• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The unofficially official White Sox offseason thread

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May this thread be used for all activities in which our beloved White Sox will be partaking during this offseason, along with all opinions, wish lists, etc. Which is sad because so many fans of playoff teams are still posting in-season threads on their boards. Maybe next year we will be doing likewise in October.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then there's this article.

Why J.D. Martinez would be a perfect fit for Sox

And altho it's not part of this particular piece, there was another story from one of the local Boston rags where the writer thinks if JD opts out, he'll be the perfect fit for the White Sox. One not-so-small caveat tho: his agent is Scott Boras.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then there's this article.

Why J.D. Martinez would be a perfect fit for Sox

And altho it's not part of this particular piece, there was another story from one of the local Boston rags where the writer thinks if JD opts out, he'll be the perfect fit for the White Sox. One not-so-small caveat tho: his agent is Scott Boras.

I'm not letting this stuff get my hopes up. Seems like a great option at DH...I'd probably knock on Reinsdorf's door myself if he was a lefty.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Yolmer toast? Sox may opt to non-tender in lieu of a possible arbitration award of $6.2m

Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2020 White Sox
i hope yolmer ends up on a team that deserves him. a .250 hitting infielder with his defensive talent is first, not one of the worst hitters in the league (whoever wrote that is a dunce), and second, a player any team would want! i can see how he is less desirable to the sox considering what they have in the wings and garcia on the bench. i think the smartest thing they could do is sign him then trade him.
imo this is a guy who's been jerked around his whole career and his numbers would be a lot better with someone else.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hope yolmer ends up on a team that deserves him. a .250 hitting infielder with his defensive talent is first, not one of the worst hitters in the league (whoever wrote that is a dunce), and second, a player any team would want! i can see how he is less desirable to the sox considering what they have in the wings and garcia on the bench. i think the smartest thing they could do is sign him then trade him.
imo this is a guy who's been jerked around his whole career and his numbers would be a lot better with someone else.

Comments like these are just commonplace for this oddity of a team.

We sucked ass on offense in 2019. But yet, every time somebody brings up a player outside of RF or DH, we're f*cking ok/good/great or whatever.

McCann...Good.
Jimenez...Good.
Moncada...Good.
Abreu...Good.
Anderson...Good.
Garcia...Good.
Sanchez...Good.

By all rights this team should EXPLODE for runs if we shore up the 2 insufficient spots based on all this individual player evaluation, right?

I have my doubts. I should expect us to be top half of the league in scoring if we end up with JD Martinez, Madrigal, Robert in replacement of the 2 sh*t spots and Sanchez? Right? We'll find out come April. This turn is going to have to be statistically/historically monumental. Viva le 2020 I guess.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you want to know why the sox won't be going after the pitching they need ... look no further than this:

White Sox Recent History Prove Owner Jerry Reinsdorf's 'Second Place' Comments Likely True

this is why i hate reinsdork.

Meh. I don't buy this for a second. I won't go out and say Reinsdorf is the best owner ever, but he wants the White Sox to win. The 2005 Championship was bigger than all 6 Bulls championships combined to that dude.

This comment was probably tongue-in-cheek and/or is being taken completely out of context years later. God knows that happens multiple times daily between us posters on here...much less what was probably a candid conversation between owners.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comments like these are just commonplace for this oddity of a team.

We sucked ass on offense in 2019. But yet, every time somebody brings up a player outside of RF or DH, we're f*cking ok/good/great or whatever.

McCann...Good.
Jimenez...Good.
Moncada...Good.
Abreu...Good.
Anderson...Good.
Garcia...Good.
Sanchez...Good.

By all rights this team should EXPLODE for runs if we shore up the 2 insufficient spots based on all this individual player evaluation, right?

I have my doubts. I should expect us to be top half of the league in scoring if we end up with JD Martinez, Madrigal, Robert in replacement of the 2 sh*t spots and Sanchez? Right? We'll find out come April. This turn is going to have to be statistically/historically monumental. Viva le 2020 I guess.

I think a big issue is that we missed Jiminez and Anderson for extended periods of time. Jiminez also suffered from inconsistency until later in the year due to this. Abreu did not get going early on. Moncada also had a DL stint.

It really was not all that often that we had all of those guys healthy and in the lineup together. September was really about it. There were other brief periods... but nothing extended.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things should start to heat up a bit now that the WS is over. Sometime next week some players will be deciding whether to opt out or if teams will retain their respective people via the team options.

I'm not counting on landing Cole at all. Just about every sports program and website out there has him playing where he grew up in SoCal, meaning the Angels, Dodgers, or Padres are the teams that stand any reasonable chance of inking him. And all of them have the coin to do so. Of course the Yankees supposedly will give it a shot as well. What else is new. If Strasbourg opts out of his contract, and that's not a given, being he has 4 years and $100m still committed to him, maybe we could go after him. But I suspect our best shots at landing a SP will be either by attempting to sign Wheeler or Odorizzi.

Our best shot at signing a marquee FA will likely be done by inking JD Martinez, but even here we have two big ifs to make this happen. 1, that he opts out of his current contract with the Red Sox, which most believe he will, and 2, will the White Sox sign a Scott Boras client to a major contract. It's the latter if that has me concerned.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After yet another Bears flop, I'm saying fuck it and spending this fall and winter concentrating on the Sox. They're our only hope now. A team that won just 72 games last season is our only hope. Good lord.