• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

There will be no Spring College Football season

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OP is right.
Spring football is just a concept to give people hope, who are upset at cancellations.
Right! Just like when I asked my Grammie if I would get some cash before she kicked it. She said she would think about it and get back to me. She kicked it

stubborn old bag did that on purpose

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only possible way a spring season would work is if all P5 conferences sit out the fall, and come up with a bubble. But they aren't. I honestly don't think the P3 will last the whole way because of pressure from the public. Let one school get a 4 positive cases during a game week and you will see an attack of sea gulls calling for the cancellation of all sports this fall.

If they manage to pull it off and have a CFP, it sets them up to have an advantageous spring period over the other conferences that attempt to give it a go. While the spring season is being played, the other conferences will be doing it's usual winter conditioning program, leading into the spring practices and spring games.

So even if the Big 12 has to pull the plug before game 1 or after game 9.. I'm in favor of NOT having a spring season. Save the resources, time and energy for Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, Soccer, Swimming and baseball.

The word Spring is meaningless in this case. The season could start in late February. Ryan Day wants January. Basketball is going to have a tough going without a bubble. At this point, it's a disaster with fans.

There certainly are doubts as to whether the other 3 power conferences can pull off a season. Probably less than 50-50. The Administrators of any school would have to pull a team out of a game(s) if enough virus cases start to spread.

Tennis, golf, and masturbating are the only safe spring sports.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not buying that any of these conference that have already cancelled fall football are going to play in spring. the $$$$$ reasons they cancelled fall are still going to be there in the spring. covid is still going to be around.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word Spring is meaningless in this case. The season could start in late February. Ryan Day wants January. Basketball is going to have a tough going without a bubble. At this point, it's a disaster with fans.

There certainly are doubts as to whether the other 3 power conferences can pull off a season. Probably less than 50-50. The Administrators of any school would have to pull a team out of a game(s) if enough virus cases start to spread.

Tennis, golf, and masturbating are the only safe spring sports.

I don't expect there to be spring games for the Big 10. Particularly in Jan/Feb. The weather in Lincoln, Iowa City, Minneapolis, etc. is brutal cold in those months.
The NCAA doesn't even start baseball games until mid-March and those games are 3 game series on the road or multi-team tournaments held in the south (Texas, Arizona, Florida, etc.).

The Big 10 is just kicking the can down the road to keep fans hopes up. As others have said, it's like a parent that doesn't have the guts to tell a child "No". Instead it's "I'll think about it", or "Maybe later" when they have no intention of filling the request. It's a passive aggressive way of saying "STFU about it".

There are also issues of NCAA bylaws regarding practice time. Pre-season practice time is limited and equal for all teams. The amount of time coaches can work with players is limited and equal for all teams. The Big 10 teams have already used some of that time and to my knowledge are still using that time.
I guess come Jan 2021 they can say they are using traditional "Spring practice and Spring Game" time for that, but even then there are strict rules.
If I were the SEC, Big 12, ACC, and end up playing their fall schedules, I'd be holding the NCAA's feet to the fire on how much time the Big 10 has already used practicing, in team meetings, coached in the weight rooms, etc.
5 things to know about how spring ball works

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some league will play in Spring. I'm not sure all those who are saying they're playing in the spring will actually play in the spring.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not buying that any of these conference that have already cancelled fall football are going to play in spring. the $$$$$ reasons they cancelled fall are still going to be there in the spring. covid is still going to be around.

Covid becomes back page news after Nov 3rd IMO.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some league will play in Spring. I'm not sure all those who are saying they're playing in the spring will actually play in the spring.

The NCAA bylaws will have to be adjusted for equity.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA bylaws will have to be adjusted for equity.
The NCAA already said that championships are basically non existent for most leagues. I think we'll see a lot of conference based football at various times in the next 6-8 months.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect there to be spring games for the Big 10. Particularly in Jan/Feb. The weather in Lincoln, Iowa City, Minneapolis, etc. is brutal cold in those months.
The NCAA doesn't even start baseball games until mid-March and those games are 3 game series on the road or multi-team tournaments held in the south (Texas, Arizona, Florida, etc.).

The Big 10 is just kicking the can down the road to keep fans hopes up. As others have said, it's like a parent that doesn't have the guts to tell a child "No". Instead it's "I'll think about it", or "Maybe later" when they have no intention of filling the request. It's a passive aggressive way of saying "STFU about it".

There are also issues of NCAA bylaws regarding practice time. Pre-season practice time is limited and equal for all teams. The amount of time coaches can work with players is limited and equal for all teams. The Big 10 teams have already used some of that time and to my knowledge are still using that time.
I guess come Jan 2021 they can say they are using traditional "Spring practice and Spring Game" time for that, but even then there are strict rules.
If I were the SEC, Big 12, ACC, and end up playing their fall schedules, I'd be holding the NCAA's feet to the fire on how much time the Big 10 has already used practicing, in team meetings, coached in the weight rooms, etc.
5 things to know about how spring ball works

I will not give up hope. I'm well aware of the weather in the Midwest during Jan and Feb. I lived in Ohio.

As Yogi once said, it ain't over until it's over.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA already said that championships are basically non existent for most leagues. I think we'll see a lot of conference based football at various times in the next 6-8 months.

WTF does that have to do with bylaws regarding practice time and the amount of time coaches can spend with athletes?

Obviously everything I pointed out went right over your empty head.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will not give up hope. I'm well aware of the weather in the Midwest during Jan and Feb. I lived in Ohio.

As Yogi once said, it ain't over until it's over.

Warren is counting on that.

Instead of one big swoop, he's slowly pulling the rug out from under you so you have a chance to step off or grab something to keep you from crashing to the floor.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF does that have to do with bylaws regarding practice time and the amount of time coaches can spend with athletes?

Obviously everything I pointed out went right over your empty head.
The NCAA is leaving that up to conferences, really, when it comes to Fall so I doubt there would be an issue with Spring. I'm sure the NCAA would just have to sign off on any plan but wouldn't require any modification of bylaws.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA is leaving that up to conferences, really, when it comes to Fall so I doubt there would be an issue with Spring. I'm sure the NCAA would just have to sign off on any plan but wouldn't require any modification of bylaws.

Provide a link to your assertion.

The bylaws would have to be amended to provide equitable spring time to the SEC, Big 12, and ACC.

What part of "equitable" don't you understand?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"championships are basically non existent for most leagues." does not address NCAA bylaw fall or spring practice time in any way.

It has ZERO to do with any of it.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Provide a link to your assertion.

The bylaws would have to be amended to provide equitable spring time to the SEC, Big 12, and ACC.

What part of "equitable" don't you understand?

The NCAA has already provided exemptions for players opting out of the current season. No permanent changes to the rules were required.

And I think the timeline actually benefits the B12, ACC and SEC more than the B10/Pac12. Currently all teams can do summer camp, and from what I've heard Harbaugh is still practicing the team like it's summer camp. So that evens out. When no games happen, I suspect the teams playing will continue to practice, and then play, their season (should that happen) while the other teams will stop.

The teams playing in the Fall will be allowed, essentially, an early spring practice. And then they'll play their season, while the SEC/B12/ACC, start their normal spring practice. The 2 leagues playing a season will end, about around the same time 3 leagues will end spring practice.

Then they'll basically be back to a normal schedule. The B10/Pac12 lose a normal spring practice, in place of another "camp" session before the spring season. Timelines could be adjusted by the NCAA where appropriate to make it all equal out.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA has already provided exemptions for players opting out of the current season. No permanent changes to the rules were required.

And I think the timeline actually benefits the B12, ACC and SEC more than the B10/Pac12. Currently all teams can do summer camp, and from what I've heard Harbaugh is still practicing the team like it's summer camp. So that evens out. When no games happen, I suspect the teams playing will continue to practice, and then play, their season (should that happen) while the other teams will stop.

The teams playing in the Fall will be allowed, essentially, an early spring practice. And then they'll play their season, while the SEC/B12/ACC, start their normal spring practice. The 2 leagues playing a season will end, about around the same time 3 leagues will end spring practice.

Then they'll basically be back to a normal schedule. The B10/Pac12 lose a normal spring practice, in place of another "camp" session before the spring season. Timelines could be adjusted by the NCAA where appropriate to make it all equal out.

What does that have to do with bylaws regarding every teams overall time practicing for a season?

tenor.gif

Provide a link to support the rest of your gibberish.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys know that the remaining conferences are just waiting to see what happens with infection rates once classes resume, right?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You made my point. They have been and ARE using practice for a football season.

If they use all that time, the bylaws say they can use 15 days in the spring for practice and the spring game.

If the Big 10 and PAC want more than 15 days to practice for a spring schedule then the bylaws are going to have to be amended to make things equitable for the SEC, Big 12, and ACC.

You're fucking dumb as a box of rocks.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does that have to do with bylaws regarding every teams overall time practicing for a season?

tenor.gif

Provide a link to support the rest of your gibberish.
You keep asking for a link about a hypothetical situation. What link? What do you want me to prove? I very much explained how the overall practice time would/could balance out. And the NCAA would absolutely sign off on the B10/Pac12 playing a spring season in this environment; if for nothing else the money.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You made my point. They have been and ARE using practice for a football season.

If they use all that time, the bylaws say they can use 15 days in the spring for practice and the spring game.

If the Big 10 and PAC want more than 15 days to practice for a spring schedule then the bylaws are going to have to be amended to make things equitable for the SEC, Big 12, and ACC.

You're fucking dumb as a box of rocks.
You keep saying the NCAA would have to re-write these bylaws and they just wouldn't. They'd just have to sign off on the plan that was implemented by the conferences. And I'm not sure if you just aren't smart enough to figure this out but I'll lay it out again:

Summer Camp - Even
All teams are currently practicing.

Season Fall - Even
B10/P12 don't play or practice in the Fall
B12/ACC/SEC Play and practice in the fall

Season Spring - Even
B10/P12 play and practice in the Spring
B12/ACC/SEC Don't play and practice in the Spring

Spring Practice - Even
B10/P12 move spring practice to before Spring Season, have 15 allowable practices
B12/ACC/SEC choose to hold their spring practice as they normally would, 15 allowable practices

What about that is uneven to you?