• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The single greatest rock song of all time (in your opinion)

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Satisfaction is a GOAT choice, not even my personal favorite of their repertoire. Play with Fire maybe, or Paint It, Black.

Paint it Black is a reason I love the Stones Imax concert on Bluray.

Only video I've heard it live on. Also Can't Always Get What You Want.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of an essentially Canuck band......

I had to go back over this thread to check if this was there. Nope.

But it fucking should have been! I might even give it the nod over Whipping Post.

Beautiful song. Made even better by The Staples.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is she really going out with him? by Joe Jackson

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My honorable mention:

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear to Christ, if @yoga≈surfing comes in here and posts 30 fucking random songs, I'm going to triangulate his IP address, drive to California, and fuck him up so bad that he's gonna wish that he had never heard a rock song in his entire life.
That's funny shit right there.

I'll go with a jam from my present favorite band. From their first album naturally.

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny shit right there.

I'll go with a jam from my present favorite band. From their first album naturally.

Haha I think I just made this thread so I could write the joke in the second post about me and Used 2 B Hu being married and him cheating on me and me crying to "Brilliant Disguise." That one got a number of "Funny's" back in the day but sadly they were removed when the site reset a while ago.

That's a bad ass heavy metal tune you've got posted. I had never heard of Kyuss previously, I'll have to check them out further.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I was born in the wrong way or born on the wrong day but a big part of the appeal of music is growing up with it. There is no way I could tell you the greatest song because I wasn't young in the 70s. Or alive in the 70s. I greatly appreciate tracks like Stairway to Heaven and Layla. Those almost seem close to objectively perfect answers but Im more likely to turn up the radio if Everlong hits the radio and for the most part Foo Fighters sucks noodles. But I grew up with it.

The best songs from when I've been alive are probably Sweet Child o Mine, Master of Puppets, and Yellow Ledbetter. GNR and Metallica were the two biggest bands for awhile until the Seattle scene kicked in. So thats my pick.

I will say that American Girl might be my favorite classic rock song. I've been a huge Tom Petty fan as I've gotten older.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha I think I just made this thread so I could write the joke in the second post about me and Used 2 B Hu being married and him cheating on me and me crying to "Brilliant Disguise." That one got a number of "Funny's" back in the day but sadly they were removed when the site reset a while ago.

That's a bad ass heavy metal tune you've got posted. I had never heard of Kyuss previously, I'll have to check them out further.
Wish I would've saw the thread. Sounds like it would've been good for some grins n giggles.

You probably never heard of them because they broke up in 1995, at least the version of Kyuss who were playing Beginning Of What's About To Happen. which came out in 1991 on Kyuss's debut album. Remember how I said genius gets thrown around too easily. Welk at the trisk of throwing it arround. Josh Homme was one of the founding members of Kyuss. He's the front-man for Queens of the Stone Age. He was only 14 when him and two other teens, John Garcia, singer, and Brant Bjork, drums formed Kyuss except they weren't called Kyuss then, but never mind all that. Check out Kyuss. I'm sure there'll be other songs you dig from them. I like that they rock and groove, at least for me.

Oh and at the risk of being guilty of what I accused others of.. Homme's is probably a freakin genius who's been in or started a shit-load of cool bands.

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I was born in the wrong way or born on the wrong day but a big part of the appeal of music is growing up with it. There is no way I could tell you the greatest song because I wasn't young in the 70s. Or alive in the 70s. I greatly appreciate tracks like Stairway to Heaven and Layla. Those almost seem close to objectively perfect answers but Im more likely to turn up the radio if Everlong hits the radio and for the most part Foo Fighters sucks noodles. But I grew up with it.

The best songs from when I've been alive are probably Sweet Child o Mine, Master of Puppets, and Yellow Ledbetter. GNR and Metallica were the two biggest bands for awhile until the Seattle scene kicked in. So thats my pick.

I will say that American Girl might be my favorite classic rock song. I've been a huge Tom Petty fan as I've gotten older.
If by "growing up with it" you mean being between the ages of 5-18 or 13-21 or something when it was initially released (i.e., the music you listened to in your youth), then I disagree. But I do think that music is cool too.

If by "growing up with it" means being alive for when it was released- regardless of your age- then I 100% fucking agree that it's somehow more meaningful.

But I also believe that music you listened to that was released in a different time period that you've never really lived can also be pretty cool too. Because I can pick out the things in those Bruce Springsteen or John Cougar Mellencamp songs and think about how I remember when things were like that, even if I never lived in the 70s or 80s.

And then some music (like Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Peter Gabriel, Neil Young, Prince, etc.)- they just really exist out of time for me. Truly timeless work that would be meaningful anywhere and anytime IMO.

Last edited:

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um... Clayton you liked my comment literally 1 second after I posted it. The fuck?

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um... Clayton you liked my comment literally 1 second after I posted it. The fuck?
Oh shit, I think I posted it initially then edited it later on, and then like 3 minutes later I reposted it and I got an alert that said you liked my post a second later... I was like WTF.

This is what happens when you listen to Kid Cudi when you're really fucking stoned.

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By the way Clayton, this is a former poster who used to be on these boards. Oxymoron As A Recipe... well, I'm sure you can figure that one out. Good talking to you again buddy. How have you been?

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just some kick ass R&R