• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Throw yet another one at you guys

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we swapped #1's this year and also gave up next years #1 to do it for a WR with our defense I'd be friggin pissed off

So hmmmmm

Just gonna ask you

our defense was the worst in Cowboys history last year.

If you could make this offense top of the league.... avg 35-40 points a game .... win 10-12 games .... make the playoffs

Have a defense slightly better than last year

You wouldn't be happy?

Or go all defense?

Rookie D-linemen are like receivers.... 90% chance they show little first 2 years

so offense stays the same .... and defense young will eventually get better ..... but realistically you wont move up from 32 to 20 in one season ( If you are honest with yourself about expectations)

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No guarantee Watkins makes us the best offense. Our offense is already plenty good, so the law of diminishing returns says improve the defense and it will benefit us much more than improving the offense. I expect us to be in the top 20 in defense next year if we are healthy and if we find two impact players in the draft and use our players properly. If you go by points we were 3 points per game from being in the top 20. I'd have no problem taking Watkins at #16 (he's not getting out of the top 7) but I'm not throwing in next years #1 to get him.

Like you said, our defense was the worst in Cowboys history. Common sense tells me that's where we need to go...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Watkins falls to us I'm all in, just not ready to trade up for anyone. We have too many needs to fill and my glass half full way of thinking is with the right guys added we can make a run. Trading picks lessens to chances of getting those players we must have. If we were in a different situation I'd consider it.

If I duplicated anyone I'm sorry. Had a family get together and didn't feel like reading all the responses.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Watkins falls to us I'm all in

Me too. I don't want my comment on trading up to be misconstrued with me not liking the player. I've said all along I have no problem going BPA in the first. We have plenty of picks to get the positions we need. I am a big fan of Watkins. I'm just not wanting to use what it would take to get him with our defense. If I'm another team with a different set up...then yes I may trade up for him...

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. I don't want my comment on trading up to be misconstrued with me not liking the player. I've said all along I have no problem going BPA in the first. We have plenty of picks to get the positions we need. I am a big fan of Watkins. I'm just not wanting to use what it would take to get him with our defense. If I'm another team with a different set up...then yes I may trade up for him...

Is there any player on Defense you would trade up for? Me personally wouldnt trade up for any player unless I thought he could give us the same production as Ware did in his career.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any player on Defense you would trade up for? Me personally wouldnt trade up for any player unless I thought he could give us the same production as Ware did in his career.

For me the answer is NO. We have too many needs.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There wasn't a rookie salary cap two years ago?

No
was no cap ....thats when they were doing the CBA or rather switching it up ....

and teams were given a good margin of loop holes to work with

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No guarantee Watkins makes us the best offense. Our offense is already plenty good, so the law of diminishing returns says improve the defense and it will benefit us much more than improving the offense. I expect us to be in the top 20 in defense next year if we are healthy and if we find two impact players in the draft and use our players properly. If you go by points we were 3 points per game from being in the top 20. I'd have no problem taking Watkins at #16 (he's not getting out of the top 7) but I'm not throwing in next years #1 to get him.

Like you said, our defense was the worst in Cowboys history. Common sense tells me that's where we need to go...

My thing is Jarntt

and Imma leave it at this .....

I got a huge man crush for Watkins

Years ago .... I didnt watch the hype .... Now we all see it

To me ( This is just me ) THE PLAYER....... you dont see them often .... but when you do .... I jump on him

So YES I think he is that SPECIAL

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how trading away next year's first and swapping firsts this year is any better than trading Dez and swapping firsts this year. I would give up first and third next year and swap firsts this year for Watkins. That ain't gonna happen though. Every GM in the league can see, or should be able to see, that this year's draft is a hell of a lot better than next year's draft.

Trading Dez this year for a first and third is the only way I see the Cowboys having enough draft leverage to land Watkins. Even then, you would have to find a team that doesn't care about drafting a super special WR in the first five picks to even have a chance at him.

It really is a pipe dream. But I guess that's what the offseason is for, so dream away Twist.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how trading away next year's first and swapping firsts this year is any better than trading Dez and swapping firsts this year. I would give up first and third next year and swap firsts this year for Watkins. That ain't gonna happen though. Every GM in the league can see, or should be able to see, that this year's draft is a hell of a lot better than next year's draft.

Trading Dez this year for a first and third is the only way I see the Cowboys having enough draft leverage to land Watkins. Even then, you would have to find a team that doesn't care about drafting a super special WR in the first five picks to even have a chance at him.

It really is a pipe dream. But I guess that's what the offseason is for, so dream away Twist.

HAHA bruh I have til draft day to wish :suds:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what if the #10 pick is there

and Watkins is on the board.....

Would you swap 1st and give up a future pick (performance bases) might be next years 1st or 2nd rounder

put the combination on the field of offensive weapons consisting of

Dez, Williams, Watkins, Witten, Murray, Dunbar, and Escobar.... with Cole and Dwayne also in the mix

Give you the more weapons than the 98 Vikings team. And the potential to be the greatest offense ever (Barring injury of course)

fixing the defense with the rest of the draft and the second wave of free agency. ( we have already seen what Rod can get from guys off the street like Selvie and Hayden)

Either way I don't think we goto the Superbowl

But you gotta admit teams would have a hella time keeping up with that offense. And whats the best way to fix a broke defense? Keep them off the field

While it's a ''what if'' topic, it's actually a fairly logical way to go on a couple of fronts. There are many NFL tams that go deep in the playoffs or to the Super Bowl because they are elite on one side of the ball, and crappy on the other. The 85 Bears and the Ravens of, gulp, Trent Dilfer. Even last years Seahawks to a degree, great defensive teams with mediocre offense. On the other side, Green Bay is always dangerous despite having a terrible D, and P Manning's Colts team went from Super Bowl favorite to first pick in the draft when he was injured, to right back to the playoffs when they added Luck, Hilton and Allen.

If the Cowboys were going to go all in on offense(with Romo nearing his mid 30's), Watkins across from Dez , with Williams and Witten on the field and Murray in the backfield would be superior to the weapons than PManning had last season in Denver. But if you're gonna go for it, take the best available OL in the 2nd round, and a weapon like DeAnthony Thomas in the 3rd or 4th. If the Cowboys added a vet S like Mccoud and resigned Spencer, we wouldn't be the Steel Curtain, but we might be able to hold teams under the 35 we'd score every game lol

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHA bruh I have til draft day to wish :suds:

Here's a Question Twist...Jerry calls Jeff Fisher, ask's him what it would take to get the #2 overall(the Rams also have the #13, gotta love the Skins), Fisher says the Cowboys #1 and #2 and next years #1. The Cowboys do the deal, get the 2nd overall pick to nab Watkins, and then the Texans take Bortles at #1 overall. Would you still take Watkins, with Clowney still on the board?

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a Question Twist...Jerry calls Jeff Fisher, ask's him what it would take to get the #2 overall(the Rams also have the #13, gotta love the Skins), Fisher says the Cowboys #1 and #2 and next years #1. The Cowboys do the deal, get the 2nd overall pick to nab Watkins, and then the Texans take Bortles at #1 overall. Would you still take Watkins, with Clowney still on the board?

well no I wouldnt even do that trade

I'm not for trading any of this years picks. Draft is too deep

Id rather give next years 1st than this years second.

And to move all the way to 2 .... too expensive

But yeah I would take Watkins over Clowney. I've already said I think Watkins is the best player in the draft. And in fact have said I think he is a once in a decade type of player

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a similar moved the Falcons made for Julio, how has that worked out for them. They still have a shitty defense & until they get that fix they will not be serious contenders. I am onboard with the win now with Romo & youth movement. We need every draft pick we can get...

I agree. We have to build our defense. I like Watkins, but we have too many d needs at this point.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well no I wouldnt even do that trade

I'm not for trading any of this years picks. Draft is too deep

Id rather give next years 1st than this years second.

And to move all the way to 2 .... too expensive

But yeah I would take Watkins over Clowney. I've already said I think Watkins is the best player in the draft. And in fact have said I think he is a once in a decade type of player

There's no way I do that deal either, I was just curious about Watkins vs Clowney. Who knows, half these guys may pan out, but with the exception of the three QB's being talked about in the top 15(they are all 3rd rounders or so to me), I think there are several top notch talents besides even Watkins and Clowney. Barr and Mack, the top 4 OT's, and at least 10 DT's and 10 WR's that look like 1st or 2nd round talents

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have to love a player and he has to help us enough to give up another valuable pick. If the team likes a guy enough they may do it, but that one player has to help you more than whomever we can take at #16 and our second rounder (depending on how far up you are talking about moving) combined. For me only Clowney and Mack probably fit that description.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I would be willing to part with next years first. I truly believe our qb of the future is in next years draft. We have a tough schedule coming up and if for what ever reason we finish with a bad record rather it be injury, being to young, poor coaching, etc. I would prefer to have that pick at our disposal. I know Romo will likely be here at least 2 more years and giving him more weapons or a more stout defense increases his chances for having success, but at what point do we start to plan for the future. Giving up next years first would set this franchise back even more imo.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
deepest draft in years I think any pick other than next years 1 and this years 1 2 3 4 should be thought about being used in trade if you have a player that can help you now falling to you and you need to move up after round 1 other than that stay put and take the guy you like that's on the board. It limits you somewhat but don't get fancy looking for Filet mignon when good ole Sirloin, T-bone or KC Strip beef is staring you in the face. Select your cut and move on to the next selection.

I know its not sexy or fun but that's how you build a team on draft day not being fancy just solid picking.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really need to look at the talent of these defensive lineman, Donald and Jernigan seem to be the names the experts keep mocking to us. Jernigan does not impress me and I think donald may be taken before we pick. Rather than waste a pick on jernigan I would rather do the trade. I would go a step further and trade down,gain a pick, and take brandon cooks. He reminds me of steve smith. He plays bigger than his size,runs good routes and is faster than hell. The real value in this draft for defensive lineman is rounds 2 through 4, I would love to see cooks in the slot with bryant and twill outside, cooks actually looks like a number one receiver to me