• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Timmay loves facebook lol

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facebook may be public domain, but it's still his personal life. Kind of like the route you choose to get from point A to point B. It's your decision, but you're doing it in a public space.

And why do we expect our athletes to focus only on their sport? Is that really fair? I know they get paid a lot of money, but they're still people, who have other things on their minds.

When I go home from work, I go home from work, and I don't think it's healthy for athletes to do anything but the same.

I understand your point, but I think it's different when someone is a public figure. Public figures are held to a different standard in our society, both in general practice and from a legal perspective.

If I spout off on my Facebook or Twitter about something, I have no obligation to defend my point of view because I'm some random guy, not an award winning professional athlete, famous actor, musician, politician, etc.

He's welcome to think and believe what he wants and say what he wants, but with his profile, I think he also needs to be prepared to defend what he says.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I go home from work, I go home from work, and I don't think it's healthy for athletes to do anything but the same.

That's a valid point. But then again, you probably don't have "fans" all over and media clamoring for your every word. You are not in a position where everything you say is spread about all over the planet.

I think this is a clear case of proving the old axiom "Discretion is the better part of valor".

Freedom of speech does not guarantee you an audience. When you have one by default, you should be a little more careful as to what you give them.

Because NO ONE ever takes things the wrong way or tries to twist the words of others for personal gain, right?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your point, but I think it's different when someone is a public figure. Public figures are held to a different standard in our society, both in general practice and from a legal perspective.

If I spout off on my Facebook or Twitter about something, I have no obligation to defend my point of view because I'm some random guy, not an award winning professional athlete, famous actor, musician, politician, etc.

He's welcome to think and believe what he wants and say what he wants, but with his profile, I think he also needs to be prepared to defend what he says.

But why? Because he's good at something? We made him a public figure. He's just doing what he's good at for a living.

I just don't understand why we hold athletes to this other standard.

But I still think Timmy needs to settle down, just because the team isn't playing as well right now. This is more general..

And besides this, J.D. Salinger wrote an awfully prodding novel, then didn't grant an interview for 20 years, so...

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facebook may be public domain, but it's still his personal life. Kind of like the route you choose to get from point A to point B. It's your decision, but you're doing it in a public space.

And why do we expect our athletes to focus only on their sport? Is that really fair? I know they get paid a lot of money, but they're still people, who have other things on their minds.

i dont think it's that unfair. at least 75% of the country would keep their mouth shut and focus only on their trade if it meant they were blessed with the skill and determination to be a professional athlete..

i dont think it's fair that athletes can permanently 'go home' from their job at 35 and live more extravagently than i can even if i work til i'm 80

if he wants to take up a political career and use his fame to voice his opinions, do it after hockey, when you're not a team that's supposed to be focused on 1 thing, and that thing is not answering questions about a teammate that is preaching his ideals to the public

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why? Because he's good at something? We made him a public figure. He's just doing what he's good at for a living.

But I still think Timmy needs to settle down, just because the team isn't playing as well right now. This is more general..

And besides this, J.D. Salinger wrote an awfully prodding novel, then didn't grant an interview for 20 years, so...

Again, I see your point, but I disagree. He made himself a public figure by choosing to pursue hockey as a career. Nobody forced him to be a great hockey player, but he could have chosen to do something else instead (glad he didn't obviously though).

And it's not just athletes that we hold to a higher standard. Right or wrong, when they have a public forum to speak to a large audience, they're held to a different standard. It's the same reason why people get worked up when a celebrity endorses a politician. We shouldn't care, but society gives them that platform.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether the media and fans should pay so much attention to celebrity comments and opinions is kind if irrelevant to me. I feel the same way about that viewpoint as I did when he skipped the White House celebration.
Timmy knows the attention his public comments and choices are going to get and he is choosing to make them to get the attention. Claiming otherwise or blaming the media is disingenuous.

Should public figures opinions get so much attention? Probably not. However this is nothing new so feigning shock at the attention this is getting is silly.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

put it this way:
say you, an average Joe, make some controversial claim on facebook, and I asked you more details about it.
If you respond with "I'm not saying anymore about it, it's personal.", I'd think you were an asshole, too.

but again, that's secondary to his actions taking away from the team unity.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
put it this way:
say you, an average Joe, make some controversial claim on facebook, and I asked you more details about it.
If you respond with "I'm not saying anymore about it, it's personal.", I'd think you were an asshole, too.

but again, that's secondary to his actions taking away from the team unity.

My point is essentially that it's our fault athletes are in the spotlight. That's the way of things now, sure, but we, the fans, made it that way in the first place.

Oh, and I'm not going to trust very many athletes' and celebrities' opinions, unless they're famous for being, you know, smart.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is essentially that it's our fault athletes are in the spotlight. That's the way of things now, sure, but we, the fans, made it that way in the first place.

Oh, and I'm not going to trust very many athletes' and celebrities' opinions, unless they're famous for being, you know, smart.

?

Don't blame me for something I ain't doing. :rolleyes:

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thread is tl;dr, but...

I actually agree with Timmy... somewhat. This is absolutely not "religious persecution", but if Catholics don't believe in birth control, then the government should amend the bill to exclude Catholics. I agree with that.

But calling it religious prosecution is ridiculous.

And using the famous poem about the Nazis... :facepalm: seriously Timmy? Dude. I mean, DUDE.

Look, you all know I'm a Michigan hockey homer, any player from Michigan is the greatest, if they played college hockey in state they are a god, blah blah blah... and Thomas is the ultimate little engine that could, the Rudy with skill, but come on...

You cannot in any way relate a health care bill to the fucking Nazis. Unless said bill contains provisions that exclude those not of Aryan descent, you cannot compare that shit to Nazis!

What's next, comparing restricted free agency to slavery?

I'm blown away by the stupidity of his choice.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I learned last night that FDR was all about fascism and Nazism before they started killing off millions of people. Apparently, the financial structure was ideal in the eyes of Americans.

It's not actually relevant, I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I learned last night that FDR was all about fascism and Nazism before they started killing off millions of people. Apparently, the financial structure was ideal in the eyes of Americans.

It's not actually relevant, I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Sounds like Bettman.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thread is tl;dr, but...

I actually agree with Timmy... somewhat. This is absolutely not "religious persecution", but if Catholics don't believe in birth control, then the government should amend the bill to exclude Catholics. I agree with that.

But calling it religious prosecution is ridiculous.

And using the famous poem about the Nazis... :facepalm: seriously Timmy? Dude. I mean, DUDE.

Look, you all know I'm a Michigan hockey homer, any player from Michigan is the greatest, if they played college hockey in state they are a god, blah blah blah... and Thomas is the ultimate little engine that could, the Rudy with skill, but come on...

You cannot in any way relate a health care bill to the fucking Nazis. Unless said bill contains provisions that exclude those not of Aryan descent, you cannot compare that shit to Nazis!

What's next, comparing restricted free agency to slavery?

I'm blown away by the stupidity of his choice.

100% Agree Eddie in that it was a poor choice of analogies. That said, I think he was more implying that If you don't stand up sometime, you'll soon have nothing to stand up for. Not so much that he thinks that the current government regime is going to systematically eliminate people.

My humble opinion of course.

Oh, and to those who say that Facebook is personal opinions. Tell that to the numerous morons who have been fired for posting inappropriate pics, thoughts, etc. on their page. Tim Thomas should do this type of shit in the offseason, right now, he's being unfair to his teammates. Facebook isn't a place to share random thoughts with friends at a small gathering.....it's a public podium.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% Agree Eddie in that it was a poor choice of analogies. That said, I think he was more implying that If you don't stand up sometime, you'll soon have nothing to stand up for. Not so much that he thinks that the current government regime is going to systematically eliminate people.

My humble opinion of course.

Oh, and to those who say that Facebook is personal opinions. Tell that to the numerous morons who have been fired for posting inappropriate pics, thoughts, etc. on their page. Tim Thomas should do this type of shit in the offseason, right now, he's being unfair to his teammates. Facebook isn't a place to share random thoughts with friends at a small gathering.....it's a public podium.

I have a huge problem with that, too. If they aren't breaking the law, and if it doesn't translate into the work place, there should be no grounds to fire them.

I had a friend get fired for posting that he was excited to have gotten his top choice summer job. They said he broke confidentiality. He never said who he was working for or what he was doing, just that he was excited to get the job he wanted. Why?

As an aside, occasionally, those pictures/quotes etc. are found on private pages which the companies essentially hacked. Once the law catches up to the technology, I imagine those companies will find themselves in hot water for doing so. It's like searching a suspect's house without a warrant.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a huge problem with that, too. If they aren't breaking the law, and if it doesn't translate into the work place, there should be no grounds to fire them.

I had a friend get fired for posting that he was excited to have gotten his top choice summer job. They said he broke confidentiality. He never said who he was working for or what he was doing, just that he was excited to get the job he wanted. Why?

As an aside, occasionally, those pictures/quotes etc. are found on private pages which the companies essentially hacked. Once the law catches up to the technology, I imagine those companies will find themselves in hot water for doing so. It's like searching a suspect's house without a warrant.

Who said it was right? All I'm saying is, if you don't like the heat get your ass out of the kitchen. Facebook is a PUBLIC page. If you call in sick and then put up your skiing pictures on Facebook, you deserve to get fired. If you don't want to be judged, fired, made fun of, etc. don't make your shit public. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying people need to be more accountable for their actions. The incident that happened to your friend is bullshit though. He didn't post racist remarks, post nude pics, etc. Make no mistake brotha, that is the exception, not the rule.

Timmy knew what he was doing and he knew the consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Disagree.

When somebody, professional athlete or not, puts a comment on facebook, they are putting an opinion out in public and should be prepared for others to respond to their view. I don't disagree that we pay too much attention to celebrities, but he still volunteered the information to the public at large. He didn't have to use facebook to make that comment. He could have texted it to anyone he wanted to see it and kept his opinions private. He chose not to, and while I respect his right to hold and voice an opinion, I don't really empathize with the guy when he chooses to voice that opinion with the public and the public criticizes it. He made the right decision - choosing to remain silent - but he didn't make it soon enough. You'd think that as a goalie he'd understand the importance of not being the first to commit.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said it was right? All I'm saying is, if you don't like the heat get your ass out of the kitchen. Facebook is a PUBLIC page. If you call in sick and then put up your skiing pictures on Facebook, you deserve to get fired. If you don't want to be judged, fired, made fun of, etc. don't make your shit public. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying people need to be more accountable for their actions. The incident that happened to your friend is bullshit though. He didn't post racist remarks, post nude pics, etc. Make no mistake brotha, that is the exception, not the rule.

Timmy knew what he was doing and he knew the consequences.

Exactly, filo. Companies have a funny way of determining what adheres to and what violates company policy. People really need to think twice before posting questionable content which can be easily linked back to them.