• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to rip apart Phil I guess

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to know how much money the guy was trading and what he was doing. If he's buying on a stock tip from an acquaintance and making a little quick cash then that's one thing. If he's throwing around 6+ figures on insider information and shorting stuff that he knows is junk then it's another matter entirely. This is sad though. I always kind of rooted for the guy because I always thought he caught way more crap then he deserved. But if a guy who already has gobs of money has no problem screwing other investors out of their money then he deserves the heat he's going to get.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off ..inside trading is inherently difficult to prove and is a tough case to try in court. The most well timed purchase of stock or options is not proof of any wrong doing.

Phil in this case is very lucky. There is no known direct connection between him and the person who is directly involved with the corporation which is Carl Ichan. So because Phil got the info from a middle man, he can just state he was given information that was speculative.

In the Martha Stewart there was proof of a direct connection between her and an officer of the Corporation. That's when you have problems.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off ..inside trading is inherently difficult to prove and is a tough case to try in court. The most well timed purchase of stock or options is not proof of any wrong doing.

Phil in this case is very lucky. There is no known direct connection between him and the person who is directly involved with the corporation which is Carl Ichan. So because Phil got the info from a middle man, he can just state he was given information that was speculative.

In the Martha Stewart there was proof of a direct connection between her and an officer of the Corporation. That's when you have problems.

This is what I get from what I've read too. Phil likes to gamble. Everyone knows that. Walters is an occasional golf partner. Idk what the laws are but there seems to be enough separation between Ichan and Phil here. It would be interesting to know how much he put down, though.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I get from what I've read too. Phil likes to gamble. Everyone knows that. Walters is an occasional golf partner. Idk what the laws are but there seems to be enough separation between Ichan and Phil here. It would be interesting to know how much he put down, though.

And the fact that Phil likes to gamble works in his favor. He can shows a history of wins & losses from "betting" which is pure speculation.

And you gotta love the FBI, this investigation has been going on for 3 years and yet agents were waiting for him after Thursday round at Memorial. Whatever they have on Phil ..they have had for a long time. Why would agents show up and surprise him like that? My guess is they don't have enough to charge him and they were hoping to catch him off guard and hoping he would incriminate himself.

Phil said ...Ahh you should talk to my lawyer. lol

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought I heard on ESPN he played golf with Icahn.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We're not talking about some small time crap that they over-prosecuted Martha Stewart on. We're talking about 4,000+ put options right before Icahn swooped in and drove the stock price up. This isn't some sexy tech company. It's Clorox. How the hell does Phil Mickelson feel so strongly about a company as bland as that to put his money down on a high risk investing instrument? And there's other trades which I'm assuming Icahn was involved in as well. If they do decide to prosecute him then he can either:

A) Not take the stand and have his lawyers put up some lame defense against SEC regulators talking probability and a bunch of well timed trades that might be the bulk of his trading activity

or

B) Explain to everyone why he felt so strongly about Clorox to throw a bunch of money in it, which is guaranteed to sound pretty lame.

The FBI and SEC obviously wants to get the media heat on him which is why they were so public when they went to talk to him. I'm sure KPMG isn't too happy that their #1 spokesperson is wrapped up in this crap. But this is all about how much money he thew down. If it's just some small trades that he heard from a friend on the golf course then this is no biggie and it will go away.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger haters who constantly love to bring up Phil's faux choir boy persona are devastated.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ Nothing to see here. From what I've read, I don't see anything coming from this as far as FIGJAM is concerned. Wishful thinking for Tiger-tard's and nothing more. Btw, I am a fan of both Tiger and Phil. It IS possible if you appreciate greatness. Isn't that what you always preach about Serena, cezero? You're better than that.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not talking about some small time crap that they over-prosecuted Martha Stewart on. We're talking about 4,000+ put options right before Icahn swooped in and drove the stock price up. This isn't some sexy tech company. It's Clorox. How the hell does Phil Mickelson feel so strongly about a company as bland as that to put his money down on a high risk investing instrument? And there's other trades which I'm assuming Icahn was involved in as well. If they do decide to prosecute him then he can either:

A) Not take the stand and have his lawyers put up some lame defense against SEC regulators talking probability and a bunch of well timed trades that might be the bulk of his trading activity

or

B) Explain to everyone why he felt so strongly about Clorox to throw a bunch of money in it, which is guaranteed to sound pretty lame.

The FBI and SEC obviously wants to get the media heat on him which is why they were so public when they went to talk to him. I'm sure KPMG isn't too happy that their #1 spokesperson is wrapped up in this crap. But this is all about how much money he thew down. If it's just some small trades that he heard from a friend on the golf course then this is no biggie and it will go away.

The SEC count for how may people they put in jail for the 2008 collapse is now at ... Zero.

The SEC needs the "media heat" for some good PR, give at least the appearance that the SEC is doing something. And don't think for a second that the SEC is not concerned about bringing a high profile case like this and losing big. They will be going against Carl Ichan's 20 billion. That buys a lot of lawyers.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But but choir boy can do no wrong. Perfect life, perfect outstanding gentleman. Almost the second coming of Jesus. :whistle:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But but choir boy can do no wrong. Perfect life, perfect outstanding gentleman. Almost the second coming of Jesus. :whistle:

But these kinda comments never surfaced before Tiger hit that tree. So you have to take them with a grain of salt.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't everyone be charged with "insider fraud" if they have an account manager/advisor? I mean how do these advisors get their information?

Should be very interesting few months for Phil

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, after listing to the news this weekend and this morning ...most of the lawyers that have come on have stated what I suspected. This investigation is in the desperation phase when the FBI went to the memorial to talk to Phil. It's also a problem for the FBI that the investigation that it has gone public.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,993.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet the tiger fans were waiting for this day. where they could rip apart Phil.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet the tiger fans were waiting for this day. where they could rip apart Phil.

The old Tiger fan can't be a Phil fan theory...it's been known on tour (anyway) for years that Phil is not the loveable, smiling guy you see on camera when he knows the cameras are not rolling.

That said...while it wouldn't surprise me if it were true, but this is much to do about nothing and shouldn't tarnish Phil's image at all.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am a Tiger fan, but I have no burning desire to see Phil fail & also think people should let this play out until jumping to conclusions. What happened to simply watching & worrying about what golfers do on the course? The current media is a joke.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I dislike about Tiger is his sportsmanship. I love watching both guys play but Bubba Watson is quickly becoming my favorite player to watch. Could you imagine bombing them off the tee 300 yards in the air?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I dislike about Tiger is his sportsmanship. I love watching both guys play but Bubba Watson is quickly becoming my favorite player to watch. Could you imagine bombing them off the tee 300 yards in the air?

I like Tiger and Phil...for different reasons I guess...Tiger for his sheer dominance...he brought Goliath back to golf. Phil...his immense short game and gambling style gave him the ability to go low or go bust...plus the long span to get his 1st major...made him a likeable character.

Bubba, is fun to watch when he's going well, but when it's not, he can be a brat. I was only in his gallery 1 time and it wasn't going the great and he was the biggest bitch I'd ever seen...backing off shots several times, starting at people, trying to demand complete silence from 2,000 people...I'm thinking how did this guy survive a Ryder in Europe.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jealous much? Tiger fan taking shots at Phil. Shocking development.