• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tigers sign Justin Upton

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main purpose of BABIP is to predict future performance, correct? If all those seasons already happened (and hence nothing to predict/project), why are you so hung on that stat?

Fact is, Hunter's numbers didn't get any better with Cabrera behind him. Neither did Kinsler's. A notable of a guy leaving a crappy Padres lineup going to a better lineup (like Upton is) is Adrian Gonzalez, who didn't perform any better overall with the Red Sox/Dodgers.

I just don't think lineup protection has as big an effect as you might think.
You didn't play baseball if you think lineup protection doesn't change the way a pitcher pitches to a player. You 100% just gave that away.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn't play baseball if you think lineup protection doesn't change the way a pitcher pitches to a player. You 100% just gave that away.
That isnt the argument. The argument is that AT THE MLB LEVEL, there is not a history of players improving their stats considerably based on it.

Adrian Gonzalez is a very comparable recent example coming directly from the Padres who actually had his number DROP after leaving the Padres and joining a "powerhouse" offense.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isnt the argument. The argument is that AT THE MLB LEVEL, there is not a history of players improving their stats considerably based on it.

Adrian Gonzalez is a very comparable recent example coming directly from the Padres who actually had his number DROP after leaving the Padres and joining a "powerhouse" offense.

Not sure if there really has ever been a study... But it would not be surprising if OBP and BA goes down, as I would assume HR numbers would go up as they would see more fastballs...

Yes, BA and OBP are ratio stats, but it would also not be surprising that as a players walks go down, so does his BA...

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very unpredictable, as he's got the talent/potential to put up monster seasons, but also might've peaked already (where there quite a bit of examples of guys who had their best years in their early/mid 20s but regressed in their late 20s).

Jeff Francour - the guys that strikeout tend to - he is above a 4 - 1 rate, Upton - strikes out a ton but gets walks, still in the 2-1 range

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lineup protection can be as simple as you can't pitch around a guy. Miggy gets a ton on non intentional intentional walks. it's tough to do that when you have a guy or two that can deposit the ball in the stands more often than say Anthony Gose or Jose Iglasius.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Francour - the guys that strikeout tend to - he is above a 4 - 1 rate, Upton - strikes out a ton but gets walks, still in the 2-1 range
Did you just compare a player with a career WAR of 5.1 to a player with a career WAR of 26.5? LOL.. Seriously.. get the fuck out of here using Jeff Francour as a comp for Justin Upton.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(where there quite a bit of examples of guys who had their best years in their early/mid 20s but regressed in their late 20s).

follow along numbnuts,

Francour - also a 1st round pick and hot in his early 20's but regressed because of his k to walk rate...Upton hasn't and most likely won't because he is still around 2-1

I was showing that Upton won't end up like Francour but as always you twist it into something it isn't. Stan, who made the statement would understand, you however are you.

It has absolutely nothing to do with career WAR, thanks for again being clueless.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your comprehension is poor if that's what you thought I was saying. Calsnowskier summed it up perfectly.

Saying that the effect isn't as big as you think (which is what I said) isn't the same as saying there's no effect (which seems to be what you think I said).

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even talking about whether it was long ago or recent lol.

Vice made a point about winning playoff series.

As if that's the goal. That parade in 2002 was so much fun when we beat the As for 1 series!!!
I consider playing the As in the playoffs a BYE.