• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tigers at Sox

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all well and good . . . . . . except defense doesn't win ball games!
LOL - may be not, but bad defense can lose you ballgames.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL - may be not, but bad defense can lose you ballgames.
it can lose a few. but fielding comparatively has little to do with winning. you take a really good fielding team with poor hitting and pitching and i'll take an average to poor fielding team with decent hitting and pitching and i'll beat you every year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it can lose a few. but fielding comparatively has little to do with winning. you take a really good fielding team with poor hitting and pitching and i'll take an average to poor fielding team with decent hitting and pitching and i'll beat you every year.
Just because it is the second time to tell me - doesn't mean I will believe it this time either.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because it is the second time to tell me - doesn't mean I will believe it this time either.
believe what you want. but look it up. i wouldn't bring it up again but you keep talking about improved defense as if it's so really important and will somehow change this 'team'. improved defense is not what this team needs.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
believe what you want. but look it up. i wouldn't bring it up again but you keep talking about improved defense as if it's so really important and will somehow change this 'team'. improved defense is not what this team needs.
I bring up improved defense - because it makes the White Sox play much more watchable.

Whatever data you are referring on the value of MLB defense - realize so many "errors" go uncounted. For instance - some outfielders throw home for the out - even with guys on 1st and 2nd - who then move up to 2nd and 3rd - while the play at the plate is safe. All sloppy play is bad defense - not all sloppy play is captured by negative fielding stats.

Your actual beef isn't with defense - it is with the metrics used to measure defense. Metrics that may assign an error to a player who went a long distance and touched the ball but didn't field it - might get an error - when a player doesn't touch the ball but should have easily made the play doesn't get an error.

This link will help you update your opinion:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mingo, I take it by your responses here that iddy-ot is pissing and moaning about our defense or whatever. While our roster is largely made up of minor league quality bats, we at least have the makings of an above average D to keep the team somewhat in the game. A solid defense makes what can be a medicore pitching staff look that much better. BTW, I'm not sure I can remember the last time we opened the season with no errors in the first two games. Maybe it's happened recently, but I just don't remember it being so.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mingo, I take it by your responses here that iddy-ot is pissing and moaning about our defense or whatever. While our roster is largely made up of minor league quality bats, we at least have the makings of an above average D to keep the team somewhat in the game. A solid defense makes what can be a medicore pitching staff look that much better. BTW, I'm not sure I can remember the last time we opened the season with no errors in the first two games. Maybe it's happened recently, but I just don't remember it being so.

It also depends on the type of pitchers you have

For instance with Detroit Rick Porcello was a heavy GB pitcher...which is ideal unless you have Miggy at 3b. He was basically the same pitcher from 2012 to 14 but when Miggy moved to 1b his ERA dropped by almost 1 run a game. It also helped having Kinsler at 2b.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also depends on the type of pitchers you have

For instance with Detroit Rick Porcello was a heavy GB pitcher...which is ideal unless you have Miggy at 3b. He was basically the same pitcher from 2012 to 14 but when Miggy moved to 1b his ERA dropped by almost 1 run a game. It also helped having Kinsler at 2b.
Well, first off, our pitchers as a whole, both rotation and bullpen are at best subpar. We don't have an ace, nor do we have a sure-fire closer. Others in here might have more detailed knowledge in describing which ones are more GB vs FB inducing, and which ones are better labeled as power pitchers vs finesse. But just in general, having a good defense at all the positions helps every pitcher, regardless of his strengths and weaknesses. And we'll definitely need to rely on our defense this year because our offense will rarely bail us out.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J/K...but a man can hope.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to get swept by Tigers. My expectations are low...but just once I'd like to be proven wrong in the smallest of ways by this team...

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll believe that our "above average D to keep the team somewhat in a game" pans out when I see it vs. the good teams. Staying in the game vs. the Tigers should be the lowest of expectations...

Meanwhile...We're swept...at home...vs a below average team. Can't even swing 1 f*cking game when most of the mlb fanbase thinks you're the worst team in baseball. Literally no pressure...and still lose...all 3...vs the tigers...at home.

I may not be iddy negative...but come the f*ck on.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet another tough loss. I'm beginning to wonder if Grifol should consider Kopech for the closer role.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is we'll be the worst team in baseball at the break and they'll hold on to Grifol for the rest of this sh*t season...just to make a point to the fans. Our ownership is nuts like that.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well there you go. swept at home by a shit team.

Detroit had a top 5 rotation for the second half of last year. If it wasn't for Joey Wentz they end up with a winning record.

Your rotation sucks balls.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is we'll be the worst team in baseball at the break and they'll hold on to Grifol for the rest of this sh*t season...just to make a point to the fans. Our ownership is nuts like that.

Nah

Athletics by far

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet another tough loss. I'm beginning to wonder if Grifol should consider Kopech for the closer role.

Oh God...Yeah I saw those rumblings when he got moved to the bullpen...

Kopech the never will be finds another niche to hang onto is his career of nothingness...Dude is never going to be good. It's over.