• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The "Window"

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we are heading into the World Series for the third time in 5 years. Many of us this year were worried that our window was either closing or closed.

However, we have 4 rookies on our post-season roster. One is a starter now (Panik); one is likely a starter within the next year or two (Susac); one is pegged as our "closer of the future" (Strickland); and the other looks to be a solid UTIL player (Duffy). That's 3 "core" members graduating THIS YEAR.

Further, we have at least 3 legit, near-blue-chip prospects in the minors who should be graduating within the next 2 years (Crick, Beede, Carbonell) and a whole slew of prospects who have the ceiling to be blue-chippers within the next couple years (Arroyo, Williamson, Cabrera, Blackburn, Mejia, Blach, Garcia, etc).

I am thinking that our window is NOT closing, and we could legitimately continue this run for at least a few more years.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of a blue-chip prospect is Crick though? If his command doesn't make real improvements next season, he looks more like a relief pitcher. Beene has similar command issues

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Crick will be a future Ace, but I think he could be a low 2 or a solid 3. I am not too concerned with his relief appearances late in the season. They were in the playoffs, and they MAY have just been trying him in specific situations (pulled out of my ass, I have not heard/read anything). If he starts next season in the Sacto bully, then I will agree that he has lost luster.

Beede has control issues, but a lot of pitcher RIGHT out of college do. He was a top prospect out of HS and was expected to go top 10 in the this past draft. He has pedigree. Anything he did this past year professionally means nothing. He was the Friday pitcher on the national championship team. He was spent.

Also, who labeled Panik a blue-chipper, even at the start of this season? He was one of many maybes. I believe we have enough maybes in our system to have a few of them hit the same way.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more worried about having over 1/3 of the payroll going to CAin, Pagan, Scutaro, and Timmeh.

Of course, most higher-spending teams have some questionable contracts.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more worried about having over 1/3 of the payroll going to CAin, Pagan, Scutaro, and Timmeh.

Of course, most higher-spending teams have some questionable contracts.

That was the case this year.

And two of these contracts expire after next season.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember, we have no shot next year anyway (odd numbered year) so might as well let Timmy finish.

I'm only half kidding...

Just means we will have a to 15 pick again in the '16 draft.

I think the Giants found the perfect pattern; World Series-Bust-Workd Series-Bust...

Keeps the farm producing top players AND collects lots of jewelry.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on what you mean by a 'window'. I think we will always be in the mix for the near future. We are a competitive team. But, in the same breath we are not a lock for a division title. The division is just too balanced and 162 games is a long stretch. I do think we will always be in the hunt for a playoff spot as will quite a few other teams. The WS round is a pure crapshoot. I don't care what 'seed' you enter the playoffs as .... it's a tough road to the WS round. You have to take out at least one other division winner on the way. In some cases you'll have to take out two. We took out two.