• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOffical all things Sterling thread

Do you agree with Jabbar

• Yes I agree

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No I dont agree

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Scorpion14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article 35 provides enough that the commissioner can direct Sterling's dismissal, but more important the team will be paralyzed if the NBA does not schedule any games for them in the next season - Sterling would not be able to force them to schedule games

That would never happen because the players union would not allow it. They will not allow you to remove players form rosters that now won't get an NBA paycheck.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It don't matter if they try to force him to sell, HE DOESN'T HAVE TO. His franchise will just be kicked out the league. NBA is like any other business. If you make the business look bad, you get kicked out. Why is this a surprise to people?

I don't know, but it sounds like to me they have had zero exposure in the real business world. It would be like if all of us formed a club and then ejected one us out for not being a good member. McDonalds does the same thing - I have audited franchise owners with 20 locations in their area, but if they violate the franchise rules - they lose their franchise rights. In this case Sterling would lose his rights to play as a NBA team. There was until a few years ago a cheap version of the ABA or the D League that he could go to - but without the full support of the NBA - Sterling is screwed. It's that simple. My guess is that he will sell before that happens just like Frank McCourt Sold.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would never happen because the players union would not allow it. They will not allow you to remove players form rosters that now won't get an NBA paycheck.

You haven't seen the latest o ESPN -The NBPLA has already stated that they were prepared to bocott all of the games period and the players spoke to Silver and agreed to honor their contracts if Sterling was out for good. The NBPA was prepared to take action

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It don't matter if they try to force him to sell, HE DOESN'T HAVE TO. His franchise will just be kicked out the league. NBA is like any other business. If you make the business look bad, you get kicked out. Why is this a surprise to people?

I don't know how to make it any clearer. The fact that you think it's a surprise is humorous. Who said it was a big shocker? It was handled improperly. There was no chance for recourse offered. The media outrage was so loud that the player outrage intensified 10 fold. I even heard a few analyst admit as much; that it had become such a media storm that something HAD to be done now and it HAD to be severe. Who's running the show? That's right, the court of public opinion who are driven into a frenzy by entities that profit off sensationalism. Ugh, whatever, you guys have fun with this "debate."

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, but it sounds like to me they have had zero exposure in the real business world. It would be like if all of us formed a club and then ejected one us out for not being a good member. McDonalds does the same thing - I have audited franchise owners with 20 locations in their area, but if they violate the franchise rules - they lose their franchise rights. In this case Sterling would lose his rights to play as a NBA team. There was until a few years ago a cheap version of the ABA or the D League that he could go to - but without the full support of the NBA - Sterling is screwed. It's that simple. My guess is that he will sell before that happens just like Frank McCourt Sold.

If you had contractually guaranteed membership and only certain criteria allowed you to cancel it, they would sue you and win if you acted outside those criteria.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article 35 provides enough that the commissioner can direct Sterling's dismissal, but more important the team will be paralyzed if the NBA does not schedule any games for them in the next season - Sterling would not be able to force them to schedule games

So apparently we've entered the world of ridiculous arguing whether or not banning him for life and calling on him to sell the club in less than a week based on an illegally taped conversation that was leaked was a wise decision. He obviously should have suspended him indefinitely so an ownership group could be put together and this could be handled a little more gracefully than it has been. MLB or the NFL wouldn't have handled it this way because they aren't afraid of their own players. NBA players threaten to walk out during the most important time of the year because their boss is a jackass. Like I said before, the NBA and Sterling deserve each other.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meantime, Dallas Cowboy fans are searching archives begging to find something ... anything ... racist said by Jerry Jones.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was handled correctly y'all - and it was on target. So far the owners are lining up behind Silver to remove Sterling - This is not going to be dragged out like the McCourt-Dodgers Fiasco was

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had contractually guaranteed membership and only certain criteria allowed you to cancel it, they would sue you and win if you acted outside those criteria.

Contracts can be broken and are broken easily - just ask Utah and Derek Fisher

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently we've entered the world of ridiculous arguing whether or not banning him for life and calling on him to sell the club in less than a week based on an illegally taped conversation that was leaked was a wise decision. He obviously should have suspended him indefinitely so an ownership group could be put together and this could be handled a little more gracefully than it has been. MLB or the NFL wouldn't have handled it this way because they aren't afraid of their own players. NBA players threaten to walk out during the most important time of the year because their boss is a jackass. Like I said before, the NBA and Sterling deserve each other.

The conversations were legally recorded by Stiviano on behalf of Mr Sterling. She was his archivist and has over 100 hours of recordings. Sterling often forgets what he says(most like because he is senile) and was using them to review what he said.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you mutually agree you can alter the contract at will.

If one side breaches the contract in a business as big as the NBA? We could be talking a billion in damages fairly easily.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still want to know why no one cares that Jay Z is a wannabe 5 percenter?

Can someone define the line, of what is acceptable and unacceptable? Is Jay Z's promotion of the Five Percent Nation acceptable behavior? They advocate that all white men are devils?

Punishment was due to Sterling...were they trying to set a precedent? No doubt.

I'm fine with the punishment, as long as its universal and applies to all, regardless of race.

Being black does not give you a pass on racism. The hatred of the white man doesn't help, only perpetuates inequality.