• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Offseason Has Sucked

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get more money with neutral site games because they pay both years instead of 1.
Please explain.

I would think that having the game at your place would generate more revenue for your team. Vice versa.

Neutral site games would result in the neutral site getting a good chunk of the monies.....no?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please explain.

I would think that having the game at your place would generate more revenue for your team. Vice versa.

Neutral site games would result in the neutral site getting a good chunk of the monies.....no?

As I understand it, usually when teams do a home and home they basically keep the money for their home games, with maybe some compensation for travel at best.

So what happens with home and homes is you get paid only when you are the home team. The other year, you don't get much of anything.

While if you instead do 2 neutral site games in a row, you get paid both years.

The neutral site games invite the teams that play and pay them enough to make it worth it.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I understand it, usually when teams do a home and home they basically keep the money for their home games, with maybe some compensation for travel at best.
This was a model invented by Notre Dame and Michigan when they met twice in the 1940s. Before that, teams typically split the gate 50/50.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dismissed by Hokies, C.J. Reavis looks to restart career at JUCO | CollegeFootballTalk
With his career at the FBS level, at least temporarily, at the end of the road, C.J. Reavis will look at a lower level of football in an effort to restart his collegiate playing career and repair a reputation that, right or wrong, has been damaged.

On his Twitter account this past week, Reavis (pictured, No. 21) announced that he will be playing football in 2015 at East Mississippi Community College. His high school coach had previously confirmed that to be his destination as well.

Should Reavis, a four-star 2014 prospect, decide to return to the FBS level in 2016, he would have three seasons of eligibility.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Favorite to start at center for Arizona likely out for all of 2015 | CollegeFootballTalk
The favorite to anchor the center of Arizona’s offensive line this season likely won’t see the field at all, Rich Rodriguez acknowledged Saturday.

Carter Wood is dealing with a chronic foot injury that’s gotten worse since the start of summer camp earlier this month. Because of that, Rodriguez said, it’s doubtful the lineman will play at all in 2015.

“It doesn’t look like Carter is going to be able to play at all,” the head coach said. “Carter, I don’t know if he can play at all this season. I feel bad for him. Right now, it doesn’t look good.”

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bizarre off-field injury costs Buffs Tyler Henington 2nd straight season | CollegeFootballTalk
Sometimes the football gods can be cruel and unyielding. Case in point: Colorado’sTyler Henington.

The defensive lineman missed all of the 2014 season after tearing ligaments in one of his knees in summer camp a week or so before the first game. Less than a week before the start of this year’s camp, Henington sustained yet another leg injury that will cost him a second consecutive season.

It’s the nature in which he suffered this one, though, that’s bizarre. And downright sad, actually.

From the Boulder Daily Camera:

Coach Mike MacIntyre said Henington was walking home from getting a sushi dinner with fellow Buff John Tuso last week when they stopped to talk on the sidewalk. At one point Henington shifted his weight, lost his balance and stepped in a hole, breaking his ankle and fibula.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SMU loses potential key piece of OL puzzle for the season | CollegeFootballTalk
SMU had hopes of Seaver Myers being a rising star along the offensive line because of his improvement as a sophomore last season. As a junior, the lineman will be watching the Mustangs from the sidelines.

In a potentially big blow to SMU’s line in both depth and talent, first-year head coach Chad Morris announced that Myers will not play at all this coming season because of an injury. Morris would only say that Myer’s upcoming absence was medically-related and declined to divulge any of the specifics of how or when the injury surfaced.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregons Thomas Tyner to miss all of 2015 after shoulder surgery | CollegeFootballTalk
The father of Thomas Tyner confirmed Sunday to CSNNW.com‘s Aaron Fentressthat his son underwent successful shoulder surgery this past Friday. Tynersustained an injury to his shoulder last season, with the lingering pain and discomfort over the last several months leading to the procedure.

Unfortunately for both the running back and the team, Tyner will miss the entire 2015 season as he rehabs from the surgery.

Tyner was second among Duck running backs last season with 573 yards rushing and five touchdowns. The good news for UO is its leading rusher,Royce Freeman (1,365, 18), returns. Additionally, Byron Marshall could be moved back to receiver if the need arises.

Marshall was the team’s leading rusher in 2013 before moving to receiver. He ended up being the Ducks’ leading receiver in receptions and yards in 2014.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mono could sideline Sparty CB Darian Hicks for Ducks game | CollegeFootballTalk
A non-football-related health issue could have an impact on a highly-anticipated non-conference matchup the second week of the season.

Michigan State’s Mark Dantonio revealed Saturday that Darian Hicks has been diagnosed with a case of mononucleosis and will be sidelined indefinitely. According to the Spartans head coach, the cornerback did fine in his conditioning test Thursday, then came down sick the following morning.

“You know, it could be three weeks, four weeks, five weeks,” Dantonio said after MSU opened summer camp yesterday. “The main focus has got to be what’s best for him and his health. … Just got to deal with it.”

A four-week absence would place his availability for the opener against Western Michigan in jeopardy. More crucially, the five-week timeframe would leave his availability for the following week’s game against Oregon.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terps officially add Hokie transfer Melvin Keihn | CollegeFootballTalk
A handful of days after Melvin Keihn took to Twitter to announce a move to Maryland, that football program has made it official.

The Terps confirmed via a press release that Keihn (pictured, No. 51) has indeed been added to the roster for the 2015 season. While he’ll have to sit this coming one out to satisfy NCAA transfer rules, he will have three years of eligibility remaining starting next year.

In addition to Keihn, the school also announced that former Towson kickerDaniel Sutton has been added as a transfer as well.

“We are excited to welcome Melvin and Daniel to the Maryland football program,” head coach Randy Edsall said in a statement. “Melvin has strong local ties to the area and it’s great he will be continuing to play football and further his education in College Park.”

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So what happens with home and homes is you get paid only when you are the home team. The other year, you don't get much of anything.

The neutral site games invite the teams that play and pay them enough to make it worth it.
The effect on the surrounding economy would also need to be taken into account I guess.

I know in Norman on gamedays, it is like the 3rd or 4th biggest city in the state. Over 100,000 people spending money in the city that otherwise wouldn't be there.

That has been one of the biggest reasons the whoevers around here and down there have floated the idea of ou/tx doing home and homes occasionally.

Other than rivalries, I think neutral site games are shit unless it's a bowl.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This makes no sense what-so-ever. When you're the home team you keep your gate. On a neutral site the other team gets half. Sounds like a push in two years.

Not to mention the concessions you'd get at your own place and the boost to the local economy. Hotels, restaurants, local vendors, etc...

Pimping the economic benefits of a neutral site sounds more like rationalization to me. Rationalizing why Alabama doesn't want to play a true road game against a bigger named opponent.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The effect on the surrounding economy would also need to be taken into account I guess.

I know in Norman on gamedays, it is like the 3rd or 4th biggest city in the state. Over 100,000 people spending money in the city that otherwise wouldn't be there.

That has been one of the biggest reasons the whoevers around here and down there have floated the idea of ou/tx doing home and homes occasionally.

Other than rivalries, I think neutral site games are shit unless it's a bowl.

The local economy is one of the lamest excuses ever. As if the football team or university has some duty to the local economy, or as if they don't already do more than enough to help it.

Furthermore, it's bullshit that you or anyone else actually gives a fuck about the local economy in such a way and in the end it's really nothing more than an excuse to support whatever existing opinions/bias you may already have, which is EXTREMELY the case when it comes to the TX/OU game.

And color me shocked that you believe the neutral site games Oklahoma plays in gets a pass for you.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes no sense what-so-ever. When you're the home team you keep your gate. On a neutral site the other team gets half. Sounds like a push in two years.
More likely, when you agree to a neutral site game, you agree to a flat payout by the promoter. And then the promoter keeps the gate and everything else over expenses.

You can bet your butt that Jerry Jones is not pimping out Jerry World as a humanitarian effort.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not to mention the concessions you'd get at your own place and the boost to the local economy. Hotels, restaurants, local vendors, etc...

Pimping the economic benefits of a neutral site sounds more like rationalization to me. Rationalizing why Alabama doesn't want to play a true road game against a bigger named opponent.

Even back in 2009 Alabama was getting over $5,000,000 to play a neutral site game. Which means in order for the home game to be more profitable, it would need to generate between 10-12 million in profit per home game.

And here's a news flash - Alabama has the same amount of home games either way. A neutral site game doesn't remove a home game from the schedule, it removes an away game.

So you are full of shit.