• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Three With The Angels July 7-9 To Take Us To The Break

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HR.....HOFeltre

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually don't say the S word until it's done, but a sweep would feel good going into the break. A lot of tough road games are awaiting this team on the other side.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually don't say the S word until it's done, but a sweep would feel good going into the break. A lot of tough road games are awaiting this team on the other side.
A good positive idea

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good positive idea

I only floated the possibility because the team has the lead, Darvish pitches tomorrow, and the angels don't have trout. In other words, I think if we get this game tonight a sweep is likely.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ross through 4 has given up 3 hits and 1 run..........I'll take it.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone might have spoke too soon. It looks like we have good Ross tonight.

Imagine how dangerous this team could be if "good" Darvish, good Hamels, good Ross, and decent cashner all showed up on a given week. Keep in mind that this rotation still has pretty good stats in the rankings, especially if you consider a lot of the earned runs in their ERA are from inherited runners that the terrible bullpen allowed to score.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty disheartening AB for Mazara there?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone might have spoke too soon. It looks like we have good Ross tonight.

Imagine how dangerous this team could be if "good" Darvish, good Hamels, good Ross, and decent cashner all showed up on a given week. Keep in mind that this rotation still has pretty good stats in the rankings, especially if you consider a lot of the earned runs in their ERA are from inherited runners that the terrible bullpen allowed to score.

That someone does not at all look like me or my buddy AJ. ha ha

But your point regarding good Darvis/Hamels, etc is exactly why I said earlier I can totally understand why JD might be thinking to go for it.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That someone does not at all look like me or my buddy AJ. ha ha

But your point regarding good Darvis/Hamels, etc is exactly why I said earlier I can totally understand why JD might be thinking to go for it.

Well that and the fact that AL wild card is wide open. We all would like the thought of getting the second or first wild card, winning that game, and taking our chances against the Astros. I know the Astros look like a scary team and nobody would give us a chance, but I think we would have the intangible or psychological advantage over them because of our history the last few years. We have owned them point blank. If it wasn't for our bull pen being so terrible we would've have won or at least tied two series down there. The series up here, they caught us a bad time and we just got rolled.

That is our likely road if we make it. I'd guess a game against the Yankees then the Astros if we get by them. I would be more optimistic or hopeful about a series with the Astros then I ever was playing the jays. The jays just seem to dominate us for some reason.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call it fools gold. Baseball can be a crazy sport. The blow jays made it to the ALCS last year as the wild care and the Cardinals won it all as the wild card a few years ago. I've always thought playoff baseball is "wide open" if a team gets in then anything could happen. The NBA is more predictable there is only 4-5 teams that can win it all.
I think it is fool's gold because it would be extremely rare for a team that makes the second wildcard to win it all. You mention Toronto, but they would have still made the playoffs last year had we only had one wildcard to make it. They didn't need the second wildcard to get in. Then they only made it past the first round because they played us and we were not nearly as good as our record. They were put in their wildcard place when they played a good team in Cleveland.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is fool's gold because it would be extremely rare for a team that makes the second wildcard to win it all. You mention Toronto, but they would have still made the playoffs last year had we only had one wildcard to make it. They didn't need the second wildcard to get in. Then they only made it past the first round because they played us and we were not nearly as good as our record. They were put in their wildcard place when they played a good team in Cleveland.

It's still one step away from the World Series. If you get in, you have a shot.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still one step away from the World Series. If you get in, you have a shot.
In that case it was like the one step was the size of the Grand Canyon though. Is was a fluke that they got one step away. And they still didn't require being the second wildcard to get in. My problem is with having 2 wildcards. It creates a whole lot of false hopes.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 1977 team that they honored tonight was an amazing team. That season is still my favorite non-WS season as a Rangers fan with the exception of the first year we went to the postseason. 2011, 2010, 1996, and then 1977.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that case it was like the one step was the size of the Grand Canyon though. Is was a fluke that they got one step away. And they still didn't require being the second wildcard to get in. My problem is with having 2 wildcards. It creates a whole lot of false hopes.
Keep in mind we have a healthy team for the first time in a while. I don't believe in giving up until there is no mathematical chance to win. If we pursue and fail this year then unload the ship but not until.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we pursue and fail this year then unload the ship but not until.

By my count, we've got 8/9 players on the last year of their contracts. So the ship will kind of unload itself at seasons end.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind we have a healthy team for the first time in a while. I don't believe in giving up until there is no mathematical chance to win. If we pursue and fail this year then unload the ship but not until.
There will be no return for what is unloaded at the end of the year. Darvish, Lucroy, Gomez, Cashner, and Ross will all walk away freely. As far as guys under contract beyond this year then the mindset of not giving up on 2018 will set in and it will be too early to give up on them all over again.

It has been a long time now since this club has won a playoff series. The plan is not working if "working" is defined as winning a championship.