• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Three Games In The Windy City With The White Sox June30 - July 2

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can lump Barnette into the "shit" category as well. Dyson, Bush, and Barnette have cost us a lot of games between them. Probably in the 10-15 range.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need more than one pitcher for this bullpen.
True but closing out games where you have a 2 run or higher lead should be close to a sure thing. Sure Joe Nathan blew 3 saves but converted 38 of 41 when he was with us His first year. He was not so good coming in during the ball games.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck the closer role. Stop this stupidity and do the obviously smart thing and pitch the best fucking pitcher in the tightest spot at the time. It's not that fucking hard.
Wisdom spoken above. We've all been banging that gong for weeks.

Bush used to be a strike out machine. That changed as everyone now knows his slider no longer slides and if you know a fast ball is coming you can hit it.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough call as we have a lineup which is producing enough runs on any given night to win if the pen does not shat the bed.

There are a lot of competitive teams out there (Nats) who have issues with a closer role. So they go with who is doing best at the time. Our problem is no one in our pen is consistent right now. I mean how many times are you going to trot Claudio out there.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can lump Barnette into the "shit" category as well. Dyson, Bush, and Barnette have cost us a lot of games between them. Probably in the 10-15 range.
Roughly 15 games is my guesstimate. Convert half of those and our standing is pretty healthy.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough call as we have a lineup which is producing enough runs on any given night to win if the pen does not shat the bed.

There are a lot of competitive teams out there (Nats) who have issues with a closer role. So they go with who is doing best at the time. Our problem is no one in our pen is consistent right now. I mean how many times are you going to trot Claudio out there.
LeClerc has been pretty good.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like our closer righty is getting mashed.

Lol. Yeah, that was one hell of a jinx.

Let me try that again...

"I've never had a naked girl show up at my door late at night!"

Damn... I guess it was a one time thing.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's especially tough, considering that there's a number of teams who are a decent couple of weeks away from taking a stranglehold of the #2 WC spot in the AL. Rangers included. It's pretty wide open.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By SportsDayDFW.com Contact SportsDayDFW.comon Twitter>:(SportsDayDFW

ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian recently joined Chuck Cooperstein and Tim MacMahon, in for Jean-Jacques Taylor and Will Chambers on vacation, on ESPN Radio Dallas 103.3 FM's "J Dub City." Here are some highlights:

Thoughts on the offseason market for Yu Darvish...

TK: It all depends on how he does the rest of the way. Let's take the best case -- he pitches like crazy the rest of the way, pitches the Rangers into the playoffs, and does really well in October. His price is going to go through the roof because everybody knows stuff wise - that's number one and there's no doubt about that. If he gets hurt again, or if he doesn't pitch well in October or the Rangers suddenly fall way out of this, which I don't see happening -- they have to trade him, that's going to affect his value. Everything goes well, he's going to get paid well over $100 million by somebody. It just depends which team really wants him. But there's so much that has to happen beforehand before we can really set the market for him.

Thoughts on how Rangers GM Jon Daniels will approach the weeks leading up to the trade deadline...

TK: Well, I expect him to be a buyer. He should be a buyer. He should go get some relief help, that's fairly obvious. Because we know this: the American League is so muddled right now -- virtually everyone is still in the playoff race in the AL and therefore the Rangers can't even think about selling when they can still make the playoffs. Let's face it, in baseball -- this isn't basketball or LeBron or Kevin Durant -- touch it on every possession -- all sorts of strange things happen in postseason baseball and if you get in, you're going to have a chance, especially if you have Darvish and Hamels at 100 percent. We'll see about that. I think Jon Daniels will buy as long as they have a chance. And if you're one game over .500, believe me, you have a chance.

Thoughts on fixing a bullpen at the deadline, rather than adding reinforcements...

TK: Every team out there looks to strengthen its bullpen this time of year and I'm telling you the common denominator of at least the last 30 years is you win in the postseason with a deep, versatile, overpowering bullpen, and that's what the Rangers -- they have to get to the point where they don't have a terrible bullpen. It's gotten a little better here lately. All sorts of teams are going to be after Addison Reed and guys like that with the Mets and it'll be up to Jon Daniels to make the best deal and bring in some help. Because I don't think they're going to the playoffs or doing anything in the playoffs unless they upgrade that bullpen.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team out there looks to strengthen its bullpen this time of year

Good reason why I don't want the Rangers to be buyers at the deadline. In my heart of hearts, I firmly believe they aren't going to the postseason this year, and the teams that will be are going to be paying a premium for bullpen help. I don't want the Rangers overpaying just to compete in the market.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good reason why I don't want the Rangers to be buyers at the deadline. In my heart of hearts, I firmly believe they aren't going to the postseason this year, and the teams that will be are going to be paying a premium for bullpen help. I don't want the Rangers overpaying just to compete in the market.
I want the Rangers to unload BP pieces to anyone dumb enough to take them. Only exception might be Leclerc.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported that Bush will no longer close.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported that Bush will no longer close.

He's obviously hit-the-wall, and consequently, lost his job.

That said, he's still a potentially excellent BP guy. After all, we've seen it before.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's obviously hit-the-wall, and consequently, lost his job.

That said, he's still a potentially excellent BP guy. After all, we've seen it before.
And the question is what happens to these young strong guys? Boston Blackie wasn't this mysterious.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get rid of the fucking bullpen roles, Banister. Not just for a month or a couple weeks. Use common fucking sense and use the best pitcher at the given time.
That was common years ago. Teams didn't have many relievers like today. To much science being implemented into the game. Just not needed. Pitch the hot hand. Not complicated.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well, yesterday is dead and gone. Got to solve Dutch today.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was common years ago. Teams didn't have many relievers like today. To much science being implemented into the game. Just not needed. Pitch the hot hand. Not complicated.

Actually it's the stats that are killing it. The save stat in particular.