• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2015 NBA Draft/Free Agency Thread

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodness, technically the guy is still a rookie. I'm sure when he plays a few games and sees he won't get much done without other moves he'll learn to adjust and develop a better game.
I can't believe that people are already bashing Randle. I'm not sure he even played a full game before getting injured...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
itll take some time for Russell- like the article said- he is a passer above all- and he does not exactly have NBA talent playing with him in summer league to get open and finish his passes.

Okafor was the most polished player in the draft- even over Towns. I would not be surprised if he had some early success numbers wise- but overall I do not see Okafor being an all star talent. He is soft defensively, and could be more athletic.

Russell might take a little time to get there- especially being a pass-first guy that is going to be expected to play with extremely high usage players like Kobe, Lou and Nick Young....but Russell will be an all star 2-3 years down the line and you will be glad you took him.

I like Randle at Kentucky a lot- and would have taken him over Aaron Gordon who went earlier to the Magic in that draft- but to a certain extent Randle is a little bit of a project. I like Hibbert playing with him defensively since itll protect Randle in a big way--- but the article above was right in that Randle wont have any favors done ot him by Hibbert on the offensive end where opposing 4's and 5's will pack the center because both Hibbert and Randle struggle to hit the mid range shot.

I really believe that Randle will be a very solid starting level NBA power forward- but his game is very raw. His athletic ability and instincts are great- but he needs to do a lot of stuff - develop a reliable jumper (and ideally- EVENTUALLY- develop a 3ball game like Sullinger in Boston has), develop a right hand and some post moves, get his defense together.

Agree on pretty much all of this. I posted on the Lakers board that being a rookie point guard in the NBA, is a lot like being a rookie quarterback in the NFL. A guy who is open in college football is covered in the NFL. Like a rookie qb, Russell will need to learn to make the pass a split second earlier and the difference between open and covered at that level. Also, his teammates need to get used to the fact that he sees the floor differently and they need to have their hands ready at all times. Magic went through some of the same things his rookie year. Not saying that Russell will be that good, but there are similarities in how he sees the floor.

Randle has been working on the other parts of his game (mid range shot, going to his right more), but in summer league action, he's reverted back to what worked in college. It'll take time for him to trust the rest of his game.

Overall, they need work and time to develop. Fortunately, the Lakers are willing to be patient with them.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe that people are already bashing Randle. I'm not sure he even played a full game before getting injured...
Yea he played 15 minutes, I believe, before he broke his leg. Tough break for him and the Lakers. But, Blake had a very similar "first year" in relation to getting hurt and sitting the majority of his rookie year and he came back strong. I think Randle can do the same. If he works hard and continues to develop his game he will get where he wants to be in terms of his overall game.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as people hate on Josh Smith. It is actually a huge signing for the Clippers. Not sure why he went from the Rockets to Clippers, wasnt he starting in Houston? But anyway the Clippers now have some really good depth, probably just need another big man to sign and they are looking like contenders in the West possibly.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clippers actually have a solid bench unless they trade Crawford.....not deep but they have 3 really good players on their bench

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Smith "I chose WINNING over money." as to why he turned down twice as much money from Houston.

Apparently this mensa candidate somehow forgot that Houston finished as the #2 seed (ahead of Clippers) and actually beat the #3 Clippers in the 2nd round.

Jordan + Stephenson + Smith + Big Baby = most entertaining collection of mental midgets, clown college graduates, and clubhouse cancers all on one team

Please let them sign Metta World Peace and Stephen Jackson out of retirement.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clippers are really good. I think you gotta put them up with San Antonio , GSW and OKC at this point

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take a dissenting opinion.

Josh Smith is literally the worst possible fit for the Clippers.
He would have fit far better with teams like Houston, Dallas, or GS.

The Clips need a big man who can spell Jordan AND a bigman to hit free throws when hack-a-Jordan happens.
Smith doesnt play center, and hack-a-Smoov is even worse than hack-a-Jordan.
There is literally no sane way any coach can risk both of them on the floor at the same time.

They also need a true small forward when the bigs are out there unless PP can play 40+ minutes.
They only have 37 year old Pierce, and a bunch of shooting guards.

Smith basically destroyed his career playing SF next to the big men in Detroit.
He was HORRIFIC in that role. He cannot play SF with 2 other big men. It was a mitigated disaster for him.

The only niche he is good at is being a "roving 4" without big men clogging the lane.
And he is reasonably decent defender.
That is Golden State to a tee...and even Houston/Dallas style.

He could not have picked a worse team for his skills.

But, I guess he is a warm body and its only the league minimum.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Smith "I chose WINNING over money." as to why he turned down twice as much money from Houston.

Apparently this mensa candidate somehow forgot that Houston finished as the #2 seed (ahead of Clippers) and actually beat the #3 Clippers in the 2nd round.

Jordan + Stephenson + Smith + Big Baby = most entertaining collection of mental midgets, clown college graduates, and clubhouse cancers all on one team

Please let them sign Metta World Peace and Stephen Jackson out of retirement.

Outside of Josh in Detroit, when was any of the other 3 ever a clubhouse cancer? Not being a fit for the team doesn't make you a cancer. Also Big Baby is no longer on the team. Say what you want about the Clips because I know how much you hate them, they improved their roster this summer. They're a better team than they were in May

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

talking about possible targets for Dallas- explained whitesides contract situation

Hassan Whiteside
Current team: Miami Heat
Free-agent status: Unrestricted in 2016
2014-15 salary: $769,881

This might be Dallas' best shot. Whiteside is relatively young (27 next summer), with low mileage and excellent athleticism. He was a bright spot for Miami this past season as a rebounder, shot blocker and above-the-rim finisher, and obviously the Heat will make a strong push to retain his services.

Here's the catch: because Miami gave Whiteside a non-guaranteed deal in 2015-16 as opposed to a team option, it puts them in an uncomfortable situation cap-wise. He'll have Early Bird rights, which means two things: Miami can only offer four years (same as any other team), and can only offer the greater of 175 percent of his previous salary or what the CBA calls "average salary" -- estimated to be $5.7 million next summer -- unless they use cap space. With Dwyane Wade's massive cap hold/desire for another deal, and the Heat's plan to pursue another superstar free agent, it will take some interesting cap mechanics and quick decisions for Miami to use their cap space to sign Whiteside to a market value deal.

So how would a team option have changed things? They could have declined the option, making Whiteside a restricted free agent, allowing them to match any offer sheet. As it is, Dallas can poach Whiteside by making an aggressive offer at 12:01 a.m. ET on July 1, 2016.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this description of McGee is pretty hilarious---- again- this is looking at Dallas' options this year and next to replace them losing Jordan-

A year ago, Whiteside was toxic just like these two players, with a reputation for unreliability, hubris and a poor work ethic, so we'd be remiss to exclude them from this list. McGee more similarly resembles Whiteside as a player who just hasn't been serious about his NBA career. Despite his obvious athletic gifts and talents, McGee's basketball IQ is probably bottom five for his position. He's not a good defensive rebounder, and while he can be a stellar shot-blocker, seven years into his career I'm still not sure he truly understands the goaltending rule. Still, he'd probably come cheap, and perhaps basketball mortality (not to mention the prospect of not having a check next summer after his four-year deal, since bought out by the Sixers, expires) will give him the impetus to focus. The Mavs have interviewed McGee, sources tell ESPN's Marc Stein, and if he can allay concerns about his long-term health McGee could be a fit.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Green's deal reportedly has been dropped to $10 mill a year. Spurs are becoming public enemy #1 to the players union.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this description of McGee is pretty hilarious---- again- this is looking at Dallas' options this year and next to replace them losing Jordan-

A year ago, Whiteside was toxic just like these two players, with a reputation for unreliability, hubris and a poor work ethic, so we'd be remiss to exclude them from this list. McGee more similarly resembles Whiteside as a player who just hasn't been serious about his NBA career. Despite his obvious athletic gifts and talents, McGee's basketball IQ is probably bottom five for his position. He's not a good defensive rebounder, and while he can be a stellar shot-blocker, seven years into his career I'm still not sure he truly understands the goaltending rule. Still, he'd probably come cheap, and perhaps basketball mortality (not to mention the prospect of not having a check next summer after his four-year deal, since bought out by the Sixers, expires) will give him the impetus to focus. The Mavs have interviewed McGee, sources tell ESPN's Marc Stein, and if he can allay concerns about his long-term health McGee could be a fit.

More fallout from how DeAndre Jordan handled his FA. Hopefully, the NBA will take a long, careful look at the rules re: FA.

The problem is, how do they allow a player the chance to change his mind if he feels he made his decision too quickly, without putting a team in the situation that the Mavs now find themselves?

They went from having one of the most coveted FA's, to scraping the bottom of the barrel for a Shaqtin' a Fool regular like Javale McGee and hoping that he's finally developed something that resembles an adult level brain.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as people hate on Josh Smith. It is actually a huge signing for the Clippers. Not sure why he went from the Rockets to Clippers, wasnt he starting in Houston? But anyway the Clippers now have some really good depth, probably just need another big man to sign and they are looking like contenders in the West possibly.

He's a strong finisher around the rim and still a very productive defender. I just hope he doesn't let Game 6 get to his head, he has enough reasons NOT to hang around the 3pt line. If they can get him to embrace coming off the bench like he did in Houston, Clippers will be formidable. They can go big with DeAndre Jordan or play small ball with Griffin at the 5 and Smith at the 4. Good pickup by Doc. Much better moves this season.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Green's deal reportedly has been dropped to $10 mill a year. Spurs are becoming public enemy #1 to the players union.

It is definitely easier to get a better group of guys when you ask players to take less or they are willing to, just like the Big 3 on Miami. It's even crazier that a guy would take the minimum instead of 10+ mil. The Spurs kudos to them but it seems like everyone will take a paycut to get Timmy another ring.

Say what you want about the Cavs about "buying" a championship but Gilbert is gonna have a hefty tax, if only he could get players to take a cut, they only want raises LOL

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is definitely easier to get a better group of guys when you ask players to take less or they are willing to, just like the Big 3 on Miami. It's even crazier that a guy would take the minimum instead of 10+ mil. The Spurs kudos to them but it seems like everyone will take a paycut to get Timmy another ring.

Say what you want about the Cavs about "buying" a championship but Gilbert is gonna have a hefty tax, if only he could get players to take a cut, they only want raises LOL
I remember Danny Green being on the Cavs- I believe we either drafted him in the 2nd round or picked him up as an undrafted free agent. I cant remember. Good for him becoming what he has become. He obviously understands that things could have gone a lot differently without the Spurs and Pop- and getting 40M sets him up for good- and he is still young enough to get one more big contract if he continues to improve.

As for the Cavs- guys are getting paid- but lets see next summer how things shake out. I think next summer is going to be ridiculous- and guys like Shumpert getting 10mwill seem very very reasonable.

I wonder how long the Cavs go with Thompson.....I gotta believe they get something done- but if Thompson wants a full 5 year max I dont think he is getting it. The mosta competitor can offer is the 4 year 70M that Kanter got.

IDEALLY- considering the circumstance and how the Cavs cant replace Thompson if he leaves since they are already over the lux tax line, how well he performed in the playoffs, the market that other bigs have set (like Robin Lopez getting 13.5 a year- Kanter getting 17.5 a year etc...... :

I think that Thompson will end up signing for about 16M a season. IF he gets a 5 year 80 million dollar deal- that puts him at 16M a season- in between Lopez and Kanter- probably about where he should be considering the circumstances

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why are the Lakers interested in Lawson? They have Russell and Clarkson, maybe as a trading option idk

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the playoffs Thompson averaged about 10 points and 11 rebounds in 20 games -15 being starts. He played solid defense- and showed great versatility.

The kid never gets hurt- as evidenced by playing in the 2nd most consecutive games in the entire league- and he never gets tired- as we saw how many of his offensive rebounds came at very clutch times towards the end of games.

He is only 24 years old and he keeps on improving. He was drafted so high in part because he has a great work ethic, is developing into a leader, and is a great teammate who only cares about contributing to the team winning at the expense of his own stats. He NEVER has plays run for him and went to the bench with no complaints when Love was signed- but- both in the playoffs and the regular season- Thompson played down the stretch in the 4th quarter during clutchtime because of his defensive versatility, rebounding, energy, and unselfishness.

Lets hope they get him tied up soon.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why are the Lakers interested in Lawson? They have Russell and Clarkson, maybe as a trading option idk
maybe Cousins is still on the table.

If they dealt Russell for Cousins and some how got Lawson in the deal- I think -as much as I like Russell it would be hard to say NO to adding 2 all star caliber talents like Lawson and Cousins- especially since it would give Kobe a chance to do something in his last year(s).

Small forward is still a huge hole for the Lakers. Its such a hard position to fill in todays NBA.

A Lawson/Kobe back court- and a Randle/Hibbert/Cousins front court is pretty darn good- but that SF is killing them- plus- I think the Lakers desperately need to add some 3 pt shooting and some additional young legs to the roster. Its a 3pt shooting and spacing league right now- and especially if you add Cousins you need more spacing.

Of course this is all just conjecture- but who knows. I doubt any of it happens.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sort of a head-scratcher. The preliminary reasoning is he is in his prime and would be a good on-the-court influence on Clarkson and Russell to help facilitate their development. But Lawson apparently has off-the-court issues with alcohol and that could be not good. If the Lakers are looking for a positive influence, they already have that in Steve Nash who is becoming more and more a coach as he'll be working with Russell and Clarkson this summer.