• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tilly for 15 th

CamdenFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'll shut my mouth. Davis actually drove the ball.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picking JJs sorry ass up.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point... but given the sheer number of saves that Johnson has blown this season, a closer by committee might actually be a lesser evil. In a sense, it's like diversification in investing-- you would spread out the risk that way.

(Oh, and a side note: Now that we have a 2-run lead, I actually wouldn't mind letting Johnson start the next half-inning. He might actually be able to defend that.)

Nah, no messing around, right to Hunter/O'Day.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, no messing around, right to Hunter/O'Day.

Well, one possible strategy I had mentioned before is "Hunter for 2-inning saves / O'Day for 1-inning saves vs. R / Matusz for 1-inning saves vs. L." (Why not just stick to one person? Again, L/R splits.) But this might have to be revised given that Hunter has struggled somewhat in July...

CamdenFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what does that tell you about his at bats? or maybe they had a time game and 2 outs and wanted to walk a righty to get to a lefty?

I can tell you that his strike zone has expanded drastically in the last 60 days. I can tell you that his strike out per game is way up since May, that he has dropped .40 points in batting average since the first week of June.

His home run production is down. His strikeouts are up. Every at bat statistic is trending unfavorably for the guy. This lineup is not murderers row. It's time they start to play like they realize that.

all4ripken

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not going to fault any decision that says we take our starter out after 110+ pitches and put in a closer who has close to the most saves in the majors. it just didnt work out this time. sports arent an equation where something will happen every time you set it up, theres a lot of randomness in it.

I've always said that pitch counts mean absolute dick. Especially when the starter is at 110 pitches and still striking people out. Pitch count is an absolute cop out to get the closer in - no more no less...

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, one possible strategy I had mentioned before is "Hunter for 2-inning saves / O'Day for 1-inning saves vs. R / Matusz for 1-inning saves vs. L." But this might have to be revised given that Hunter has struggled somewhat in July...

Right, I just meant to leadoff this inning take JJ out, don't risk even any momentum. I like the committee idea. Buck needs to stop being so preprogrammed and go on feel a little more.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great game tilly

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you that his strike zone has expanded drastically in the last 60 days. I can tell you that his strike out per game is way up since May, that he has dropped .40 points in batting average since the first week of June.

His home run production is down. His strikeouts are up. Every at bat statistic is trending unfavorably for the guy. This lineup is not murderers row. It's time they start to play like they realize that.

Davis after the All-Star Game: 0.235 / 0.289 / 0.471 / 0.760. Enough said.

CamdenFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three up three down. Hopefully, Johnson was taking notes.

dandydOnS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always said that pitch counts mean absolute dick. Especially when the starter is at 110 pitches and still striking people out. Pitch count is an absolute cop out to get the closer in - no more no less...

except for the fact that its the way pitchers stay healthy and dont throw their arms out in one outing. given all of the money in having healthy pitchers and winning games dont you think that people would have found out what the right number of pitches to throw was? i trust the mlb people to say 120 is close to a limit as there should be.

CamdenFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great game tilly

Agreed. Tillman pitched a great game. The guy has not only taken the opportunity the Orioles gave him to salvage his career, but he has become a force on the mound.

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well at least the offense hooked me up with a Happy birthday present

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy shit at the seagulls that swarmed the field after the game. Did yall see that mess going down when Palmer was just talking?

CamdenFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
except for the fact that its the way pitchers stay healthy and dont throw their arms out in one outing. given all of the money in having healthy pitchers and winning games dont you think that people would have found out what the right number of pitches to throw was? i trust the mlb people to say 120 is close to a limit as there should be.

I'm not sure I buy all that. I think it is more about specialization. In 1968 Denny McClain won 30 games. He pitched 28 complete games that year. There was a time in MLB where your top three in the rotation were expected to pitch complete games.

Many of those pitchers had long careers.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I buy all that. I think it is more about specialization. In 1968 Denny McClain won 30 games. He pitched 28 complete games that year. There was a time in MLB where your top three in the rotation were expected to pitch complete games.

I think there are several factors to consider:
* Not all pitches are equal if you're comparing them across different eras. Since the steroid era, pitchers might have to throw harder than back then.
* Apparently, there is some evidence that the number of pitches in an outing matters more than the days of rest. In other words, throwing 120+ pitches with 5 days of rest might be worse than throwing 100 pitches with 4 or even 3 days of rest.

(On a side note... part of me wonders if Justin Verlander is struggling this year--by his standards, that is--due to being overused.)

dandydOnS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this is to both of the os fans who replied to my post, i think that you cant compare between eras accurately. who knows what they were doing to get stronger and increase swing speed back in the day. im sure dizzy dean pitched tons of complete games but he was playing against part timers and now theres a multi billion dollar industry in hitting well.

dandydOnS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not only that but 1969 was the year they lowered the pitching mound also. maybe the innings monster you mentioned wouldnt have done as well without the advantage.

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanna know why when jim johnson blows saves he always says "well i threw the ball well, some balls just got thru"...sorry idiot, u walked a batter after giving up a hit...thats not throwing the ball well unless u wanted think walking people in the 9th inning of a 1-run game is throwing well...

and buck says "thats why we trust him, he kept competing and didnt give in"...