• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: There's no place like home: Rangers host A's 7/25-7/27

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Nick pitches a gem tomorrow night.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how does that play out in his performance in your opinion though. I think we have had some mental midgets give us some pretty good performances down through the years and then others have failed miserably. Was his stuff and performance tonight good enough to be the 4th or 5th pitcher on a playoff team?
His last three innings were good but that first inning error his body language was terrible. To Bannister's credit he kept pitching him and he turned it around in the fourth. If it's between he and Holland for the fourth pitcher in a playoff series? I'd go with Holland.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Nick pitches a gem tomorrow night.
That would be just what the doctor ordered. Maybe he will at least get us into or through the 7th with only giving up 3 runs.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay guys, I have been out all evening and didn't get to watch or listen to the game. Give me the verdict on Perez. I noticed he gave up 3 earned runs in 6 innings, but I know sometimes he gets the blame for the unearned ones as well. Overall what did you think of his performance.

The one unearned run was on a HR after EA didnt get them out of the inning by making a bad throw to 1st, but the 2 run HR was on Perez. He made a bad pitch instead of bearing down and just getting the next guy. He cant let the misplays affect his focus. He didnt pitch well again, Ill just say that. He gets credit for a QS but it really wasn't

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how does that play out in his performance in your opinion though. I think we have had some mental midgets give us some pretty good performances down through the years and then others have failed miserably. Was his stuff and performance tonight good enough to be the 4th or 5th pitcher on a playoff team?
He was the typical mental midget in innings 1-3 and then settled down and had a fairly solid 4-6. So he was good enough to beat Oakland on a random night in July. But against Boston or Baltimore in October, that would have been a loss. He is still nowhere good enough for a playoff rotation spot. The error in inning 1 on Andrus rattled him, and he grooved the very next pitch to Valencia for a 2-run bomb. For the difference in how a playoff vs. non-playoff starter handles that situation, look at how Cole Hamels overcame two errors in one inning against the Royals and still came away unscathed. Then Perez gave up multiple doubles in inning 3 on a bunch of meat pitches. Once he gained his composure, he was ok.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for those who don't believe that it's an issue with Perez, Emily Jones just specifically asked him about whether he is still struggling with keeping his emotions in check and not letting it affect his performance, and he said he is still struggling with it but working on it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the typical mental midget in innings 1-3 and then settled down and had a fairly solid 4-6. So he was good enough to beat Oakland on a random night in July. But against Boston or Baltimore in October, that would have been a loss. He is still nowhere good enough for a playoff rotation spot. The error in inning 1 on Andrus rattled him, and he grooved the very next pitch to Valencia for a 2-run bomb. For the difference in how a playoff vs. non-playoff starter handles that situation, look at how Cole Hamels overcame two errors in one inning against the Royals and still came away unscathed. Then Perez gave up multiple doubles in inning 3 on a bunch of meat pitches. Once he gained his composure, he was ok.
I wonder what a more veteran catcher could do for him in that capacity. Sure, he shouldn't need it, but I wonder if that would help. Maybe Banister should take it upon himself when a mound visit is needed to talk to him kinda like Wash used to do with Derek on occasion.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for those who don't believe that it's an issue with Perez, Emily Jones just specifically asked him about whether he is still struggling with keeping his emotions in check and not letting it affect his performance, and he said he is still struggling with it but working on it.
Well, it is huge that he realizes it and knows something needs to be done. That is a step that a lot of guys would never reach.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He should've been out of the first with no problem, had a moment, but then came out and let things continue, but then was pretty solid the rest of the way

Still doesn't strike out enough guys when he gets them to 2 strikes,

He's a 4 to me, but I trust him more than Griffin long term

Really need Lewis back

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No one ever doubted that, I've just never seen him on the mound pouting and throwing a fit like you say he does

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should've been out of the first with no problem, had a moment, but then came out and let things continue, but then was pretty solid the rest of the way

Still doesn't strike out enough guys when he gets them to 2 strikes,

He's a 4 to me, but I trust him more than Griffin long term

Really need Lewis back
You are right, we need Colby back and pitching like he was before the DL stint. Really has hurt us having him out.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope so too. Counting on him being creative.
Wonder if Fielder may play a part in this. Doubtful but who knows what goes on behind the scenes. And KC lost tonight and looks more and more like sellers.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeSclafani not doing well tonight but Bruce has 2 more HRs. He is on fire right now.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one ever doubted that, I've just never seen him on the mound pouting and throwing a fit like you say he does

Im the one that says he has seemed pouty after defensive miscues or when he hasn't gotten calls, but tonight I didnt see that after the EA error. It just appeared he wasn't focused at all on getting the next guy in Valencia and just threw a meatball up there, instead of bearing down and going after him with quality pitches

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeSclafani not doing well tonight but Bruce has 2 more HRs. He is on fire right now.

I don't think the Bruce option ever had much in the way of "legs". Not sure if the Reds move Disco either. To me the Santana and/or Volquez options make sense