• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

time for the chen

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we are back within 5 games royals are kicking some red suxs ass . go guts today . lets keep it going chen btw :wtf2: our fox stations are carrying the rays and the twins game instead of the o's .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
line up nate , manny , davis , aj , nick , jj , ryan 2b , teagarden c and chen

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 games back in the L column. If only Chen had won those last 2 games and Boston had lost a few of those comebacks.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nick a hit and jj bb first and second 1 out come on ryan

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 games back in the L column. If only Chen had won those last 2 games [...]

...He might have if Buck had pulled him after 7 innings vs. the Royals and after 6 innings vs. the Mariners. (For that matter, the same could be said of not pulling our other starters after 5-6 innings.)

But hindsight is 20/20. Hey, at least he's on pace for a complete game shutout today (okay, dream on).

Last edited by a moderator:

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I didn't think he should've been pulled in either, but it still would've been nice if he'd at least won one of them. I think even if he has his velocity, he gets a little timid really late in games.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I didn't think he should've been pulled in either, but it still would've been nice if he'd at least won one of them.

I had already mentioned in a previous thread that our starters should probably have a pitch count of 5-6 innings in most cases since their ERA would blow up in the 6th inning. Then again, the mathematically correct move might not always work-- just imagine Buck putting in someone else, only to have the reliever blow the game instead (which would draw even more ire from fans). That's why I prefer to judge managers by whether they made the statistically correct move as opposed to whether what they did actually worked in a specific instance.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had already mentioned in a previous thread that our starters should probably have a pitch count of 5-6 innings in most cases since their ERA would blow up in the 6th inning. Then again, the mathematically correct move might not always work-- just imagine Buck putting in someone else, only to have the reliever blow the game instead (which would draw even more ire from fans). That's why I prefer to judge managers by whether they made the statistically correct move as opposed to whether what they did actually worked in a specific instance.

I don't have a problem with them going up to the normal pitch count if they're doing well, plus you'd really wear out a BP using them in the 6th+ every game. What I'm not a fan of personally is letting the starter go out for just one batter, I'd rather a reliever start with 0 outs, as it seems the starter almost always somehow lets the first guy on. Even if the matchup isn't great, the RP usually has full velocity going while the starter in the 8th may have lost enough to give up that first hit.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm not a fan of personally is letting the starter go out for just one batter, I'd rather a reliever start with 0 outs, as it seems the starter almost always somehow lets the first guy on. Even if the matchup isn't great, the RP usually has full velocity going while the starter in the 8th may have lost enough to give up that first hit.

And that's why I like the following strategy:

Let the starter pitch if he's doing well, but always start warming up a reliever when the starter approaches 75-80 pitches "just in case." That way, the reliever will be ready once he hits 100 (as opposed to 110-120 and with a couple extra runs already given up in the 6th or 7th inning).

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A run prevented by the ground-rule double. Hmmm...

(On a side note: I guess it's situations like this that are tricky for the manager. On one hand, Chen doesn't seem to be doing well this inning, and the bleeding has to stop when your hitters are not doing their job. But Chen's pitch count is too low to justify pulling him early.)

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why r we talking about our pitching?...this lineup is pathetic...I see buck tried to shake things up finally...and Davis is working on getting his ave below .300...I mean how in the world can they continue to compete hitting like this...in the playoffs alot of hr aren't hit so these clowns if they have any hope of making the playoffs they have to learn how to score runs without hitting hr's

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't fall behind every batter 2-0.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why r we talking about our pitching?...this lineup is pathetic...I see buck tried to shake things up finally...and Davis is working on getting his ave below .300...I mean how in the world can they continue to compete hitting like this...in the playoffs alot of hr aren't hit so these clowns if they have any hope of making the playoffs they have to learn how to score runs without hitting hr's

Let's see... since the all-star game, the Orioles have a 0.725 OPS, which is slightly worse than the season average of 0.756 OPS. So who isn't getting the job done right now?

Roberts: 0.555 OPS
Urrutia: 0.591 OPS
Markakis: 0.596 OPS (although 0.329 of that is from OBP)
Machado: 0.670 OPS

(And as I've said previously, Davis has also cooled down: 0.788 OPS, vs. 1.109 OPS in the first half.)

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need some offense!!

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I agree with putting Posey on automatically there, it puts more pressure on the bases loaded.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunter Pence gets a base hit and the Giants dugout explodes out onto the field and the fans act like they just won game 7 of the World series.

Those fools are so laughable.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I agree with putting Posey on automatically there, it puts more pressure on the bases loaded.

Again, hindsight is 20/20... but I also disagreed with the move since there were 2 outs already (read: getting any kind out would be enough; there was no need to set up a double play). Then again, would this have been an issue if we had scored more than 1 run?