• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Carlos Gomez

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I don't get, to the Gomez defenders (for lack of a better term), if Gomez is free to celebrate, and we should be ok with that. Why isn't Cole free to trash talk? The quote above is from the article, but that quote (and accompanying article) would leave me to believe we should be ok with both.

To me, if he wants to do that stuff, then be prepared to have someone say something. Reacting like Gomez did, just make it clear who the asshole was in the situation, and that is Gomez.

Fair enough. This whole thing is stupid.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I don't get, to the Gomez defenders (for lack of a better term), if Gomez is free to celebrate, and we should be ok with that. Why isn't Cole free to trash talk?

To me, if he wants to do that stuff, then be prepared to have someone say something. Reacting like Gomez did, just make it clear who the asshole was in the situation, and that is Gomez.

I think Gomez should be able to celebrate and Cole should be able to trash talk. Gomez should have known better and walked away and there shouldn't have been anything physical altercation. That's the way I see it. I am not defending Gomez for what he did after Cole said something but the fact is if he wanted to flip his bat or stand there is on him. It's the pitchers job to get him out, Gomez should have ran but standing there watching shouldn't be some crime, that's just archaic. Gomez started it , I am certainly not denying that. If he gets some suspension so be it. I was just glad to see Rickie Weeks finally do something. At least he got someone in a headlock , its the most I've seen him do in a long long time. I've been on his case and was glad to see him step up in some fashion even it's a double arm bar take down.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gomez should be able to celebrate and Cole should be able to trash talk. Gomez should have known better and walked away and there shouldn't have been anything physical altercation. That's the way I see it. I am not defending Gomez for what he did after Cole said something but the fact is if he wanted to flip his bat or stand there is on him. It's the pitchers job to get him out, Gomez should have ran but standing there watching shouldn't be some crime, that's just archaic. Gomez started it , I am certainly not denying that. If he gets some suspension so be it. I was just glad to see Rickie Weeks finally do something. At least he got someone in a headlock , its the most I've seen him do in a long long time. I've been on his case and was glad to see him step up in some fashion even it's a double arm bar take down.

Fair enough, for his own good someone needs to take him aside, his postgame comments indicated he thought the whole fight was Travis Snider's fault, seriously.

But yea, I don't have a problem with the bat flip, just be prepared because some guys aren't gonna like it, while some guys won't care. Just the way it is.

Lol, yeah its crazy how far Weeks has fallen.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I would say is if any of you non Brewer fans had Gomez on your team you'd say you like the guy. To me he's Charlie Hustle, he fields well, he runs hard and he has some power, oh and some fight in him too. He isn't afraid of diving for a ball or crashing the fence to try and make a play. He runs the bases lot a out like a mad man. He's 6'4" 240 and I can only imagine what kind of football player he would have been. I'm sure just like Jean Segura he came up having nothing, probably poor as hell.

I grew up rooting for the Cubs for 40 years, being that they were in the National League and the Brewers were in the American I grew to root for both teams being from Wisconsin. When they switched over to the National League I just sort of rooted for both.

Then there came a day when I watched Alfonso Soriano jogging after a misplayed ball, Carlos Zambrano fighting with his own team-mates in the dug out and Lou Pinella sleeping in the dug out during the game. After that I said why the fuck am I rooting for these dogs. Never rooted for them another day. At least I knew the Brewers would play hard and fight. Never regretted it for one second. The Cubs were destined to go another lifetime without anything to show for it. Glad to be a Brewer fan.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm sure he is someone to love when he is on your team no doubt.

Yeah, those Cubs were a mess, with Theo I think they have a chance to turn it around. The whole NL Central is gonna be a tough division for a while.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs will never win. They should have let the old guy bring his goat into the ball park and they wouldn't have to live with a century of the curse. I was hoping some day they would win one for my Pa but realized that was just dreaming. The bad part is the Cardinals are about as good of an organization in all of professional sports.They sort of remind me of the Packers, they're just always good. I always root for the Pirates when they're not playing my Brewers. I remember the days of Stargell and Clemente and those funny hats. Even later years with Barry Bonds, Andy Van Slyke and Bobby Bonilla. I know most of you are too young to remember but they really had some talent back then.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't want to get a pitch high and tight, don't watch your HR.

Personally, I think the rules should allow batters to bash a pitchers' skull in with a bat.

A pitcher should have to sign a wavier or something. I mean, if you don't want to get your skull bashed in then don't pitch high and tight, right?

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think the rules should allow batters to bash a pitchers' skull in with a bat.

A pitcher should have to sign a wavier or something. I mean, if you don't want to get your skull bashed in then don't pitch high and tight, right?

Whoa, where is this coming from? Sounds like some serious pent of anger issues.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shame he had to suck ass with the Twins.

When he was with us him and cliff lee got into it just about every game they faces each other for Gomez bunting and what not. These instances seemed to be mostly on Lee but in hindsight you see GO GO is a lunatic(keep in mind he also smells his bat and talks to it).

I also saw a game this year where he did his bat flip on a routine sac fly. Announcer even
Laughed and pointed out how it's the most pimped sac fly you will ever see.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa, where is this coming from? Sounds like some serious pent of anger issues.

It's funny how that comes off as anger yet the whole throwing "high and tight" thing is just considered business as usual in baseball. I was being facetious, of course, but the latter is so prevalent and accepted that no one bats an eye at it. The irony is that the only people who ever seem to celebrate anything baseball are the pitchers.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest showboating is part of the game. And going back to what I was saying earlier honestly no issue with what Gomez did and yeah who wouldn't want him on their team? I wonder though what are his hitting splits at home vs away?

He truly should just be happy they won the game because if he did hussle the whole way that would have been a run no matter what. He has the speed to get around the bases and probably would have been rounding first or a little further when that ball hit the wall.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I would say is if any of you non Brewer fans had Gomez on your team you'd say you like the guy. To me he's Charlie Hustle, he fields well, he runs hard and he has some power, oh and some fight in him too. He isn't afraid of diving for a ball or crashing the fence to try and make a play. He runs the bases lot a out like a mad man. He's 6'4" 240 and I can only imagine what kind of football player he would have been. I'm sure just like Jean Segura he came up having nothing, probably poor as hell.

I grew up rooting for the Cubs for 40 years, being that they were in the National League and the Brewers were in the American I grew to root for both teams being from Wisconsin. When they switched over to the National League I just sort of rooted for both.

Then there came a day when I watched Alfonso Soriano jogging after a misplayed ball, Carlos Zambrano fighting with his own team-mates in the dug out and Lou Pinella sleeping in the dug out during the game. After that I said why the fuck am I rooting for these dogs. Never rooted for them another day. At least I knew the Brewers would play hard and fight. Never regretted it for one second. The Cubs were destined to go another lifetime without anything to show for it. Glad to be a Brewer fan.

Yeah the Cubs suck and we can all agree on that! :)

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how that comes off as anger yet the whole throwing "high and tight" thing is just considered business as usual in baseball. I was being facetious, of course, but the latter is so prevalent and accepted that no one bats an eye at it. The irony is that the only people who ever seem to celebrate anything baseball are the pitchers.

I said high and tight, not head hunting. You actually hit a guy in the head because you were trying to brush him back, you should be run through the ringer. If you can't control the pitch, don't try a brushback or keep it low.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a baseball fan for a long long time and never believed in or like their old unspoken rules. I liked it when Reggie Jackson stood and watched his home run fly off. I pitched when I was young and never once thought of throwing at the next batter for what the previous batter did. I just think some of these old unspoken rules are idiotic. I do believe if you throw at my guy I will do the same, that's one of those I think is a must. I honestly don't see what the big deal about the showboating is. You make a bad pitch live with it. If he hit and far and wants to watch it I say amen, he hit it. Gomez was wrong yesterday by starting the physical altercation, the rest I couldn't care less about.
Reggie would first fling the bat "with authority" back towards his teams on deck circle and then watch it. All kids imitated this in their backyards or wherever. I don't ever recall him getting thrown at or a pitcher crying about it to the press.

Some pitchers feelings get hurt easier than others.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said high and tight, not head hunting. You actually hit a guy in the head because you were trying to brush him back, you should be run through the ringer. If you can't control the pitch, don't try a brushback or keep it low.

So you want pitchers to throw high and tight but not head hunt? :nod:

It's great that you want to put a pitcher who does hit a guy in the head "through the ringer" but where does the guy who was hit go? The Emergency Room? 60 day DL?

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want pitchers to throw high and tight but not head hunt.

It's great that you want to put a pitcher who does hit a guy in the head "through the ringer" but where does the guy who was hit go? The Emergency Room? 60 day DL?

Want? No. But if you do, you better control it. Not everyone who gets a brush back gets plunked in the head.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Want? No. But if you do, you better control it. Not everyone who gets a brush back gets plunked in the head.

Baseball wouldn't be much of a game if pitchers actually had that type of control, would it?

Sure, not everyone's career ends from throwing at the head but that's hardly a ringing endorsement for it. Especially when your justification seems to be as shallow as "well, he stared at his home run for at least two seconds". Maybe pitchers could just learn to swallow their pride a bit.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball wouldn't be much of a game if pitchers actually had that type of control, would it?

Sure, not everyone's career ends from throwing at the head but that's hardly a ringing endorsement for it. Especially when your justification seems to be as shallow as "well, he stared at his home run for at least two seconds". Maybe pitchers could just learn to swallow their pride a bit.

Then I'm saying pitchers better now throw it high and tight in that case.

I think you need to go back and read my comment. I never advocated throwing at anyones head.