• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Shortstop Championship Belt

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not knowing everything isn't a problem at all, none of us know everything and most of us don't pretend that we do. But if you don't know that much about the pre-1973 Red Sox, why enter into a conversation and offer a confident opinion on the reason those teams didn't win more?
I do. Just look at my screenname.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Jeter certainly wasn't the worst shortstop in the league in that period.
2. I agree with some of this, I think that Tejada held the belt until 2006 so I think the year should be changed. Jeter, however, certainly did enough to gain the belt in 2006
3. I think you're giving the voters too much credit thinking that they look at any stats at all, even if it is just fielding percentage. I'm sure they rely mostly on "this guy has a reputation and I saw him make a nice play against my team once, I'll vote for him"

You're right, I left out a very important word in my post, "defensive". He was arguably the worst defensive shortstop during that time period.

Thanks for pointing that out, I don't think he is a terrible shortstop.

Last edited by a moderator:

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, I left out a very important word in my post, "defensive". He was arguably the worst defensive shortstop during that time period.

Thanks for pointing that out, I don't think he is a terrible shortstop.
I don't think I'd agree with your argument. No way anyone could ever convince me that Jeter was a worse defensive shortstop than Miguel Tejada or Carlos Guillen.

Jeter's defense was always overrated, but during his prime, it wasn't *that* bad. From 2010 to now, it's been absolutely, unbearably atrocious, but he was actually very good in 2009 (even the advanced metrics agree), and before that he was below average, but not a poor defender. There were guys during Jeter's prime who were flat-out bad.

Tejada
Guillen
Hanley Ramirez
Michael Young
Rich Aurilia
Felipe Lopez
Deivi Cruz
Cristian Guzman
Angel Berroa
Julio Lugo
Yuniesky Betancourt

All starting shortstops during Jeter's prime who I'd say were worse than Jeter. I know Jeter outranks these guys at the bottom of the Total Zone and Defensive Runs Saved lists, but that's mainly because Jeter stayed at the position and accumulated the most innings by far whereas these guys were all either moved or benched eventually.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without reading the thread Jose Reyes has to fall in there somewhere. He was arguably the best all around player in baseball for a season or 2 let alone best shortstop. And his D shits on Hanley's.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since no Ozzie Smith, Omar Vizquel, etc....then its safe to say, that defense really has nothing to do with this list at all and can be called "Best Offensive SS Championship Belt"

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The BBWAA's seemingly blind attitude toward Alan Trammel is mind-boggling to me. The guy should really already be in the HOF. Last year when they sent their little message to the steroid era, they could have inducted him and Edgar Martinez. (here comes the stupid "DH doesn't count" rebuttals). This is just one man's opinion here. That would have sent a good message to the so-called cheaters, I think.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since no Ozzie Smith, Omar Vizquel, etc....then its safe to say, that defense really has nothing to do with this list at all and can be called "Best Offensive SS Championship Belt"

No, it has to do with all around value. Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel were never the best shortstop in baseball. Smith came a lot closer than Vizquel ever did, but Smith was never a better all-around player than Yount, Ripken or Trammell.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, so from 1996 to 2000, Omar's superior defense with batting average and SB's doesn't get him even close...got ya...if he hit 20 to 40 hrs...then he would.

Smith was much closer....

like I will repeat, defense is not equally weighed AT ALL, its like Jeter getting the GOLD GLOVE because of his BAT...

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, so from 1996 to 2000, Omar's superior defense with batting average and SB's doesn't get him even close...got ya...if he hit 20 to 40 hrs...then he would.

like I will repeat, defense is not equally weighed AT ALL, its like Jeter getting the GOLD GLOVE because of his BAT...

Defense is not "equally weighed" for good reason. I'll write it out in equation form this time

Team run scoring = team offensive contributions
Team run prevention = team defensive contributions + team pitching contributions

So if defense is as valuable as offense, then either pitching has no value or a run prevented is significantly more valuable than a run scored. Do you think that either of those things is true?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another way of looking at it... the all-time highest single-season defensive WAR for any position player is 5.3. Derek Jeter's offensive WAR has topped this total in 10 of 17 seasons as a full-time player.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by the way Baseball Almanac doesn't agree with you either...

[SIZE=-1]Fewest Errors[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]In A Seasos (SS)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]150+ Games Played at SS[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-1]AL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Cal Ripken, Jr.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Baltimore[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1990[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Omar Vizquel[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Cleveland[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2000[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]NL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Rey Ordonez[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]New York[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]4[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1999[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]San Francisco[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2006[/SIZE]

not only was Vizquel the best ever in a season, he has the ALL TIME record in the AL and the NL, just to prove a point, lol

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

[SIZE=-1]AL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1990[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2000[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]NL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]New York[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]4[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1999[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2006[/SIZE]

not only was Vizquel the best ever in a season, he has the ALL TIME record in the AL and the NL, just to prove a point, lol

Looking at error totals to judge defensive value suggests that the player's goal on defense is to avoid errors. I think if you asked Omar he'd say that his goal on every pitch was not to avoid an error but to get the batter/runner out.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense is not "equally weighed" for good reason. I'll write it out in equation form this time

Team run scoring = team offensive contributions
Team run prevention = team defensive contributions + team pitching contributions

So if defense is as valuable as offense, then either pitching has no value or a run prevented is significantly more valuable than a run scored. Do you think that either of those things is true?

fair enough, like I said in the beginning, offense is the key to this Belt list.....defense is glanced at and not very important at all.....thats all I said in the beginning...

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at error totals to judge defensive value suggests that the player's goal on defense is to avoid errors. I think if you asked Omar he'd say that his goal on every pitch was not to avoid an error but to get the batter/runner out.

seriously? all players defensive goals is to get the batters out, they don't stop and think about if they will make an error or not...unless your talking about fringe players.

and they sure don't care about WAR, DWAR and Sabermetrics, lol...

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
accidently ran across this while looking up some other info....Ozzy Smith's career offensive WAR better than Brooks Robinson, Ichiro, David Wright...didn't see who else, just happened by the info. if he is ranked that high in offensive WAR for his career...then the defense would put him absolutely up there...

but hey, its not my list, so its right for you.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
accidently ran across this while looking up some other info....Ozzy Smith's career offensive WAR better than Brooks Robinson, Ichiro, David Wright...didn't see who else, just happened by the info. if he is ranked that high in offensive WAR for his career...then the defense would put him absolutely up there...

WAR's a cumulative stat...Smith's offensive WAR is 47.9 in 10,778 plate appearances and Wright's is 47.6 in 5,927 plate appearances....Wright's going to easily pass Smith, and then some (barring a sudden end to his career) so why even bring him up. Smith also has 1,500 more plate appearances than Ichiro and is barely ahead of him in WAR, so again, how does this help Smith?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're actually suggesting that Vizquel was equal or superior to A-Rod, Nomar and Jeter in the late 1990s? Because of defense, batting average and steals?

But you're "lolling" at me?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

[SIZE=-1]AL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1990[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2000[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]NL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]New York[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]4[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1999[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2006[/SIZE]

This was supposed to prove a point?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fair enough, like I said in the beginning, offense is the key to this Belt list.....defense is glanced at and not very important at all.....thats all I said in the beginning...
Except that this statement is completely wrong. Well done.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What does career value have to do with this discussion?

Ozzie is easily an all-time great and worthy HOFer, so I'm not sure what your point is with this post either. Smith was very underrated offensively. Smith was never a better all-around player (defense included) than Yount, Ripken or Trammell for any extended period of time.