• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Carlos Gomez

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I'm saying pitchers better now throw it high and tight in that case.

I think you need to go back and read my comment. I never advocated throwing at anyones head.

Yeah because there's a tremendous amount of difference between telling someone to throw it "high and tight" and at their head. :rollseyes: I guess by high and tight you meant it knee high and a little outside.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fordman is right here, he is going to be dealing with a lot of pitches that are high and tight and way middle in. If you showboat you are going to face the consequences. I know with you here Lemon Harang I better specify, this part. I do not condone throwing at players but it will happen when players do these kinds of antics. It's just part of the game, is it right, that's a matter of opinion, but it does happen you can't deny that Lemon.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was hilarious when he sprinted around the bases after hitting a homer against the Braves. But it isn't needed.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah because there's a tremendous amount of difference between telling someone to throw it "high and tight" and at their head. :rollseyes: I guess by high and tight you meant it knee high and a little outside.

I said if you don't want the guy to watch the HR, don't serve it up. I then said if you don't want one high and tight, don't stand and admire the HR.

But if you think that is me saying pitchers should throw it high and tight, that's your deal. :suds:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was hilarious when he sprinted around the bases after hitting a homer against the Braves. But it isn't needed.

lel, that stuff always makes me laugh. Or when that spaz Rosales sprints to first after a walk. :laugh3:

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said if you don't want the guy to watch the HR, don't serve it up. I then said if you don't want one high and tight, don't stand and admire the HR.

But if you think that is me saying pitchers should throw it high and tight, that's your deal. :suds:

Yeah. I saw what you wrote. Which is why I responded to it.

The idea of hurting someone because they admired a HR seems wrong to me. I think everyone here agrees that Carlos Gomez shouldn't go ape shit because someone says something to them. I just think it's odd that I'm all alone in condemning a pitcher going ape shit because someone watched a HR. That's all.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I saw what you wrote. Which is why I responded to it.

The idea of hurting someone because they admired a HR seems wrong to me. I think everyone here agrees that Carlos Gomez shouldn't go ape shit because someone says something to them. I just think it's odd that I'm all alone in condemning a pitcher going ape shit because someone watched a HR. That's all.

I didn't say that though. I said high and tight. Pitchers brush batters off the plate for much less than admiring a HR. It's a basic setup pitch for a lot of guys. High and tight for the most part stops around the shoulder blades anyways.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say that though. I said high and tight. Pitchers brush batters off the plate for much less than admiring a HR. It's a basic setup pitch for a lot of guys. High and tight for the most part stops around the shoulder blades anyways.

I'm starting to get the idea that Lemon doesn't watch baseball or he's just enjoying himself by twisting people's words to get the riled up. Best bet is to say good discussion and walk away. From this he will probably say something to the effect of: "that is a dumb set up pitch why would you condone a pitcher trying to throw a ball at a player to set up a pitch."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live high and tight as a slow-pitch softball pitcher.

That's a little less dangerous, though, if I don't place it right. :)

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The whole point of throwing "high and tight" is because that's where the head is and no one wants to get drilled there. Deliberately throwing at someone, especially at their head, should not be part of baseball. It should be an immediate ejection and serious suspension. Injuries happen enough on their own in sports yet this is just about the only instance where hurting someone is not only accepted but encouraged.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole point of throwing "high and tight" is because that's where the head is and no one wants to get drilled there. Deliberately throwing at someone, especially at their head, should not be part of baseball. It should be an immediate ejection and serious suspension. Injuries happen enough on their own in sports yet this is just about the only instance where hurting someone is not only accepted but encouraged.

Strong this.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It also makes low and away a more effective pitch. It lifts the hitters eyes and backs him off the plate, worsening his coverage of the low, outside portion of the strike zone.

I can't think of any aces off the top of my head who don't work inside a lot, and most of those guys work up when they work inside, especially to lefties, because it's the hardest location to extend on.

Toucanbird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewer fan here.

I don't condone or defend what Gomez did. In fact, I think Gomez was stupid for doing it because if he legs it out from the batters box, he probably ends up with an inside-the-parker. Gomez should know after what happened in Atlanta last year that people are paying attention to his antics.

As far as what he did, I think Cole is sort of an idiot for trash-talking on that. Gomez's antics essentially saved you an earned run. If nothing else, you owe Gomez a favor that he did something idiotic rather than trash-talking him for showboating.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with showboating or trash talking...depending on the severity of the acts. If a player is purposely rubbing it in the face of every player he passes trotting to home plate, okay, that is pretty uncalled for, but for a bat flip? C'mon. It's a freaking bat flip. Cole acted like Gomez insulted his family with the way he was taunting him when all he did was a frigging bat flip. Same goes for watching home runs. I lost a lot of respect for Brian McCann for what happened last year (as well as the Braves players yelling at Gomez to run). The guy runs the fastest home run trot in baseball. Trust me, Gomez has time to take a 10 second nap at home plate and would still beat most other people on their home run trots. As for trash talking, I'm okay with it it as long as the remarks aren't anti-Semitic. I don't know what Cole said to Gomez, but whatever it was, it sure pissed off Gomez. I'd say unless his remarks were incredibly racist or anti-Semitic, Gomez's reaction was completely uncalled for.

I think the unwritten rules in baseball are some of the stupidest things in sports, and I'm a baseball guy. Anytime I see players whining about other players breaking unwritten rules, I can't help but mock the sensitivity of these guys.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we know what Cole said to him yet? Did he berate him for showing him up, or was he making fun of him for admiring an 390 foot pop-fly?

Moneyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cole is a bitch but this would have been over if it wasn't for Martin/Snider. The ump had Gomez under control and Cole was walking away when Snider/Martin came running in and said something to Gomez that set him off.

Gomez even said that in the postgame how Cole and him were pretty much cool and had their say and then those two had to come in and start shit.

It's funny though because Tabata did the same thing as Gomez in Thursday's game (they were up by 4 and pitcher making his second ever appearance was in) and Tabata showboated a ball that hit off the wall for a double. Brewers didn't make a big deal out of it. I think a lot of the frustration has to do with how the Brewers pretty much always kill the Pirates.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brewer fan here.

I don't condone or defend what Gomez did. In fact, I think Gomez was stupid for doing it because if he legs it out from the batters box, he probably ends up with an inside-the-parker. Gomez should know after what happened in Atlanta last year that people are paying attention to his antics.

As far as what he did, I think Cole is sort of an idiot for trash-talking on that. Gomez's antics essentially saved you an earned run. If nothing else, you owe Gomez a favor that he did something idiotic rather than trash-talking him for showboating.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with showboating or trash talking...depending on the severity of the acts. If a player is purposely rubbing it in the face of every player he passes trotting to home plate, okay, that is pretty uncalled for, but for a bat flip? C'mon. It's a freaking bat flip. Cole acted like Gomez insulted his family with the way he was taunting him when all he did was a frigging bat flip. Same goes for watching home runs. I lost a lot of respect for Brian McCann for what happened last year (as well as the Braves players yelling at Gomez to run). The guy runs the fastest home run trot in baseball. Trust me, Gomez has time to take a 10 second nap at home plate and would still beat most other people on their home run trots. As for trash talking, I'm okay with it it as long as the remarks aren't anti-Semitic. I don't know what Cole said to Gomez, but whatever it was, it sure pissed off Gomez. I'd say unless his remarks were incredibly racist or anti-Semitic, Gomez's reaction was completely uncalled for.

I think the unwritten rules in baseball are some of the stupidest things in sports, and I'm a baseball guy. Anytime I see players whining about other players breaking unwritten rules, I can't help but mock the sensitivity of these guys.

I said the same thing earlier and totally agree he is lucky they won the game.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's on your team you like him... if not you dislike him. Kind of like Nyger Morgan when he was in the league.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's on your team you like him... if not you dislike him. Kind of like Nyger Morgan when he was in the league.

Well sort of. I didn't like Nyger Morgan when he was a Pirate. :)

But if Gomez was a Pirate I would be totally fine with that, he is Jose Tabata with actual talent.

Side note I am surprised Morgan excepted his assignment to AAA with the Indians.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as him not running right away. Did anyone not see that Gomez said "I thought it was going to be caught?"