• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

this was the best for Alex Smith

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex Smiths legacy in San Francisco is basically written now. In my mind I think 2 things. We would not be where we are today with him at quarterback. He would not be the beloved hero he is to 49er fans with him failing to reach the Super Bowl. But with the way he played this year, and the way he has handled himself, he has set himself up to succeed else where and he has recreated his career and image in San Francisco. In many ways, Alex Smith's career and image has never been better. I'm not so sure he could have improved it either.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this a few times and it's predictable from me, but I think it's obvious to me that Smith wouldn't have overcome the 17-0 deficit, it's not like the 23 point Philadelphia game in the regular season. It's obvious that Kaep's the better QB in many respects, not just running.

However, it's not a sure thing that we would go three and out the first two drives with Smith with a different gameplan. It's possible because Smith's drives have stalled, too. But, we could have had Gore run more with Smith as the QB and gotten first downs. Checkdowns sometimes have YAC, sometimes independent of the QB. So we could still be here with Smith if the gameplan were different. We could also have lost, too. So, I won't be assuming things, I'll just go with what I see and I see that Kaep was good enough in his 2nd year to lead us there.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But your overall message is correct to me. We are in the Super Bowl, all Smith could have done is match or lose. I don't think he'd have done it in a way that made us think differently about him, because I don't think he'd have done it from 17 down and he certainly wouldn't have done it in the way Kaep did it. It would have been the defense, running team and coaching, last year and this year. I feel the same about him as I would had KW returned the kick for a TD last year (requiring no more good play by Smith).

As a person who followed him since college and followed the Niners since I was a kid, it worked out for me, too (I'm only talking about this year and maybe a little of last year). Alex lost his job due to some things he didn't do and his limitations compared to Kaep and in general. But I would have hated it if he had done it in a struggling way - i.e. 10 TDs, 10 INTs, 58% completion, 5.9 YPA, etc. This way, the reasons that Kaep is better is well, Kaep being better. The reason Kaep got his opportunity was the concussion. And the reason Kaep remained, was his play.

I think if Alex had won the Atlanta and GB game, this game would be more up in the air. I wouldn't count our team out, but you know what I mean. But now, he can't lose (barring injury, but that also comes with the chance of winning). If I thought there was something that he could do to prove all people wrong, I'd disagree with you, but this is the best way for him to move on. If we had somehow won with the defense, running team, and coaches, Alex may think he's set here and then have Kaep take over in training camp. A full year on the pine. Of course, a loss to Atlanta with him as QB and this is worse.

Last edited by a moderator: