• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Texans Have Contacted The Pats

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profootball reported the other day that theres no way this trade happens, but its smokescreens all over now. I cant find the article..

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profootball reported the other day that theres no way this trade happens, but its smokescreens all over now. I cant find the article..

I know O'Brien was high on Mallett, remember he was with the Pats when Mallett was drafted. IMO this all depends on the Pats, if they feel he is the future then they need to act upon retaining him, if not what do they think is fare value, certainly not a 5th and 6th that is absurd.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd turn down their second without hesitation.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd turn down their second without hesitation.

You are not going to get a first for an unproven commodity.

4th and 5th...???

No way.
1st.
Maybe 2nd and 3rd.

Again you will not get a 1st for an unproven commodity, the value is not there and the Texans would be dumb to give up a 2nd and 3rd. 2nd and fifth at best makes sense.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they should offer more. I'm saying I would tell them they were wasting their time. Mallett has more value as a backup than as a trade.

I'd consider second and third but probably say no there too.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they should offer more. I'm saying I would tell them they were wasting their time. Mallett has more value as a backup than as a trade.

I'd consider second and third but probably say no there too.

So then do you feel the Pats need to offer a serious contract extension or new contract to Mallett this year? If we don't do that this year I have little doubt he will walk next year and if that is the case we might as well get something significant for him.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. I have stated that in the past.

But let's say he walks, at a deal we don't want to match, making it respectable money. They could very well get a third there.

The end calculation in my mind is simple, though. This year, if Brady gets injured short term, I believe Mallett is significantly more likely to get us wins than someone off the street. I'd rather take that and a likely third than a second and third. Every year left with Brady should be aimed at a Super Bowl. A quality backup QB is more important than a good chunk of starters. Keep him unless someone is willing to give up a pick in the top half of the first round. (And yes, I am aware that that's too much. But other teams' valuation doesn't change that he is more valuable to us than them.)

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. I have stated that in the past.

But let's say he walks, at a deal we don't want to match, making it respectable money. They could very well get a third there.

The end calculation in my mind is simple, though. This year, if Brady gets injured short term, I believe Mallett is significantly more likely to get us wins than someone off the street. I'd rather take that and a likely third than a second and third. Every year left with Brady should be aimed at a Super Bowl. A quality backup QB is more important than a good chunk of starters. Keep him unless someone is willing to give up a pick in the top half of the first round. (And yes, I am aware that that's too much. But other teams' valuation doesn't change that he is more valuable to us than them.)

Okay so you realize that if he does not sign an extension and is UFA next year we get nothing at all. We essentially spent a third round pick on a guy we never played and will get nothing for.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would be extremely likely to get a high compensatory pick. We would have spent a third rounder on quality insurance and a third rounder back.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would be extremely likely to get a high compensatory pick. We would have spent a third rounder on quality insurance and a third rounder back.

I don't think that comp pick will be what you expect, if he goes to a team like Cleveland or Oakland whom one player alone cannot improve that comp pick may be a lot lower then you might expect. IMO Mallett at this time has the Pats by the balls and IMO he should squeeze them for all he can get. Also he would be UFA so I am not sure comp picks come into play.

JasonCarrier

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mallet and NE's 2nd for Texas 2nd and 3rd

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The compensatory pick is based primarily on his contract (it's complicated and the NFL hides specifics).

Compensatory picks are pretty much exclusively applied to UFAs. Anyone else would be covered elsewhere and likely not eligible.

JasonCarrier

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why not?

We improve our 2nd and gain the first pick in the 3rd round.

that is better than losing Mallet to free agency in a year and our 2nd pick

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because a second and third for just Mallett isn't good enough. He offers a greater chance to contribute to a Super Bowl run while brady is here than a second and third rounder do.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The compensatory pick is based primarily on his contract (it's complicated and the NFL hides specifics).

Compensatory picks are pretty much exclusively applied to UFAs. Anyone else would be covered elsewhere and likely not eligible.

My understanding was that if you spent four years with a team and were unsigned you became an UFA and there are no guarantees that team would get a comp pick. I need to try to find a link

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because a second and third for just Mallett isn't good enough. He offers a greater chance to contribute to a Super Bowl run while brady is here than a second and third rounder do.

You don't know this we know as much about Mettenberger or AJ McCarron as we do Mallett. We have no idea at all if he can play at this level, exp wise he is a rookie.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding was that if you spent four years with a team and were unsigned you became an UFA and there are no guarantees that team would get a comp pick. I need to try to find a link

You're thinking restricted free agents.

Compensatory picks are entirely separate. Mike Wallace gained Pittsburg a third last year. It is any free agents you lose (who make over x amount, with other factors weighed in as well) minus any you sign (same restrictions). The actual formula is hidden but any high priced free agent is likely to get you picks back.

Someone like Peyton, who was released, would not.