• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Walking Dead

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,057.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if I remember correctly. It shows all the other cops draw their weapons when Daryl shoots Dawn. Remember they all had holstered their weapons before. Don't have it DVR'd anymore so I cant go back & check but I am pretty sure it was Dawn that killed Beth.

Pretty sure this theory has been debunked (if I remembered it correctly)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched the scene...

The "bullet hole in her forehead" is just a big piece of blood splatter. And she mouthed "I didn't mean it".

The theory is shit...

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
walking-dead-season-5-memes-161.jpg

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God, I love this fucking show! Hands down the best show on TV! February 8th is a long, long, LONG ways away.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God, I love this fucking show! Hands down the best show on TV! February 8th is a long, long, LONG ways away.

I know......it's friggin' addicting!

I watch several programs, but The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and South Park are the three that I don't want to be without.

I haven't been into any TV programs this intensely since Syfy channel's remake of Battlestar Galactica several years ago!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG.

Seriously, people. It is a show about zombies. How do you propose we bring back a dead char....

Oooohhhhh....

The funny thing is they can't even bring her back as a zombie.

The best they can realistically hope for is the occasional flashback.

If they want to get unreasonable I suppose they can hope that Edwards cloned her or that that scene and the rest of this season was all just a dream by someone. :L

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Writers/producers have GOT to respect the opinion of the fans because, without us, there is no show.

I was at one of my many Star Trek conventions in the 90's in San Diego and Brandon Braga came out for a Q&A.

Fan: "Why did you kill off Kahlar"? (Warf's mate and mother of Alexander)

Brandon replied with a heavy sigh. "I get asked this at every...single...convention.We were all sitting around the room and we had the entire season story boarded by that point, and somone said, 'what would happen if we killed off Kahlar"?

Fan: "So, let me get this straight...you killed off one of the most beloved charcters in TNG on a whim"?!

Brandon: "Yeah".

Fan: "Yeah, you're going to get asked that at every convention you do".

They're still paying for it because fans still ask.

"Dexter" was supposed to have a spin off with Harrison as the main charcter but it never made it because the fans were SO pissed off about how the series ended. It was Dexter in a chair, in an empty apt. just staring the walls. One of my fellow fans put it this way, "In all the things we could have hoped for, we got the exact opposite of all of them at once". The fans don't trust Michael C. Hall anymore and he's paying for it because someone asks him, daily, why he ended it the way he did.

True Blood, by contrast, ended the way the fans wanted it to. Happy endings all around. All characters got what they wanted.

Writer take emense time and trouble to create charcters the fans like, and adapt them to how the actor plays them as time goes on. It's a relationship. As a fan, you get attached to these characters and you go on the journey with them. You get to know them. And writers cultivate that and depend on it. So to just end her like that makes no sense to me.

Beth was a beloved charcter for many reasons on this show - and she had more story to tell. She was killed, essentially, so that Daryll and Maggie could develop. Sorry, that's not good enough - not for Beth. She was to adored by the fans to just kill her for no reason.

The fans are beyond pissed on this. 30K of them mailed plastic spoons to the shows producer demanding she be brought back.

I get that it's the zombie apocalypse but you, as a writer/producer, must take care which characters you eliminate and for what reasons. If she had died doing something true to her charcter - to sacrifice to save someone else's life (like Daryll, Maggie or the baby), then we'd get it. But to have her die just because?

That's the kind of shit that can cost you fans. The less viewers you have, the less the show can charge advertisers, and the less money the show makes and at some point, there is no more show.

It was a bad move by AMC and there's a reason they pulled it as their mid-season finale. Had they had a show the next week, viewership would have been hurt.

As it is, I don't know that I'll be back in February.

It's not so much that she died, but how and why that bothers me.

I'm not sure what they can do to fix it - Beth was shot in the head so they can't bring her back without doing the 'dream sequence' thing and that's not their style. They've committed on this and it might just cost them.

I write murder mysteries in my spare time - and at times, you can feel like God behind the keyboard. You're controlling everything these characters do. Everything they say. All the circumstances of their lives. Absolutely everything. I try to write things that are true to the character and never kill anyone off unless it's true to who they are.

Is that real life?

No, but that's one of the fun things about writing fiction - you get to write things the way they should be, or want them to be. People die in real life for arbitrary reasons - there's no reason they need to do so in fiction.

For those that are crying, "But that's not real life".

I got news for you, neither is the zombie apocalypse.

The whole premise of the show is ficticious in and of itself, so taking that extra step of not killing people off on a whim - to respect the character and audience - isn't that much of a reach.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Writers/producers have GOT to respect the opinion of the fans because, without us, there is no show.

I was at one of my many Star Trek conventions in the 90's in San Diego and Brandon Braga came out for a Q&A.

Fan: "Why did you kill off Kahlar"? (Warf's mate and mother of Alexander)

Brandon replied with a heavy sigh. "I get asked this at every...single...convention.We were all sitting around the room and we had the entire season story boarded by that point, and somone said, 'what would happen if we killed off Kahlar"?

Fan: "So, let me get this straight...you killed off one of the most beloved charcters in TNG on a whim"?!

Brandon: "Yeah".

Fan: "Yeah, you're going to get asked that at every convention you do".

They're still paying for it because fans still ask.

"Dexter" was supposed to have a spin off with Harrison as the main charcter but it never made it because the fans were SO pissed off about how the series ended. It was Dexter in a chair, in an empty apt. just staring the walls. One of my fellow fans put it this way, "In all the things we could have hoped for, we got the exact opposite of all of them at once". The fans don't trust Michael C. Hall anymore and he's paying for it because someone asks him, daily, why he ended it the way he did.

True Blood, by contrast, ended the way the fans wanted it to. Happy endings all around. All characters got what they wanted.

Writer take emense time and trouble to create charcters the fans like, and adapt them to how the actor plays them as time goes on. It's a relationship. As a fan, you get attached to these characters and you go on the journey with them. You get to know them. And writers cultivate that and depend on it. So to just end her like that makes no sense to me.

Beth was a beloved charcter for many reasons on this show - and she had more story to tell. She was killed, essentially, so that Daryll and Maggie could develop. Sorry, that's not good enough - not for Beth. She was to adored by the fans to just kill her for no reason.

The fans are beyond pissed on this. 30K of them mailed plastic spoons to the shows producer demanding she be brought back.

I get that it's the zombie apocalypse but you, as a writer/producer, must take care which characters you eliminate and for what reasons. If she had died doing something true to her charcter - to sacrifice to save someone else's life (like Daryll, Maggie or the baby), then we'd get it. But to have her die just because?

That's the kind of shit that can cost you fans. The less viewers you have, the less the show can charge advertisers, and the less money the show makes and at some point, there is no more show.

It was a bad move by AMC and there's a reason they pulled it as their mid-season finale. Had they had a show the next week, viewership would have been hurt.

As it is, I don't know that I'll be back in February.

It's not so much that she died, but how and why that bothers me.

I'm not sure what they can do to fix it - Beth was shot in the head so they can't bring her back without doing the 'dream sequence' thing and that's not their style. They've committed on this and it might just cost them.

I write murder mysteries in my spare time - and at times, you can feel like God behind the keyboard. You're controlling everything these characters do. Everything they say. All the circumstances of their lives. Absolutely everything. I try to write things that are true to the character and never kill anyone off unless it's true to who they are.

Is that real life?

No, but that's one of the fun things about writing fiction - you get to write things the way they should be, or want them to be. People die in real life for arbitrary reasons - there's no reason they need to do so in fiction.

For those that are crying, "But that's not real life".

I got news for you, neither is the zombie apocalypse.

The whole premise of the show is ficticious in and of itself, so taking that extra step of not killing people off on a whim - to respect the character and audience - isn't that much of a reach.

I don't necessarily agree with your points, but they are presented well.

One of the things that make this show great is that you are on the edge of your seat while watching because just about any character can die in any episode. It adds to the tension that the characters feel living in their new world.

Beth was a secondary character. She would never be mentioned in the same breath as Rick, Carl, Michone, Darryl, Carrol or, to lessor extents, Maggie, Glenn or Abraham. That makes her character even MORE liable to be "off'd" on a whim.

I think they did a good job since the fall of the prison to make fans care about her. Prior to that, all I remember reading about her is that fans hated her sing-song tendency and could not wait to see her head blown off. Now that it happens, the fans are up in arms. Seems to me like the writers/producers are in a catch-22.

I agree that her death was questionable. The writing on the show has been a bit too soap-opera-ish since Gimple took over, for my taste. But the overall path of the show has been better since he took over, as well. Basically, every ball he hits will not be over the wall. Sometimes he will just hit a double where the runner on 1st gets thrown out at home. Some will like the double, some will get pissed at the baserunning.

Basically, I think it is a good sign for the show as a whole that the fanbase is large enough be able to piss off so many people over an essentially minor character.