• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial "2014 NFL Draft" Thread

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he won't!

Actually this is a concern of some scouts. It's not so much his height as how much abuse he'd take from the constant pounding. He's not built like Big Ben or some of the other mobile QB's.

He also tends to make bad choices when you pressure him, and some say he lacks the maturity to be a starting QB right away.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he won't!

Ok ok your a A&.M fan and probably watch eveyr game and see your a Texans fan. I have no dog in this fight, so good luck in who you guys draft and to Manziel

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think he is NFL ready at all. The good sign with Mettenberger is that he has improved every year as a QB. Thats what you want to see. He should sit a year before playing because of the injury and because he might be far away from his potential.

The word is as you said he has improved every year, and they implemented a new offense last year which he picked up quickly more quickly than coaches thought. And it's said he reads defense really well. You do not re build from last to first in one year. If the Texans are building for the future take Clowney and do what you have to get Mettenberger. Bridgewater played in the AAC not sure dominating in that conference translates well to the NFL. JMHO

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney concerns me. Something about him makes me think he's going to be one of these guys whom has monster year come contract time and then disappears once he gets paid.

Rookie QBs always concern me. Are we getting Peyton Manning? Or are we getting David Carr? Been there. Done that.

Personally, I hope they find some sucker who is absolutely so in love with one player that they are willing to give us their entire draft for the #1 pick.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney concerns me. Something about him makes me think he's going to be one of these guys whom has monster year come contract time and then disappears once he gets paid.

Rookie QBs always concern me. Are we getting Peyton Manning? Or are we getting David Carr? Been there. Done that.

Personally, I hope they find some sucker who is absolutely so in love with one player that they are willing to give us their entire draft for the #1 pick.

For the most part all dratees are a crap shoot what you see in college does not always translate unless as you eluded to there is a Manning type out there. I don't know of one person less all the people here in Gainseville Florida that questioned Manning.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part all dratees are a crap shoot what you see in college does not always translate unless as you eluded to there is a Manning type out there. I don't know of one person less all the people here in Gainseville Florida that questioned Manning.

That is the only for sure thing we know about the draft. Is that we really don't know shit.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually this is a concern of some scouts. It's not so much his height as how much abuse he'd take from the constant pounding. He's not built like Big Ben or some of the other mobile QB's.

He also tends to make bad choices when you pressure him, and some say he lacks the maturity to be a starting QB right away.

He took alot of abuse in the SEC this year playing with injuries. Most QB's do make bad choices when they get pressured that's not new.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@cdumler7

QB...I'd be lying if I said I've seen Bortles play even once, and I've only seen Bridgewater a couple of times and the same thing with Luck and RG3. I'm not a huge CFB guy. Bridgewater is only a few notches below the rating that Scouts gave RG3 and a handful down from Luck's grade.

This year Scouts grades Clowney 96 and Bridgewater 92...if Bridgewater's grade was an 88...there is a big enough talent gap where BPA makes the most sense to me...in this case Clowney is higher graded, but you need a QB and he grade is only a few notches below the #1 grade.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you just brought up two reasons why you won't get a king's ranson for #1

There is no Andrew Luck in this draft and Clowney is not Ndamukong Suh...ATL definitely wants/needs Clowney, but the owner wants protection for Matt Ryan...also with Barr and Mack on the board they can still get a pass rusher @ 6...I don't think they will go more than 1/6 and 4/99 for #1 overall.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney is not Ndamukong Suh..
Thats a compliment, right? If Clowney and Suh were in the same draft, the DE is getting picked. I think Ive heard a scout suggest that Clowney's upside is the highest he has seen in a defensive player since Lawrence Taylor.

The only top pick you can't pick apart is Bortles which is why he'll probably go #1. Clowney going #2 seems likely

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a chance they have to trade up into the late 1st but with the way the NFL is set up these days it doesn't cost a whole lot. It definitely would be a calculated risk to wait and my guess is they don't and just go ahead and get a quarterback. Most new Head Coaches like to get a quarterback as it is the most important position on the field plus usually gives them a little longer window by ownership to build the team and let the quarterback grow.

There you go...O'Brien is an OFC guy...most likely they will let him start fresh with a QB.

You make good points...I really like Mettenberg's potential and I'd be tempted to trade down to 6 if ATL would part with their 3/68 pick and I would still do it for 4/99.

Then @ 6 I would take either DE Mack, or OT Robinson, and pickup Mettenberg 2/33.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats a compliment, right? If Clowney and Suh were in the same draft, the DE is getting picked. I think Ive heard a scout suggest that Clowney's upside is the highest he has seen in a defensive player since Lawrence Taylor.

The only top pick you can't pick apart is Bortles which is why he'll probably go #1. Clowney going #2 seems likely

You're right...the DE is always going to trump a DT, but in terms of talent...Clowney has a higher potential to bust imo than Suh did, and I like Clowney.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took alot of abuse in the SEC this year playing with injuries. Most QB's do make bad choices when they get pressured that's not new.

There's a difference between being hit by a LB in college and being nailed by a LB in the pros. About fifty pounds.

Fortunately the division blows defensively, save the Texans. Unfortunately he'll still have to play games outside the division.

If he were more of a pocket passer he could drop the ground in the fetal position like Tom Brady does, the problem is he's not that kind of QB.

He's more the Big Ben type - only Big Ben can take some hits - and avoid some sacks - just due to his size. He's 250 pounds.

His speed will help him for a while but it wont last forever.

All QB's make mistakes when pressured, true. Some tend to throw it away more than others. Part of his success early on will hinge upon this.

And yes, he might....MIGHT....lack the maturity to be a starting QB right off the bat. Taking money for autographs prove that. It's a small infraction but what it showed is that he put himself ahead of the team. He knew it was wrong and he knew people would find out and he did it anyway. That smacks of immaturity.

These are reasons why the drafting guys say the Texans might go with another QB. There are rumors he might fall out of the first.

Then again the Texans could grab him up with the #1 pick.

"There is no bigger crap shoot than the NFL draft" - Jim Rome.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey I am getting really bogged down at work. I dont know that I will be able to committ the necessary time to this that it deserves. Do we have another Packer fan to substitute?

sorry about my post in the other thread...I realized it too late.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have a feeling they go with my boy Johnny Football. Think he'll fit in well with that offensive right off the bat.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have a feeling they go with my boy Johnny Football. Think he'll fit in well with that offensive right off the bat.

And, as I said, I can't argue that choice. It would sure as hell shake things up if nothing else. When you look at the success of guys like RGIII and Kaep and what they can do with their legs - it could be huge. It would take some heat off Foster. Yes?

I can also see them taking Clowney as well.