• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tigers To Sign Jordan Zimmermann

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers To Sign Jordan Zimmermann

The Tigers and Jordan Zimmermann have reached agreement on a deal, per Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). Zimmermann rejected a qualifying offer from the Nationals, so the Tigers will have to sacrifice a draft pick in order to sign him. The Tigers select ninth overall – a protected pick – so they would surrender their second pick. The deal is pending a physical.

This should set the market for every SP not named Price or Greinke & get the ball rolling going into the winter meetings.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great news! Nice work, Avilia.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Greinke and Price... every other free agent starter has to hate this deal... It takes out one of the big spenders for their service and sets the market lower than expected. Many thought Zimmerman would get $130 mil over 6 years. Cueto is probably pissed right now. He might not even get 100 mil now.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad someone else signed him. Rumors had the Dodgers interested and he's really not that good for that much money and a first round draft pick. Plus it just seems like he's doomed for another TJ. His elbow scares me.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Greinke and Price... every other free agent starter has to hate this deal... It takes out one of the big spenders for their service and sets the market lower than expected. Many thought Zimmerman would get $130 mil over 6 years. Cueto is probably pissed right now. He might not even get 100 mil now.
Cueto is better than Zimmerman and doesn't cost a draft pick.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto is better than Zimmerman and doesn't cost a draft pick.
You're scared of injuries from Zimmerman but you aren't scared of Cueto's elbow? LOL... Cueto's numbers after being traded and in the playoffs were god awful.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're scared of injuries from Zimmerman but you aren't scared of Cueto's elbow?

Why would I be worried about Cueto's elbow? Because he had a tight back in 2013?

Zimmermann has already had Tommy John in the past and his mechanics send up red flags for me. Excessive elbow drag and huge separation from his hips. Having your elbow further from your core = more stress = UCL more likely go pop. Stressful mechanics plus being a hard-thrower plus a history of TJ plus the guy is entering his 30s.

Yeah, that's why I'm worried about him. :thumb:

LOL... Cueto's numbers after being traded and in the playoffs were god awful.
So what? He's got an entire "rest-of-career" of being better than Zimmermann to point to. If you like giving out multi-year, 9-figure contracts based solely on the stats of only half a season then that's all you.

Despite his poor August/September in KC, Cueto still finished 2015 with better numbers than Zimmermann.

Also, WTF Cueto was god awful in the playoffs? IDK if you watched the same World Series that I did, but if I'm not mistaken it included a complete game where he only gave up one run...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would I be worried about Cueto's elbow? Because he had a tight back in 2013?

Zimmermann has already had Tommy John in the past and his mechanics send up red flags for me. Excessive elbow drag and huge separation from his hips. Having your elbow further from your core = more stress = UCL more likely go pop. Stressful mechanics plus being a hard-thrower plus a history of TJ plus the guy is entering his 30s.

Yeah, that's why I'm worried about him. :thumb:

So what? He's got an entire "rest-of-career" of being better than Zimmermann to point to. If you like giving out multi-year, 9-figure contracts based solely on the stats of only half a season then that's all you.

Despite his poor August/September in KC, Cueto still finished 2015 with better numbers than Zimmermann.

Also, WTF Cueto was god awful in the playoffs? IDK if you watched the same World Series that I did, but if I'm not mistaken it included a complete game where he only gave up one run...
I guess you only watched the WS.. because Cueto was shit vs the Blue Jays.. and got bombed the first game vs the Astros too... he had a 5.40 era for the playoffs by the way... and that included the complete game in the WS.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Dodgers sign Cueto after Greinke leaves for the Giants.. Dodgers fans are such pieces of shit they deserve to watch Cueto's arm fall off next year. What a god awful fan base... You guys have spent more in the last 3 years on salary than the Royals will in the next decade... and you still can't get to a WS.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart signing by the Tigers, Cueto is not a guy I would want signed by my team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good signing for a team with a protected pick. I would not have wanted him on the Giants while losing the pick.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Dodgers sign Cueto after Greinke leaves for the Giants.. Dodgers fans are such pieces of shit they deserve to watch Cueto's arm fall off next year. What a god awful fan base... You guys have spent more in the last 3 years on salary than the Royals will in the next decade... and you still can't get to a WS.

You don't sound mad at all.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So a Tigers fan is bitching about one of the three teams that spent more than them each of the last three years.

And BTW the Dodgers spent in the area of 725 million over the last three years. KC spent 112 million last year, if you use that as an average the Royals will spend 1.12 Billion over the next decade.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you only watched the WS.. because Cueto was shit vs the Blue Jays.. and got bombed the first game vs the Astros too... he had a 5.40 era for the playoffs by the way... and that included the complete game in the WS.
Who cares? If you sign someone based on a small sample size, you're asking for trouble. Cueto is better than Zimmermann and there are years of stats to prove it, but you'd rather be a homer and love your team's new player... which is why you're talking shit about the Dodgers instead of bringing up any worthwhile points.

Zimmermann has a lot of red flags. I'm glad your team signed him instead of mine.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Much of which is skewed by the game where he gave up 8 runs in 2 innings...in his other 3 playoff starts, he had a 2.74 ERA and averaged 7.7 innings/start.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're scared of injuries from Zimmerman but you aren't scared of Cueto's elbow? LOL... Cueto's numbers after being traded and in the playoffs were god awful.

So you're bashing Cueto for having a 4.76 ERA in the AL to end the season, but overlook that Zimmerman had a 4.56 ERA over his last 9 starts of 2015?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a huge knock on Zimmermann to say that I'd rather have Cueto. Cueto is a really good pitcher!

Cueto has just been better (not by a huge margin, but still better) over the long haul of their careers, doesn't have the same significant Tommy John concerns, and doesn't come with a draft pick penalty.

Obviously, I come from the Dodgers' perspective so the draft pick would be a first rounder instead of the 2nd rounder that the Tigers gave up. Two 29-year-old guys asking for almost identical dollars and years, for me the preference is Cueto and it's an easy choice. I also see Cueto as a guy who'll pitch better as he ages and loses velocity.

Zimmermann throws really hard and if that elbow goes pop, he's gonna be done. He reminds me of Jason Schmidt. Hopefully for the Tigers, that won't happen.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a Tigers fan is bitching about one of the three teams that spent more than them each of the last three years.

And BTW the Dodgers spent in the area of 725 million over the last three years. KC spent 112 million last year, if you use that as an average the Royals will spend 1.12 Billion over the next decade.
And the dodgers will spend 2 billion not sure what your point is
Teams want to make money which is simple spend less than u make
Just cause an owner is a billionaire doesnt mean he wants to spend his money:suds:

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers have been fifth in spending each of the past three years, but you have a Tigers fan gripping about the amount another team is spending. One of his statements was that the Dodgers have spent more in the last three years than the Royals will spend in the next decade. I was using facts to show that his argument was false.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the dodgers will spend 2 billion not sure what your point is
Teams want to make money which is simple spend less than u make
Just cause an owner is a billionaire doesnt mean he wants to spend his money:suds:
And the Dodgers' owners are still profiting. They get some 250-300 annually from the TV contract alone.

Some Koreans were trying to buy one of the new minority owners' shares, I think it was like 20%, and the Dodgers guy was asking for like 10 or 20% on top of what he put in only less than 3 years ago. Foggy facts from memory, but google can confirm or deny if you need specifics.