HD copy of Avatar, it does not give them the right to broadcast the movie.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that ESPN didn't buy the video is just stupid. Why not buy the video and exploit this? IF you want to break this story go ahead.

Question....Is the BAMA/TAMU game on ABC/ESPN or CBS? Because if it is on CBS is this an ESPN big ol FUCK YOU to CBS for their mega rating game?

The broker could be asking more than what ESPN is willing to pay.

That game was originally slotted for CBS, they own the SEC Tier 1 rights.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The broker could be asking more than what ESPN is willing to pay.

That game was originally slotted for CBS, they own the SEC Tier 1 rights.

ESPN broke this story, and it is seriously lacking meat without a video, that ESPN says they saw but wont broadcast. If they wanted to be serious about this whole thing, they spent the cash on the video.

Hell, they have the money, they make millions off college football games, use that money to exploit a player making revenue for himself.