• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Offseason Has Sucked

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There Is No Jerryworld Pot Of Gold | mgoblog
CSLP will … pay $4,700,000 to Michigan. The team acknowledges that the Team Guarantee constitutes the sole financial compensation for the Team for playing the Game, and that no other compensation will be due or owed to the Team under this Agreement in connection with the Game. … The parties acknowledge that the Team may be entitled to compensation from its conference related to broadcast of the game. CSLP … will … retain all other revenues from the game. CSLP and ESPN acknowledge and agree that (a) all rights to telecast of distribute the programs of the Games have been assigned by Michigan to the Big Ten (b) Michigan has no ability to grant to ESPN any rights for telecast or distribution of Games played pursuant to this agreement and c) as between Michigan and ESPN, ESPN is responsible for obtaining such rights from the Big Ten. Notwithstanding the forgoing, if ESPN has the broadcast rights [they can get a title sponsor, etc.
So in 2012, Michigan collected a flat payment of $4.7M, which the blogger figures to be roughly equivalent to playing a body-bag game at home.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More likely, when you agree to a neutral site game, you agree to a flat payout by the promoter. And then the promoter keeps the gate and everything else over expenses.

You can bet your butt that Jerry Jones is not pimping out Jerry World as a humanitarian effort.

I'm sure they make up for it in things like ticket costs and concessions. They are big game matchups so I'm sure they have no trouble charging a good bit more for the tickets than what a school would normally charge for a game.

There Is No Jerryworld Pot Of Gold | mgoblog

So in 2012, Michigan collected a flat payment of $4.7M, which the blogger figures to be roughly equivalent to playing a body-bag game at home.

Yep, so do that 2 years in a row instead of every other year and it equals out to more money.

And Alabama still plays 7 home games anyway.

End result is more money. Obviously the AD's aren't in the charity business either.

But the money isn't even the best part as a fan, it's just the reason why they do it. The best part for me as a fan is all the different teams we get to play. Case in point is Michigan St was a home and home scheduled for 2016 and 2017 and instead we get USC and FSU. Much better.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, so do that 2 years in a row instead of every other year and it equals out to more money.
Yes and no. No one is scheduling body bag game as "home and home." But then again, the kinds of teams that warrant home-and-home contracts are not providing the same kind of pay day that a body bag opponent at home will.

There are clearly a lot more variables. One that has not bee discussed pertains to recruiting. If you can tell a kid he will get to play at Jerry World, it provides an incentive not every school can offer. The same kind of thing is true when a school as a road game to Hawaii on the schedule (although that might be becoming less common.)

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. No one is scheduling body bag game as "home and home." But then again, the kinds of teams that warrant home-and-home contracts are not providing the same kind of pay day that a body bag opponent at home will.

There are clearly a lot more variables. One that has not bee discussed pertains to recruiting. If you can tell a kid he will get to play at Jerry World, it provides an incentive not every school can offer. The same kind of thing is true when a school as a road game to Hawaii on the schedule (although that might be becoming less common.)

Alabama's cheapest ticket is $50 for FCS game and $100 for the LSU game with a variety in between.

That comes out to about $5 million at the gate for the FCS and about $10 million at the game for the LSU game. Those would be minimums I'm guessing, but the max isn't going to be a ton more. And then you have concessions and other revenues, but also lots of expenses which is an unknown factor.

But the concessions and other revenues are basically going to be about the same for each game, so the only real difference in revenue for the game is the extra $5 million in ticket sales if all tickets kept the $50 difference. I'm honestly not sure what the average for that would be, and then you have student tickets that are much cheaper, season tickets which are much cheaper(per game, I'm not counting the donations required to be allow to get them in the first place as that cost would be there anyway) and so on.

And we actually still have more home games than Oklahoma next year(6 + 1 neutral) and the same amount as Nebraska(7).

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revenue for concessions alone is near $1 million. Maybe more.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Minnesota Golden Gophers AD Norwood Teague faces third harassment complaint
A Minneapolis sportswriter says former Minnesota athletic director Norwood Teague, who resigned Friday amid allegations of sexual harassment involving two university employees, also made sexual advances toward her.

Amelia Rayno, the Gophers men's basketball reporter for the Star Tribune, is the third woman to accuse Teague of sexual harassment in recent days. In a column published on the paper's site Sunday night, Rayno said Teague touched and harassed her and then got into a cab with her and continued to accost her during an incident on Dec. 13, 2013, that began as a simple drink arranged on professional terms.

"So I agreed to have that drink," Rayno wrote. "But this December night was different. Teague asked me about my longtime boyfriend, as he often did. My mistake was acknowledging that we had just broken up. The switch flipped. Suddenly, in a public and crowded bar, Teague tried to throw his arm around me. He poked my side. He pinched my hip. He grabbed at me. Stunned and mortified, I swatted his advances and firmly told him to stop. He didn't."

She said Teague's behavior escalated.

"'Don't deny,' he said, 'our chemistry.' I told him that he was drastically off base, that my only intention in being there was as a reporter -- to which he replied: 'You're all strictly business? Nothing else?' I walked out. He followed me. I hailed a cab. He followed me in, grabbing at my arm and scooting closer and closer in the dark back cabin until I was pressed against the door. I told him to stop. I told him it was not OK. He laughed. When I reached my apartment, I vomited. Later that night he texted: 'Night strictly bitness.' The incident wasn't the first with Teague."

Rayno said Teague had also sent her suggestive text messages prior to that night. The two university employees who'd previously accused Teague of sexual harassment cited similar behavior by the former athletic director. On Friday, the university released redacted transcripts of sexually explicit text messages Teague had sent to one of the women in the incidents that led to his resignation.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is kind of strange wording there. Are they thinking of going to a nine game conf schedule?
That's the excuse that Alabama put out there so they wouldn't look bad for backing out of the deal. No, the SEC is not looking at going to a 9 game schedule. At the time of the cancelation, the previous year it was voted on and only one program voting for a 9 game conference schedule, Alabama. There was absolutely no chance that this was going to change and on the next vote, again, it was one sole vote for the 9 game conference schedule.

This series was canceled because Alabama wanted to have their home game in 2016 and rather than going to East Lansing in 2017, do a neutral site game. Michigan State refused to do things by Alabama's new terms and instead wanted the originally agreed upon terms, so Alabama backed out.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The local economy is one of the lamest excuses ever. As if the football team or university has some duty to the local economy, or as if they don't already do more than enough to help it.

Furthermore, it's bullshit that you or anyone else actually gives a fuck about the local economy in such a way and in the end it's really nothing more than an excuse to support whatever existing opinions/bias you may already have, which is EXTREMELY the case when it comes to the TX/OU game.

And color me shocked that you believe the neutral site games Oklahoma plays in gets a pass for you.
2008-02-07_195848_PeeWeeHerman-1-749569.jpg

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet they have built-in kneepads and a zipper in the back.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: FSU LB Matthew Thomas declared ineligible for all of 2015 | CollegeFootballTalk
To say that Matthew Thomas‘ time in Tallahassee has been adventurous would be a rather sizable understatement. And, unfortunately, that adventure continues.

A five-star member of Florida State’s 2013 recruiting class who apparently preferred USC even as his mom didn’t, and whowanted a release to transfer to either USC or Georgia in May of that year, Thomas ultimately decided to stick with the Seminoles… and promptly saw his true freshman season wiped out by a shoulder injury. The following season, Thomas was suspended for the first month and a half of the year because of an unspecified violation of team rules and then had ankle issues when he returned; he missed part of spring practice this year with another shoulder injury, and was ruled out of summer camp because of the same issue.

Now, it appears, Thomas won’t play at all in 2015 regardless of how the shoulder is progressing as Warchant.com, citing two FSU sources, is reporting that Thomas has been declared ineligible for the entire 2015 season. No reason was given for the eligibility issue, and FSU has yet to publicly address any issue Thomas may be facing.

It doesn’t appear as if the program is ready to move on from Thomas, though, as the Rivals.com website writes that “[a] Florida State source indicated that the staff is still hopeful that the redshirt sophomore will be able to return to the team next spring.” He would then have two seasons of eligibility remaining to attempt to resurrect what was once thought to be a promising career.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB Duke Catalon decides to leave Texas, too | CollegeFootballTalk
Both Scout.com and 247Sports.com are reporting that Duke Catalon has decided to leave Charlie Strong‘s football program and transfer elsewhere. Speculation has been growing of late that Catalon wasn’t pleased with his positioning on the running back depth chart and could be looking to bolt.

As was the case with Cherry, UT has yet to publicly address Catalon’s status with the Longhorns. The redshirt freshman could be headed for the University of Houston, 247Sports.com reports.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Texas Tech lineman transfers to UNT | CollegeFootballTalk
Seven months after leaving the Big 12, Trey Keenan has landed in Conference USA — without having to leave the state of Texas.

Citing a source with knowledge of the situation, Brett Vito of the Denton Chronicle reported over the weekend that Keenan had transferred into the North Texas football program. The Mean Green has subsequently added Keenan’s name to the team’s official online roster.

Because of NCAA transfer rules, Keenan will be forced to sit out the 2015 season. He would then have one year of eligibility to use in 2016.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury could cost Vols starting G Marcus Jackson entire 2015 season | CollegeFootballTalk
A report surfaced Monday that Jackson had sustained an arm injury and would be sidelined for eight weeks or a little more. While the specific injury was correct, the timeline wasn’t as Butch Jonesacknowledged Tuesday that the offensive lineman could miss the entire 2015 regular season.

The head coach added that the fifth-year senior could return for the very end of the regular season or the Vols’ bowl game should they qualify for one. This is Jackson’s final season of eligibility, meaning his career would be over if he never steps foot on the field again.