• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

to the cap guru's

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of questions on how the cap works.
I think we have to be under the cap by a certain date.
So if true. How do they treat an incentive clad contract against the cap?
Do they charge the max the contract can be to the cap for that year, or do they start out on a lesser #? How exactly does that work? Anyone know?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they charge the max the contract can be to the cap for that year, or do they start out on a lesser #? How exactly does that work? Anyone know?

we had to be under the cap as of March 11th, which we were. i think we have to stay under the cap now

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We were under the cap by the start of this season.

As far as contracts go they are treated as if all incentives will be meant. Then if not whatever money the player didn't get carries over and is added to the following season's salary cap

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were under the cap by the start of this season.

As far as contracts go they are treated as if all incentives will be meant. Then if not whatever money the player didn't get carries over and is added to the following season's salary cap

thanks!

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys signed Melton believing he can get back to being the player who accumulated seven sacks in 2011 and six sacks in 2012, but the unique contract Melton signed gives the team some protection. Melton, who’s from the Dallas area and went to high school in nearby Grapevine, Texas, will only count $2.75 million against the cap with a $1.25 base salary in 2014 and can earn up to $5 million this year. :scratch:

there is no guaranteed money in year 1, & the cap hit isn't at the base salary or the max #. :noidea:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys signed Melton believing he can get back to being the player who accumulated seven sacks in 2011 and six sacks in 2012, but the unique contract Melton signed gives the team some protection. Melton, who’s from the Dallas area and went to high school in nearby Grapevine, Texas, will only count $2.75 million against the cap with a $1.25 base salary in 2014 and can earn up to $5 million this year. :scratch:

there is no guaranteed money in year 1, & the cap hit isn't at the base salary or the max #. :noidea:

It looks like year is an incentive based contract. Odds are the incentives are games played.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I posted the link to his contract on the we signed Melton topic

His contract is week to week

Basically 300,000 a game .... which isn't guaranteed. It's gonna matter how many snaps he takes( Which you know he wont take every snap anyway)

But I'd like to see the link where you got that from

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The details will be out soon prolly tomorrow or the next day.

Thing is "Can earn 5 million"

But you cant steal money from next year to pay this year....... So that doesn't make sense

You do however have roll over money now ... which what you dont spend this year carries over to next

So Imma stick with what I said .... written down he might not count 5 million .... but if he could .... you cant spend that "could" money on another player

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The details will be out soon prolly tomorrow or the next day.

Thing is "Can earn 5 million"

But you cant steal money from next year to pay this year....... So that doesn't make sense

You do however have roll over money now ... which what you dont spend this year carries over to next

So Imma stick with what I said .... written down he might not count 5 million .... but if he could .... you cant spend that "could" money on another player

yeah that made sense to me. then I read that article. Glad I am not one trying to figure out the cap LOL.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah that made sense to me. then I read that article. Glad I am not one trying to figure out the cap LOL.

You will see alot on here that dont even follow cowboys.com

That's a homer site where almost everything has a positive

Wait a few days and see the details

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will see alot on here that dont even follow cowboys.com

That's a homer site where almost everything has a positive

Wait a few days and see the details

you're right twist. It's still the best contract jerry has put in front of a meaningful FA in a very long time. Melton is going to have a great season and be up right for 16 games to get paid.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're right twist. It's still the best contract jerry has put in front of a meaningful FA in a very long time. Melton is going to have a great season and be up right for 16 games to get paid.

I think so to.

Those "prove contracts" almost never backfire

And to give Jerry credit .... He didn't make the Hamlin mistake again ... 1 year then big contract ....

Contract is already a COWBOYS OPTION not a Melton option

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly, incentives that are likely to be met are counted against the cap. Incentives that are not likely to be met are not.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly, incentives that are likely to be met are counted against the cap. Incentives that are not likely to be met are not.

You might be right

I dont think so but might be

If he meets them ........ You cant excede the cap to pay them .... So thats my thing.... You cant borrow from next year .... Or alot of fucking teams would

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we still need to wait for the specifics, but I doubt it is a straight one year contract like on Spotrac. His agent wouldn't have said up to $5M if that was the case. So i bet there is more to it than that. Regardless this seems like a good one for us. Heck, I wouldn't really mind if it was a one year contract for $5M and it was all guaranteed, so pretty much no way I'm not going to like it...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right

I dont think so but might be

If he meets them ........ You cant excede the cap to pay them .... So thats my thing.... You cant borrow from next year .... Or alot of fucking teams would

I can't remember exactly how it works, but I remember hearing something about the likely to be met incentives. Who decides if its likely to be met, i have no clue. I was trying to think about how it would work if you meet it and it wasn't "likely". I guess you need to cut someone before you pay it if you are near the cap? But, what if it is met in the SB and you are capped out? So I'm not sure exactly how it works.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember exactly how it works, but I remember hearing something about the likely to be met incentives. Who decides if its likely to be met, i have no clue. I was trying to think about how it would work if you meet it and it wasn't "likely". I guess you need to cut someone before you pay it if you are near the cap? But, what if it is met in the SB and you are capped out? So I'm not sure exactly how it works.

yeah that's my way of thinking .... how exactly would you work that .... especially if playoffs and beyond are involved.

The way I read it they are counted .... and then if not met .... it rolls over to the next year

Hell if we all understood the cap ... most of us would never argue :suds: